Author Topic: drum tilts: normal, right?  (Read 3776 times)

Offline murphycc

• VIP Member
drum tilts: normal, right?
« on: October 06, 2008, 11:03:03 AM »
Hi folks,

I repaired my Whirlpool GST9675 last week, as it had a bad coupler. Seems to work great now.

My wife now insists that the drum could not be tilted side-to-side before the repairs, and I say that it always could and she just did not notice it before.

I know my old Maytag machine could.

So, QUESTION: isn't it normal that the washing machine drum (top-loader) can be tilted side to side, after which it returns to the center, balanced position? Isn't this just how it ensures a balanced spin and stuff?

Thanks,
Chris

Model Number: GST9675 icon

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: drum tilts: normal, right?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 12:12:19 PM »
Murph you may have a broken suspension spring. Their 3 on this washer with a 4th spring that goes from the rear base to the back of the washer. It may be broken or just came off.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 02:48:52 PM »
Whirlpool insists that it is normal for the spin basket to stop in the right rear position, around 1:00 when a heavy load is brought to a halt. Although the tub is supposed to flex freely in all directions much as yur Maytag did, JW is correct to advise that you inspect the stabilizer springs one last time to ensure that they are still in place. This requires that you slip the cabinet off without disturbing the machine base.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline murphycc

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 11:32:59 AM »
I inspected all the springs this weekend again, and they are all there and attached. I even took off the drum again and re-mounted it. When I washed a load, the drum still leans about 1-2" off center toward the left side. After the final spin cycle, however, the drum was centered well. Physically tilting the washer slightly to the right or left seems to have no effect on the leaning of the drum toward the left.

When I fixed the coupler a few weeks ago, I had the washer upside down for a couple of days. Do you think being upside down could have stressed the springs? Do you think I should just replace all of those 3 or 4 balancing springs?

I did not see anything else loose. The motor, gearbox, drive-shaft and all are secure.

-Chris

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 12:32:35 PM »
Yeah having the washer upside down would throw it off a bit but as long as it ain't sloshing the water out during the cycle it should be ok.You are lucky the oil didn't run out the tranny.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline murphycc

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 12:47:17 PM »
Actually, some oil did run out of the gearbox through the screws. But so far so good. I was going to put some 80 or 90 weight oil back in there, so I removed all the screws which hold the top cover to the gearbox. The top did not come off; I think that gasket sealer or something kept it on. Anyhow, I don't hear any grinding or anything so I think that part is fine.

Thanks for the info. I think I will buy the 3-spring suspension pack and just replace all of those springs. It runs the way it is, but I wouldn't want it to lean any more than it does.

-Chris

Offline murphycc

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 11:12:40 PM »
Well, I'm stumped now. I replaced the 3 suspension springs and it did not help. It appears the 3 suspension springs control the side to side movement rather than the actual tilt of the thing.

But the problem is that if the drum is moved to the left side, it does not slide back to the center as well as when I slide it to the right. Since it does not slide as well back to the center, it also tilts to the left. Very baffling. Those three tan pads are in place so that there's not more friction on one side more than another. I checked that counterweight spring in the back too (4th spring) and that does not affect it much.

I thought perhaps the rubber drain pipe on the bottom left needs to be twisted a certain way to put a little force on the tub, but that doesn't seem to help either.

-Chris

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 05:04:41 AM »
You're only stumped because you tried new springs and that did not help. When you inverted the machine the time before, it likely bent or warped the tub support assembly.
Part # 280184

« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 06:39:28 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Kenmore Washer 417.41142000 (front loading) drum detached. How to reattach it?

Started by deeche

Replies: 5
Views: 6199
Last post February 05, 2008, 03:40:28 PM
by BrntToast
Spin Cycle shakes the Drum too much

Started by Lina

Replies: 2
Views: 1733
Last post August 15, 2008, 06:36:02 AM
by JWWebster
whirlpool washer, drum spins, but agitator agitates during spin cycle!

Started by larry39

Replies: 6
Views: 4438
Last post May 05, 2009, 11:52:56 AM
by Al Capone
Thin Twin Tub tilts toward the back of the unit

Started by Jaytag

Replies: 1
Views: 2064
Last post May 12, 2009, 11:02:06 PM
by JWWebster
Kenmore Front Loader Washer Making Noise but Drum not spinning