Author Topic: Front Loading washers  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Big Bear

• VIP Member
Front Loading washers
« on: September 21, 2008, 06:49:13 PM »
Hi all,
I tried doing some searches on repair problems with different models and could not figure out how to do this so here goes.

Is there any way to search for repair problems on different models of front loading washing machines. My wife and I are considering purchasing new washer and dryer with GE models being considered first due to good local dealership.

Any models to consider more than others?

TIA

Big Bear

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Front Loading washers
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 05:20:35 AM »
GE washers are about as worthy as the rest of the BRANDS you see these days. Their MODELS are made with much the same components as are the competitors' models. That being said, you should also consider one other factor before you commit to one particular brand... service later on.

Find out who, if anyone, reresents GE Factory service in your area before you buy anything. If they don't have a factory presence in your town, consider another brand that does, Whirlpool for example. It's not so much the performance of the machine that you are buying nowadays, but the ability to get it fixed  when it breaks.

Regarding internet research on appliances, it's hard to make decisions when you read every whining post like "Why I'll never buy another GE" or similar articles based on poor experiences with getting service. Even Consumer Reports is biased in their offering of what they perceive as the "better buy", so you can't really make an honest assessment of appliances on the Internet. Sites such as this, where professional technicians have a say-so in the matter, might be a better avenue to discover issues that the sellers may not disclose.

At least by reading thru some of the repair articles on the various brands mentioned in this forum, you can get an idea of what others have experienced with their purchases.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 05:34:35 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 07:11:13 AM »
One other item is if you are going to repair it yourself (in the future), availability of service manuals on-line (GE, Bosch, and a few others are hard to come by) and price of parts... GE is 2x - 3x the price of some other brands (for the same part)
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 08:28:05 AM »
Get the model number off the machine and look up the parts list on line. Find out what the price of the control panel components will be. Buying a Cadillac is fine if you can pay 400 bucks for a starter. By the way GE means Great Expense.They should change the Logo to GEW as in Get extended warrany.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Big Bear

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 08:57:20 AM »
Thanks for the replys.

Where I presently live I have access to parts for all the major brands and also service personal. I intend to do my own service but would like to think it won't be needed. If the new models are that bad...... do I really want one? Old machine is ten plus years and still works.

I have trouble reading forums since it is hard to decide what percentage of owners are having troubles. Example: Reading about BMW motorcycle final drive failures you would think 90% of them are failing when it is actually around the 4% range.

Is there any way to do a search on just front load washers without being model number or brand specific?

Big Bear

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 10:58:01 AM »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 01:39:28 PM »
From what I have learned about front loaders, Nope I would not want one.As far as these domestic front loaders being anything like a Huebsch washer that they have at the laundry matt, there is NO COMPARISON! Commercial laundry equipment is simply 1000 times more durable and Superior than any design I have studdied in these domestic washers. Don't let any young bucko salesman tell you they are. I was a Huebsch (pronounced hipps) parts distributor. These machines are bad to the bone. When one of these tear up they have done about a million loads of laundry. Very reliable. You look at the trunnion on one of those babys and then look at the equivalent on one of these domestic washers and their is no comparison. It is litterally like comparing a Yugo with a Mercedes.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 05:05:16 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Big Bear

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 07:48:32 PM »

Offline Big Bear

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 07:53:27 PM »
From what I have learned about front loaders, Nope I would not want one.As far as these domestic front loaders being anything like a Huebsch washer that they have at the laundry matt, there is NO COMPARISON! Commercial laundry equipment is simply 1000 times more durable and Superior than any design I have studdied in these domestic washers. Don't let any young bucko salesman tell you they are. I was a Huebsch (pronounced hipps) parts distributor. These machines are bad to the bone. When one of these tear up they have done about a million loads of laundry. Very reliable. You look at the trunnion on one of those babys and then look at the equivalent on one of these domestic washers and their is no comparison. It is litterally like comparing a Yugo with a Mercedes.

JW,
the more research I do the more I tend to agree with you, front loaders have at least two or three typical problems.

1) Mold and mildew problems. Where my washer and dryer sit it would be very difficult to leave the door open on the washer.

2) Circuit board failures, and door seal leaks.

3) Noise, usually from spin cycle.

Top loaders:

Most common complaint is that the clothes get really tangled.

Ahhh.... decisions, decisions.

Big Bear

Whirlpool Duet Front Loading Washers Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 6829
Last post December 05, 2008, 08:04:04 AM
by AJ
Bosch Front Loading Washers

Started by Penguin45

Views: 892
Last post January 25, 2009, 07:19:36 PM
by Penguin45
L-68 Whirlpool Duet Front Loading Washers Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Views: 2196
Last post August 17, 2009, 02:12:21 PM
by AJ
Water Collecting in Boot on Select Frigidaire Front-Load Washers

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 3416
Last post August 05, 2013, 08:42:08 PM
by Cananot
LG recommended maintenance for front load washers

Started by maypo52

Replies: 3
Views: 15632
Last post February 28, 2010, 11:09:55 PM
by john63
Kenmore Washer 417.41142000 (front loading) drum detached. How to reattach it?

Started by deeche

Replies: 5
Views: 5057
Last post February 05, 2008, 03:40:28 PM
by BrntToast