Author Topic: Fisher & Paykel Dryer making Noise  (Read 8668 times)

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
Fisher & Paykel Dryer making Noise
« on: September 14, 2008, 12:05:39 PM »

Model #DEGX1, this dryer from Fisher & Paykel is rather unique in the world of clothes dryers in that it loads from the top, and the drying drum is mounted on a horizontal axis from side to side. A design that works great with their high efficiency top load washers because it reduces the bending usually required to add or remove clothes from the dryer. But this dryer, although functioning just fine, has developed an annoying squeak during the drying cycle that seemed to become worse with heavier loads. Sounding like a bearing might be going bad, I started a load to see, or hear, if I could locate the offending noise.

This dryer design is quite different from what we technicians usually get to deal with on a daily basis. From the top load design, to the bi-directional tumbling action, to the sliding access door, it's pretty obvious this isn't your normal dryer to service. But once you get under the panels and to the mechanical portion of this dryer, well it still looks different, but not nearly as intimidating as before. I decided to add this shot of the drum and heater assembly removed from the cabinet just so you can see what the unit looks like on the inside.

Because I was dealing with what I figured was bearing noise, I started a dying cycle with some weight in the drum and began to listed. The drum bearings on these units are located on the right side about in the middle. If you start a load and notice the noise is coming from that area, well your going to need a new bearing kit. If the source of the noise seems to be elsewhere, then it's time to take the unit apart and do some investigation. But to install a new bearing, we simply open the lid and remove the bearing cover located on the right side middle. Underneath the cover you will find the bushing, bushing keeper, and shaft. The new kit will come with all three replacement parts, so take the old ones out and put the new ones in. It's as easy as that.

A quick bearing replacement and this dryer was a quiet as before. Now to get your hands on the replacement part for your dryer, you will need to find an authorized F&P servicer to sell you the part (part #479332 btw) or call Fisher & Paykel directly to get the part from them. If you have any difficulty locating the part, drop me a line and I can help you locate what you need.

Fisher & Paykel Dryer Making Noise

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 1
Views: 3191
Last post October 09, 2012, 02:34:16 PM
by andersenappliance
DEGX1 Fisher Paykel dryer making clicking/ticking noise

Started by Hane

Replies: 2
Views: 3251
Last post December 14, 2009, 12:19:37 PM
by JWWebster
LDG7304 Maytag Dryer - making a lot of noise.

Started by robert

Replies: 5
Views: 5937
Last post February 20, 2011, 07:33:06 PM
by jumptrout51
Amana dryer making noise

Started by bigvonne

Replies: 1
Views: 2686
Last post May 19, 2008, 12:53:38 PM
by apptech
Fisher & Paykel Dryer No Heat