Author Topic: Whirlpool Washer not Draining  (Read 4839 times)

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
Whirlpool Washer not Draining
« on: August 22, 2008, 12:39:19 PM »

Model #GHW9250MQ0icon, this washer began having draining problems where the customer noticed water could still be seen at the back of the spin basket after the clothes were removed, but at least it still worked. Then the day came where it stopped draining water and the customer was stuck with a full tub of water, and afraid to open the door because they knew the water would be everywhere. A poorly draining front load washer is very repairable, but more importantly, it's often very preventable.

Let me Explain
Front load washers work like most any other clothes washer in that the clothes are agitated or tumbled through water mixed with detergent. The notable difference with a front load washer being it uses much less water, and it spins at a considerably higher rpm. Because of these differences, front load washers are very good at removing items that have been left in clothes pockets, and putting them where they can do potential harm to the washer. Any technician that has spent any length of time working on front load laundry has their mental list of items retrieved from the tubs, pumps and sumps of these units, and the list grows weekly. Because of this risk, engineers have devised all kinds of traps within these units to stop items before they cause a problem, but things still seem to make it into what seem to be an impossible places, and the result is often a service call.

Nothing new here
This washer was no different, and once I had the access panel off, and the sump hose pinched off (didn't want all that water on my lap), I removed the drain clean out and found a pile of rubber in the way. But whatever this rubber once was, it certainly wasn't enough to prevent the water from draining. The real problem turned out to be a broken impeller that was no longer attached to the drain pump. I wasn't able to locate the item that caused this damage, but I am sure whatever it was, it quickly made its way to the drain pipe never to be seen again.

A quick replacement of this drain pump and this washer was back in shape, ready for the next load of laundry. I also offered some advice to the customer about items left in pockets, but I am sure the cost of the repair, will serve as a better reminder. Do note, if you replace this drain pump, the new style looks different than the original, but it fits just as well.

Things I have found stuck in Front Load Washers
  • Tooth brush (the whole thing)
  • Comb (stuck in the vent opening between tub and spin basket)
  • Pocket knife (it opened up and tore a hole in the door seal)
  • pencil (it broke the pump too)
  • crayon (blue if I recall correctly)
  • Nuts, bolts, screws, and nails (often resulting in tub damage)
  • Undergarments (lots and lots of them)
  • Baby clothes (ditto)
  • Money (most found in one washer $57.65)
  • A ring (or two)
  • Bracelets (to many to count)
  • Ball bearings (very noisy during spin)
  • Makeup items (you name it, it's been in there)
  • Bra under wires (if you want an under wire removed, use a front loader)
  • .45 caliber bullets (he didn't recall missing any)

• Offline Penguin45

• VIP Member
      • www.ukwhitegoods.com
    Re: Whirlpool Washer not Draining
    « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 07:09:10 PM »
    All front loaders suffer from the same problem. Where the door seal stops and the inner drum begins, there has to be a gap....

Over here, where front loaders rule, blockages are possibly the single commonest repair that we do - customers learn the expensive way that there is only one real answer - empty your pockets!

I am slightly puzzled by the use of complete replacement pumps for all repairs. The picture shows a broken Askoll magnetic pump motor. We buy the bare motor unit over here for about 4 ($7.50?) a go. This means we can carry about 4 basic pump motor types to repair about 95% of all pump failures. Is the motor unit not a spare part on your side of the pond?

Penguin45.

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
      • TechnicianBrian.com
    « Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 08:53:03 PM »
    Most of these parts anymore seem to only be available as assemblies. One would think with the increased interest in going green and recycling that you could get the part that is actually broken and replace it, but the trend seems to be going in the other direction.  I know plenty of techs that know how to change assemblies, but have no idea how they work or what they look like inside.  Usually just to much of a hurry to get to the next call.  And if you call the local part supplier, they usually have plenty of the assemblies, but would need to special order the components so average commission tech will gravitate toward the quicker (and better paying) assembly replacement.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
    • SublimeMasterJW
      • Buy me a beer through paypal
      • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
    « Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 09:19:13 PM »
    I have pulled a few rug and mop strangs out of these particular pumps.Brian and Penguinator I have a question for both of yall: When I have ran these pumps on the bench it seems more like the impeller is vibrating more than spinning. Was that my imagination? If it just vibrates then how does the water get pumped out?
    « Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 09:27:54 PM by JWWebster »
    May the hinges of our friendship
            never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
    I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
      • TechnicianBrian.com
    « Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 07:41:36 PM »
    Hey JW, I too have plugged these in using my cheater cord and found what I consider a lot of vibration, but the impeller is turning.  My guess is the vibrations are the result of no load on the motor along with a high rpm.  Maybe a couple of these would be good to help keep your boat dry.  ;)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
    • SublimeMasterJW
      • Buy me a beer through paypal
      • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
    « Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 07:07:40 AM »
    I have several of them laying around too. I might take you up on that.
    May the hinges of our friendship
            never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
    I love fan letters! LOL

WHIRLPOOL WASHER STOPPED DRAINING

Started by Maury

Replies: 6
    Views: 3093
    Last post October 05, 2008, 03:00:55 PM
    by JWWebster
    Whirlpool top load washer stopped draining

Started by txneedsassistanc

Replies: 13
    Views: 7424
    Last post August 10, 2011, 01:29:36 PM
    by AJ
    Cabrio Washer Not Draining (WTW5500XW0) Whirlpool VWM

Started by andersenappliance

Replies: 3
    Views: 1552
    Last post January 04, 2013, 09:45:11 AM
    by tgoods
    Repair Guide: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer - No agitate or spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 13
    Views: 28000
    Last post January 02, 2009, 01:09:38 PM
    by AJ
    Video: Whirlpool Washer Motor - Bad connection..

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
    Views: 3048
    Last post July 29, 2013, 06:32:05 PM
    by AJ
    Video: Whirlpool Made Direct Drive Washer Motor Coupler Replacement

Started by AJ

Replies: 18
    Views: 42444
    Last post May 18, 2010, 06:53:50 AM
    by gimpyjones