Author Topic: Whirlpool Duet Washer, no Operation  (Read 2552 times)

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
Whirlpool Duet Washer, no Operation
« on: August 29, 2008, 07:04:28 AM »

Model #WFW9400SU01, This new front load washer arrived at the customers home right out of the box, but once connected to the plumbing and plugged into the wall outlet, the display remained blank and the buttons on the user interface didn't function. Discouraging for the customer indeed, and this isn't the first time I have witnessed this particular failure, but I do know how to fix it.

Lines of Communication
The problem with this type of failure is simply the lack of diagnostic information that we as technicians are given by the manufacturers. In this washer, there are three electronic control boards that contain the control, display, and user interface functions, and all three of them are connected to each other via communication lines. These lines of communication allow for the boards to 'speak' to each other, but because we are not able to 'speak' their language, it is difficult to determine which board is causing the problem because it is either not speaking or not listening to the conversation.

Without this information, we as technicians either take educated guesses as to which board to replace, or worse (for the manufacturer), we just order all the boards in case we need them. Not the most effective way to troubleshoot, but without the benefit of detailed information, that is what we are left with.

Seeking Answers
Now as I said before, this isn't the first time I have seen this problem, and me being the curious type, like to get out my meter and try and find the information that will allow for a better diagnosis of the problem. What I have learned so far is to first verify voltage to the CCU board. If you don't have power to the board, you are dealing with a different problem. Once voltage to the board is verified, check the output from the CCU board to the UID connector of the right display board for a 5vdc and 10vdc reading between the two outside wires. No voltage indicates a failure of the CCU board and it needs to be replaced. If you read power to the right display board, but still no operation, then one of the display boards has failed and they both need to be replaced.

The Fix
On this washer, I was reading 6.3vdc on the UID connector which indicated the CCUicon board is functioning and is not causing the interface issues. This leaves me with one of the display boards causing the problem and since I cannot tell which one is the culprit, they both get replaced (per Whirlpool BTW). After replacing both the middle , and the righticon display boards, this washer was finally able to be used to wash clothes.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Whirlpool Duet Washer, no Operation
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 01:37:12 PM »
Dang electronics. 3 boards? You could not pay me to own a whirlpool duet washer with all the problems I have read about and I have never even seen one.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Photos: Whirlpool Duet washer with bad bearings, only 2.5 years old!

Started by AJ

Replies: 21
Views: 30989
Last post May 23, 2013, 08:22:19 PM
by Rick32k
Video: Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer Water Pump Clean Out.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 5782
Last post November 28, 2007, 09:58:47 PM
by AJ
How to replace a Whirlpool Duet washer bellow tub door seal

Started by AJ

Replies: 39
Views: 70569
Last post December 24, 2013, 12:16:46 AM
by GB-NC
Whirlpool Duet Washer - F-30 error code and clunking noise in detergent area.

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 12844
Last post November 15, 2009, 09:34:58 AM
by AJ
Whirlpool Duet Sport Front Load Washer Leaking from the Door

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 1
Views: 13704
Last post May 23, 2013, 08:24:30 PM
by Rick32k
Whirlpool Duet Washer Error Codes