Author Topic: Whirlpool Washer smoking  (Read 4520 times)

Offline jorock24

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Washer smoking
« on: August 13, 2008, 09:16:48 PM »
I started the cycle and after about 6 minutes (before the rinse cycle) I smelled a rubber buring smell.  I opened the lid and could see smoke rising up and heard a faint clicking sound.  All the water was still in it.  After a few hours a plugged it in again, moved it to the rinse cycle and it finished OK.  I then ran it againg from the beginning and the same thing happend as before wwith the smoke.  What might be the problem?

Thanks for any help.

Model Number: rax4232kq1 icon

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Whirlpool Washer smoking
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 07:08:27 AM »
Without guessing a few different scenarios, I would go ahead and remove the outer cabinet and see what is binding down there when it runs. The lid switch can be bypassed so you can run it witout the cabinet installed. Too hard to guess what might be binding without an exam.

"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline jorock24

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 06:24:47 PM »
OK got the cabinet off.  This may sound like a silly question but do I run it with or without the water.  I had to disconnect the water in order to move it.  Also anything in particular I should be looking for?

Thanks for your help!

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 06:01:07 AM »
In the field, we normally never budge the machine from its location when we remove the cabinet. It conveniently slips off from in front, as you observed.

I have a sillier question now....why don't you slide the machine (without the cabinet) back into place and hook the water up again?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 06:41:09 AM »
The washer will agitate without water if you put air pressure on the water level switch. I have a special tool that sort of looks like a blood pressure tester but with out the arm band. I remove the hose from the tub and pump up the bulb a tad to make the machine run while dry.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 07:29:33 AM »
You don't have to go to all that trouble to see it agitate. Just set the timer to a position in between the wash and rinse cycles, marked with an asterisk (*) on the timer dial. If you point the dial at this mark and pull the timer, the machine should agitate with or without water.

Offline jorock24

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 08:07:38 AM »
Before I found this wonderful site, I didn't realize the cabinet lifted from the front, so not knowing what I was doing or looking for I moved the washer and tried to remove the back.

Thanks, when I get home,  I'll try that.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 05:06:25 PM »
One day I had a guy call me and ask me if what I would charge to replace a coupling if he brought it to me. I told him $20 bucks.
He said he would bring it right over. Well he did bring it over. In several sections. The guy completely tore the washer apart trying to get the back off. It took me about an hour to put is all back together.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 05:38:47 PM »
Tell you what...back in Clear Lake when I first started my own service, a local guy who happened to work next door at NASA called me and asked me to come replace the belt on his old Whirlpool. Mind you, this guy worked for Lockheed, the manufacturer of much of the space shuttle, and was an astro-physics engineer. Real brainy stuff.

I told him I'd be right over, and he said, "Great! I've already got it apart for you!".

I should have known by that statement that I was in for a job, but nothing prepared me for the spectacle I saw when I entered his garage. He had removed the tub, the transmission, the pump, all of the braces under the superstructure and the best part was yet to come...he had sorted every nut and bolt into separate baby food jars, each appropriately labeled with the type and location removed from.

I was stupefied...

It took me an hour and 1/2 to re-assemble the machine so I could replace the dang belt. I charged him twice the labor, and on my way out the door, told him, "Bob, you're a nice guy, but I don't tell you how to fix the shuttle so leave your washer to me next time!".

Offline jorock24

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 07:47:16 PM »
Its not that bad.  Once I figured out the back didn't come off so easy, I stopped and found the easy way.

So, I started the washer and it filled it up with water. And then nothing.  The timer was working but it did not agitae or rinse or drain.  After a few minute after the water filled up, I began to smell something burning. Not rubber but more like electrical. Then slight smoke began to rise from underneath.  I could feel the heat from the motor 6-8 inches away.

So any ideas?  Could this be the motor coupling?  Or does it sound like the motor is fried?

Again, thank you so much for any opinions.

Joe

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 09:24:14 AM »
Try removing the motor and running it by itself. Also try and see inside the pump if something is in it. I have found bras pantys and socks in them pumps.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jorock24

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 08:29:38 PM »
Nothing in the pump.  Motor coupling looks in excellent condition.  Any other things to look for before I give in and purchase a new one.

Your help has been appreciated.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 08:37:40 PM »
This thang right here will sometimes break.You must remove the transmission to inspect this. Click on the pic to enlarge amigo O0
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 08:41:52 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Repair Guide: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer - No agitate or spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 13
Views: 25567
Last post January 02, 2009, 01:09:38 PM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool Washer Motor - Bad connection..

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 2185
Last post July 29, 2013, 06:32:05 PM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool Made Direct Drive Washer Motor Coupler Replacement

Started by AJ

Replies: 18
Views: 39554
Last post May 18, 2010, 06:53:50 AM
by gimpyjones
Video: How To Replace a Water Pump On A Whirlpool Made Direct Drive Washer