Author Topic: Whirlpool Dryer Not Heating  (Read 2325 times)

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
Whirlpool Dryer Not Heating
« on: August 07, 2008, 08:37:17 PM »

Model Number: LEP6046AW0 icon, the complaint was the unit would not dry clothes and the customer would need to start the dryer several times just to get one load dry. Needing multiple cycles to dry a load of clothes is a sure sign of a restricted venting system and this was most likely the case here. But this dryer was not heating at all anymore, so there must be something more to this failure than just a venting issue.

How to dry Clothes
Clothes dryers work by heating air and tumbling the clothes through this air causing the water trapped within the fabric to evaporate. This warm moist air is then removed from the drum by the blower wheel and vented to the outside. If the venting is blocked or restricted in any way, the heat and moisture will remain within the drum resulting in a very slow drying process that often manifests itself as needing multiple cycles to get a load dry.

Open Circuits
Because this dryer was not heating at all anymore, I did a quick check of the heating circuit components to see which of them had failed. Doing continuity checks with my meter, I found the thermal cut-out located at the top of the heat box was open preventing the heating element from operating. Basically what happened here was the vent was folded over on itself preventing proper airflow to dry the clothes. Without the airflow to help cool the element, the inside drum temperature will rise quickly to higher levels than normal and subject all the internal thermostats to this excessive heat. After a period of days or weeks, these higher heat levels will cause the thermal cut-out to open up and stop current flow to the element.

Solution
I replaced the cut-out and high limit thermostat (they come together in a kit) and I realigned the vent hose behind the dryer so there was no longer an airflow issue. With the problem taken care of the unit is once again drying clothes.

LEP6046AW0

Whirlpool Dryer Not Heating

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 4422
Last post March 29, 2008, 05:33:22 PM
by TechnicianBrian
WHIRLPOOL DRYER NOT HEATING

Started by lowhook

Replies: 10
Views: 6226
Last post May 26, 2009, 02:37:08 PM