Author Topic: Whirlpool Microwave F2Q1 Error Message  (Read 2638 times)

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
Whirlpool Microwave F2Q1 Error Message
« on: September 17, 2008, 07:24:01 AM »

Model #GH7208XRQ1, this microwave hood combination unit started displaying an error message at what seemed to be random times. The unit could be reset by pressing the cancel button, and it even worked properly, but then when the customer would walk by at a later time, the message was back on the display. Having seen this problem more than once, I made sure I had the board I needed to get this one fixed on the first call.

The error message F2Q1 indicates a problem with the user interface board, and/or the touch panel which is part of the outer door glass. This microwave uses a combination of a glass touch panel and touch sensitive LCD display for it's user interface. Both of these boards connect to a central (UIB) user interface board (also mounted within the door) which takes the key press information and sends it to the relay control board via a 5 wire connector at the lower hinge.

To get to these boards, you must separate the outer door from the choke assembly by removing all the screws around the edges of the frame. Then using your putty knife to release the plastic tabs, see if you can pull the two halves apart while leaving at least some of the tabs in place. The boards are mounted to the front door glass.

As I mentioned above, this isn't the first of these I have seen that have developed this error. Apparently it is part of the continuous diagnostic routine of the UIB as it monitors the LCD and touch panels for a key press. When it looses contact with either board (or thinks it does) it will display the error. When the error is cleared, the cycle starts over until the next time the UIB looses contact. There is a ribbon cable between the LCD and the UIB that can work loose that can also cause this error but usually, the UIB needs to be replaced to solve the problem. But don't worry, with Whirlpools new control authorization program, they will make you go through all the steps before you come to the same conclusion.

And as expected, replacing the user interface boardicon did solve the problem on this microwave so the customer is once again happy with their microwave. The parts for this microwave are rather expensive (not to mention the price of the unit itself) so if yours starts having problems while it's still under warranty, get it fixed now. The cost will only go up.

Whirlpool Microwave F2Q1 Error Code

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 2380
Last post April 15, 2008, 09:57:53 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Whirlpool Microwave Touchpad Inoperative

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 2812
Last post March 29, 2008, 05:33:22 PM
by TechnicianBrian