Author Topic: Maytage Dryer not Heating  (Read 1298 times)

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
Maytage Dryer not Heating
« on: September 03, 2008, 07:17:07 AM »

Model #DE490icon, this very old Maytag electric dryer was functioning properly, but would no longer heat for the customer. Due to the age of this unit, the electrical circuit was a bit more simplified than your more modern dryer, but the troubleshooting process is the same.

After verifying I had the correct source voltage at the terminal block, my next step was to remove the front panel, because that's the only way into this unit. Behind the panel and under the drum I found the safety thermal overload devices (TOD's), the operating thermostat, and the element. Starting with the element, I verified source voltage to the element itself which is a quick way to eliminate everything else in the circuit. Had I not read my source voltage, that would be an indicator something else in the circuit was open, but I was lucky this time. Looking into the heater tube, the coil itself looked to be in good shape, but when I did a resistance check of the coil, my meter was reading infinite resistance, meaning an open circuit. Further inspection of the coil found a break toward the rear, which means, this coils needs to be replaced.

The heater element on these older units are not replaced as an assembly, but rather, you get a new coil complete with insulated standoffs, and you restring the thing yourself. Make sure once the new coil is in place, that no part of it is contacting the heater box or itself. This would result in a shorter circuit for the element, and would reduce the wattage of the dryer. Great for saving energy, bad for drying clothes. Replacing the coil itself is something you don't see much these days, but the customer welcomed the lower cost of the part, and they didn't need to go shopping for a new dryer.

Whirlpool Dryer Not Heating

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 4440
Last post March 29, 2008, 05:33:22 PM
by TechnicianBrian
WHIRLPOOL DRYER NOT HEATING

Started by lowhook

Replies: 10
Views: 6303
Last post May 26, 2009, 02:37:08 PM
by AJ