Author Topic: How to remove old cooktop  (Read 3857 times)

Offline Johnslc

• VIP Member
How to remove old cooktop
« on: August 07, 2008, 11:35:55 AM »
Model Number: cce3451 icon

I have a glass cook top that has several major cracks in it (unusable).  I'd like to repair it, but the glass top is not available from the manufacturer any longer so I'll have to put in an entirely new one.  Before I buy one, I'm trying to remove the old cook top to measure the opening, but I'm having trouble with this.  I can't get it loose from the counter top.  The installation instructions say to fix it in place with foam tape along the front and back, but it appears the installer used latex caulk (or a combination of tape and caulk) instead and put it all along the front and both sides.  I've been able to scrape most of it out from under the front but I can't get a blade under the sides to remove the adhesive.  
I assume this is a typical problem and would like some advice as to what I has worked for others.  
Also, I've checked with local and internet parts suppliers for new glass tops and they say they are not available any longer.  Any one know of where I might look for a used one for this cook top?

Thanks,
John

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Installer is a loose term
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 02:41:42 PM »
If they glued it down, you will have to chisel it out. Normally a razor knife or single-edged blade will get the bead cut.  I am appalled at some of the completely ignorant installers that are out there working. They rate right up there with so-called 'licensed electricians'.  Not once do these miserable creatures have to go back and replace a burner when it fails or repair anything else...they couldn't if they knew how, cause the cooktop is glued down.

There are no more tops available for this model so measure your cutout and start shopping. I doubt you'd find one on Ebay, but the part number is 71003283 for the black glass top.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 02:49:51 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Amana AER5830 Range - Cannot remove cooktop

Started by MaxPowerXP

Replies: 4
Views: 1315
Last post August 06, 2012, 04:46:49 PM
by MaxPowerXP
Replacing top on cracked glass ceramic cooktop

Started by er

Replies: 5