Author Topic: Water droplets  (Read 1593 times)

Offline RAH52

• Technician
Water droplets
« on: September 02, 2008, 07:10:48 PM »
Went on a call today on a maytag tall tub dishwasher with a poly tank. The dishwasher is about 10 days old and the customer is complaining of poor drying . I had the customer start a load of dishes and I showed up about an hour later when the D/W was on the dry cycle . I put my amp probe on the red/black tracer wire going to the heating element and observed that the heater was pulsing on and off according to the specs on the tech sheet .The vent was open and lots of hot moist air was coming out . When the the cycle was over I observed that the dishes were dry however there was a lot of water droplets on the ceiling of the tank . I used to see this problem all the time years ago but can't say I've seen this recently . I phoned the maytag tech line and spoke to a tech and was told that he believes that the composition of the tank has been changed because he is getting these calls all the time .He told me to treat the tank with jet dry and tell the customer it may take from 2 - 6 months for the tank to cure and the problem to go away . Easy for him to say...my customer wasn't impressed . Any thoughts or comments ?

Model MDB4651AWW

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Water droplets
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 07:24:10 PM »
Water collection on the top is common and has been for many years. Your customer should follow the advice given by the factory tech, although some of those jerks on the Tech Line are blind as a goose in a hailstorm sometimes..

Options for decreasing the amount of water droplets  include turning up the water heater to 130o or above and using a rinse aid in the dispenser at all times. I prefer the Jet-Dry solid basket myself and hang it under the upper rack in a corner. It dispenses a better quantity of surfactant that the liquid reservoir and won't clog up.

The customer can be pissy all they want, as this is not a problem peculiar to Maytag or any other specific brand. It is a product of producing dishwashers with Energy saving qualities that bring about other, less pleasant side-effects. Plastic is porous, and that's that.

If the customers knew the sump holds a quart of water, they'd likely moan about that too :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 07:29:23 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 07:32:54 PM »
Thanks and well said ...especially the part about some of the guys at the tech line . Most are very good but some are as dumb as a bag of hammers.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 08:14:08 AM »
Dangit I knew there was a reason Sears telecenter would not hire me!
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

dishwasher leaves water droplets on dishes after drying cycle

Started by viking351

Replies: 6
Views: 3471
Last post May 26, 2010, 07:37:48 PM
by viking351
Frigidaire Dishwasher - Does not fill with water.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 4528
Last post January 15, 2008, 06:32:02 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Dishwasher - Does not pump the water out.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 7899
Last post January 17, 2008, 10:34:53 PM
by AJ
whirlpool dishwasher wont spray water

Started by lsparkie

Replies: 17
Views: 10269
Last post April 28, 2014, 05:42:11 AM
by Laniktom
whrilpool dish water does'nt start wash cycle