Author Topic: LG Front Load Washer LE Error code  (Read 104127 times)

Offline oliver

• VIP Member
Re: LG Front Load Washer LE Error code
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 12:02:15 PM »
yeah - I see the confusion now.  Thanks for sticking with this :-)

My washer is a WM0532HW which is a BestBuy-exclusive rebranded version of the WM2032HW.

I found a ton on people on the internet with the WM2032HW washer and the LE error code.

Most of them said replacing the "sensor assembly" (pn: 6501KW2002A) fixed the problem. 

If you go to AppliancePartsPros.com they show two sensor assembles. 

1) PN: 6501FA2462C
2) PN: 6501KW2002A

The majority of people had success with the second one and thats the one I replaced.

If you do the same search with washer WM0532HW you only get one sensor assembly listed... and thats the first of the above two listed above.

So, I've changed the following two items:

1) the main PWB (6871ER1023Q)
2) sensor assembly (6501KW2002A)

I'm wondering whether I should change 6501FA2462C as well.  This looks like a set of cables running into a black box.  I'm thinking though that this is to do with sensing whether the washer is level.  Could that possibly be a cause of LE?  Or make the machine not spin on diagnostics?

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 10:10:26 PM »
The LE error is pretty specific to a motor lock condition as monitored by the sensor board, and given the only parts associated with that failure would be the motor itself, the sensor board, the main board, and the harness, I would stick with those items.  It is possible for such things as a worn bearing or something stuck between the basket and drum to give the error, but those things generally will only flag the error after some use and not right away.  Since you are getting the error very quickly in use, one of those four components is the likely problem.  If you have replaced the sensor and the control board, I would look very closely at the wiring harness because the variations you were getting in your measurements over the weekend suggests something is not connected properly giving intermittent readings.  Check the harness including under the taped sections and look for anything that seems out of place.  As the photo shows in my original post, it only takes a very small bit of damage to cause problems.

Offline oliver

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 02:36:27 AM »
The LE error is pretty specific to a motor lock condition as monitored by the sensor board, and given the only parts associated with that failure would be the motor itself, the sensor board, the main board, and the harness, I would stick with those items. 

Thanks... I'll see if I can remove all the wiring and visually inspect it

Offline oliver

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009, 03:41:03 PM »
One last check to make on the board would be to measure resistance between blue and white, then between red and white at the control board connector while it is unplugged and the machine is off.  You should measure 10K Ohm's.  If you don't the sensor board is bad. 

Can you clarify this for me?  Are you still referring to the 4-wire connector with red/blue/white/gray wires?

I set my multimeter to 20k Ohms and stuck the probes in (with the machine off).  The reading was 4.95 for blue/white and 5.00 for red/white.

You said it should be 10K Ohms.  Am I just misunderstanding how to read the multimeter or is this another avenue to explore?

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 03:50:13 PM »
The specification is 10K ohms measured between each wire which is the hall effect sensor itself.  Are you reading 5K ohms or 5 ohms between each wire?  Either way, they sound like low ratings since even 5K would be a 50% variance in what the engineers are expecting.

Offline oliver

• VIP Member
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 03:58:36 PM »
The specification is 10K ohms measured between each wire which is the hall effect sensor itself.  Are you reading 5K ohms or 5 ohms between each wire?  Either way, they sound like low ratings since even 5K would be a 50% variance in what the engineers are expecting.

um.... I'm not sure.  I've only ever use the ohms setting for basic continuity testing.  All I know for sure is that the dial was on 20k and the reading on the screen was literally 5.00.

I wasn't sure if there's a decoder ring to understand the readings between the different Ohms settings.  I was expecting it to say 15000 if it was 15k Ohms and 5000 if it were 5k ohms.

So, that hall effect sensor, I'm assuming, is the stator assembly thing I already switched out - so unless I have two faulty ones (the original and replacement) it has to be the harness somewhere.  I still haven't taken that out yet.

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2009, 04:15:40 PM »
I cannot speak for how your meter works, but usually I would expect a 'K' to show up on the display when when reading kilo ohms.  You have mentioned stator assembly twice, but the stator is the large copper wired unit which is part of the motor, and the hall effect sensor snaps onto it.  You said you replaced the sensor already based on a photo you located so I am just making sure we are talking about the same thing.  Up until about a year ago, the sensors were the usual cause of the 'LE' error due to manufacturing problems.  But having one fail out of the box is a bit of a stretch so I would have a good look at the harness. 

Offline oliver

• VIP Member
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2009, 04:19:24 PM »
I cannot speak for how your meter works, but usually I would expect a 'K' to show up on the display when when reading kilo ohms.  You have mentioned stator assembly twice, but the stator is the large copper wired unit which is part of the motor, and the hall effect sensor snaps onto it.  You said you replaced the sensor already based on a photo you located so I am just making sure we are talking about the same thing.  Up until about a year ago, the sensors were the usual cause of the 'LE' error due to manufacturing problems.  But having one fail out of the box is a bit of a stretch so I would have a good look at the harness. 

ahh - thanks... yes, my terminology is wrong.  I am indeed referring to the little fridge-magnet-like thing that snaps on to the copper wire unit.

Offline oliver

• VIP Member
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 05:01:27 PM »
I'm ready to admit defeat here... it's totally confusing me.

I removed the wiring harness (I assume we only care about the 4-wire section that connects the square connector on the PWB to the rectangle connector on the hall effect sensor board)

This particular piece of wiring is connected in the middle by some weird little connector pair.  I check all the wiring for continuity and it all checked out fine.  I don't see any nicks or obviously damaged areas.

What is confusing me is that with everything connected up (i.e. one end on the PWB and the other end on the sensor) I only seem to get 5k ohms resistance.  I'm assuming this is 5k because if I set the multimeter to the 200 setting, I get nothing, but if I bump it to the 200k setting it goes up to 5.  I get the same behavior whether using the old sensor or the new one.

If I disconnect the connector from the PWB and put the probes directly inside the connector, the reading goes up to 10k.  Again, same behaviour from both old and new sensors.  I've also had 2 new PWBs in this thing.  I returned the first one to be safe because it was used.

So the only thing not switched out between them is the wiring - but if I get a continuity-success, could it still be bad?  Could it be the actual connector itself?

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 02:52:26 PM »
Sounds like a wiring or connector problem now. If you get the correct readings at the board, but something different at the sensor itself, that will leave the harness as the problem.  Just because you have continuity doesn't guaranty a proper reading at the other end.  I just worked on a refrigerator that was to cold and when I checked the thermistor, I had the correct readings, but when it was checked through the harness, the resistance changed giving the control board the wrong reading.  Any inconsistency in the resistance will be interpreted as a problem, so it could be something as simple as a poorly fitting connector, or a wire that has an internal break in the strands.  Either way, I think you are looking in the right area.

Offline oliver

• VIP Member
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 05:37:56 PM »
ok - thanks for the vote of confidence.

Next question is which part to buy?  I see two possibilities:

F140 HARNESS,MOTOR 6877ER1016B
F141 HARNESS,MOTOR 6877ER3003B

I'm thinking F140, but I'm not sure.  They're both on page 37 of the service manual.  Wonder if I need both

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 04:29:23 PM »
I don't have the manual for your model handy so I am not sure which one you would need, but I do find most of the drawings provide little guidance in describing wiring harnesses.  Depending on the cost, I would get both and replace them as a set as I am thinking one will be the upper portion while the other is the lower.  Speculating of coarse.

Offline oliver

• VIP Member
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2009, 11:45:19 AM »
fair enough - I appreciate the response.   Thanks again

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2009, 09:19:32 PM »
Tech Brian:  Da man! Da badest MoFo dat eva drop a bomb on da bomb!  O0
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 09:25:19 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Golfnut

• VIP Member
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2009, 09:12:31 AM »
just to make sure I'm not high, is this what I do for the first check?

i) remove the blue/white/red/gray connector from the main PWB
ii) turn power to the washer on
iii) with my multimeter set to 20 DC voltage, stick the prongs in the squares where the white and gray cable should be
iv) expect to see 10 --> 15vdc in the reading

I do suspect the board is bad as I know for sure that partstore sent me a used item.  The previous purchaser left the RMA in the static bag it came in.

For the second test, do the same thing but measure between blue and gray while turning the drum.  Hope to see a pulsing 10VDC... Repeat with red and gray

I think I'll get this done first before continuing with the rest.

I've got a similar problem with my LG Washer...No Power, replaced Main Board, Filter Assembly, and Display.......still no power to machine

Looking into Sensor switch and trying to test.

Did you replace?

Were u able to solve your problem?

front load ge washer error code E4F

Started by devoncloud

Replies: 5
Views: 4958
Last post May 09, 2009, 05:35:58 AM
by Repair-man
whirlpool front load washer with sud and f35 error code

Started by gregaguilar

Replies: 2
Views: 2203