Author Topic: Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW Won't Drain Water / Smell  (Read 25377 times)

Offline mightymac

• VIP Member
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW Won't Drain Water / Smell
« on: October 07, 2007, 07:58:11 AM »
I have a Maytag Neptune Washer that has a musty odor that started about three weeks ago.  I noticed when I manually spin the basket I can hear water inside.  I removed the back cover and removed the drain boot and there was a dime lodged right at the pump inlet.  There are no other obstructions but the water will not empty fully from the basket.  How is this happening?  I imagine the basket is full of sludge which is preventing the water from draining?  I know there are known problems with this machine but I have not read anything about the problem I am having.  Any input will be more than I already have found out.  Thanks.

Model MAH4000AWW

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
Re: Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW Won't Drain Water / Smell
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »
I have this same machine and the "water" you are hearing when you spin the tub is actually fluid that is sealed in a "balance ring" around the tub so it will balance out on spin. It isn't water that is left inside.
You can run a cycle using HOT water and LONG wash with a 1/2 to 1 cup Sunlight or Electrasol dishwasher powder with a cup of bleach and help with the smell. The reasons for those brands is that they are compatible with the bleach cause they contain bleach also. You could also try running a cycle with 2 cups white vinegar. Maybe someone on here will have a better solution but this is what I was told by Maytag a few years ago as preventive maintenance. Be sure you use HE detergent.

Offline maypo52

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 04:30:35 PM »
Hi Mightymac,

Sparky823 is right on the money with his suggestions. My LG frontloader had a similar problem with the build up of sludge. I ran a sanitary cycle (extra hot) with one cup of white vinegar and that cleaned it up pretty good.

Regards,

Maypo52
My philosophies:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and When all else fails RTFM (read the "funny" manual)

Offline mightymac

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 07:39:50 PM »
Well your advice worked - temporarily - but now I am getting a terrible smell from the washing machine.  Its a lot worse than before.  I'm not sure what is causing this but its driving me crazy!  Anyone out there have any other thoughts?

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 11:32:05 PM »
Which one did you do, the vinegar or the dish detergent/bleach? You probably have a LOT of build up in there and you just scratched the surface and got it to smelling more. You will need to run this again maybe a few times. Also make sure you are using low sudsing (HE) detergent. Powder is better than liquids so I hear. The liquids tend to gunk up more than powder. Also you MUST leave the door cracked after you get finished washing. If your light is on just unplug the washer. There is a new product out from Whirlpool/Maytag that is supposed to really knock this stuff out of the machines. It is called Affresh.

Offline mightymac

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 06:39:11 PM »
I tried the bleach, the vinegar, the electrasol,,,,,,I tried it all but it made it worse.  Today I tried the afresh so we'll see how it is tomorrow.  I used all three tablets so I hope they worked. 

This whole thing started when I had a minor smell coming from the machine but I didn't know why.  After a little research I figured out that the pump may be blocked, which it was, with a dime!  This probably caused the whole thing to start to clog.  If this cycle tonight doesn't fix this problem I'm going to tear the unit apart to get to the inside of the drum........and then out with the power washer!   That should fix it.  Hopefully.

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 12:45:36 AM »
Did you use all 3 tablets in one wash or you did 3 seperate washes? Do you use much bleach or hot water normally when washing clothes?

Let me know how well the tablets did.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 07:21:27 AM »
LG recommends a product called Whirl-Out to clean there front loader washer.

Whirl-Out is a product designed for cleaning whirlpool baths and hot tubs, but works well for this application as well. It is available at most hardware and similar stores. Do not mix bleach or other chemicals with Whirl-Out.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 01:07:34 PM »
How much of the Whirl Out would you use? I figure the directions are for hot tubs so how much would you use in a washer? Do you know what is in it that makes it clean?? I read some where that citric acid would clean them out??Is that true?

There is a guy that worked on my neighbors Kenmore T/L washer-had to get a new transmission and she was shocked at all the crud on her outer tub. He told her that they all looked that way, but he told her if she would use Wisk all time she wouldn't have that problem any more.
Have you ever heard that? Why would that work? Some ingredient in it or just cause it was liquid because she used Tide/wbleach powder all the time. I would use the HE Wisk but the smell is awful.

Thanks

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 01:19:54 PM »
One cup of Whirl-Out with the hottest water and the longest wash cycle.
There should not be cloths in the machine for this process.

Last, run a regular cycle with hot water to ensure the Whirl-Out is rinsed away.

You may have to do this more then once.

99.9% of all odor issues are the result of using too much detergent and softener.

Offline mightymac

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 07:01:50 PM »
I used all three tablets at the same time.  I came home today and I almost fell down from the smell!  I imagine the washer is soooooo full of crud its a mess inside.  I'm going to attempt to disassemble the unit this weekend and see whats inside but I have a feeling I'm just going to get a new washer.  I hear the LG is good but I'll have to check out consumers reports says.

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 09:43:42 PM »
I have read that the Samsung with the VRT is really good. They dont vibrate like some of the others. I think the LG is supposed to be good also but I have also read people having a lot of problems getting parts/service and having problems with cleaning cause they use way less water than your Neptune. I saw some where that a guy took his Neptune apart and cleaned it out. He made pics and it was awful. But he said it was all their fault. He said they used cold water all time and regular detergent and softener and it just got really gunked up but the way he talked it wasnt a big deal to tear down and clean up. If I can find that I will let you know.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 09:48:09 PM »
He made pics and it was awful. But he said it was all their fault. He said they used cold water all time and regular detergent and softener and it just got really gunked up but the way he talked it wasnt a big deal to tear down and clean up. If I can find that I will let you know.

That would be great if you could post a link to it.

LG is one smooth running machine.
The Whirlpool Duet has been around longer and seems to be ok.

Never seen a Samsung yet.

Offline accapp

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 11:33:44 PM »
You'll get better results with the Whirlout, bleach, etc if you stuff the maqui
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 12:23:23 AM »
Is the Whirl Out made by the same one that makes the Washer Magic? I think so, so would the WM be as good as the WO or does the WO have something in it that the WM doesn't?

Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW burning smell during spin cycle.

Started by ksujason

Replies: 15
Views: 18914
Last post September 14, 2008, 11:46:31 PM
by Repair-man
Maytag Neptune How To Drain Water

Started by spikedawg

Replies: 5
Views: 2661
Last post July 15, 2009, 05:49:57 PM
by jumptrout51
maytag neptune front loader wont drain and now wont fill with water and spin