Author Topic: Maytag SG1000 Stackable Dryer won't stay lit for more than 5 seconds  (Read 917 times)

Offline Sniperman

• VIP Member
Re: Maytag SG1000 Stackable Dryer won't stay lit for more than 5 seconds
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2014, 01:04:54 PM »
Hi Maytag Man, thank you for the prompt reply! What is the expected behavior if I press the red button on that micro switch? Also, how do I check the out of balance switch? I did no work in that area of the washer, so I can't imagine it has miraculously broken within the last 2 weeks =/. Regarding the dryer, I'm 100% positive I reconnected all of the wires to the, going to far as to use reference photos I took during the dis-assembly process. I know this because it was a ROYAL PITA to simultaneously hold the door in place while standing on the washer while re-attaching all of the spade connectors =/.

Thanks,
-Snipe

Offline Sniperman

• VIP Member
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2014, 02:22:50 PM »
I removed both the micro switch and unbalance switch last night, and tested them both today. Here are the results:

Micro Switch: Perfect continuity that changes when the button is pressed (goes from 1 to .001, and creates a solid tone).

Unbalance Switch: Had very uneven continuity with a very garbled/broken up tone. I then noticed that one of the terminals had a lot of blue oxidization on it (this is the copper terminal that one of the 2 brown wires from the micro switch connects to). I cleaned all of the blue crap off of the unbalance switch and it now tests perfectly (1 to .001 with perfect tone). I'm going to see if I can hit the spade connector up a little bit with a wire brush that connects to the unbalance switch as it too has blue oxidization on it (despite this it tested with 1 to .001 with perfect tone). I figure it couldn't hurt to try to clean it up a little bit before I reinstall the switch.

I also tested the continuity on the ghetto spade connector I installed and it also tested perfectly (1 to .001 with perfect tone).

All told, I'll be incredibly surprised if a dirty terminal on the unbalance switch is the cause of my washer getting stuck in "L"/Pause mode, as it was working fine 2 weeks ago.

I'll also be taking the front of the dryer off this evening and will once again compare all the wiring to my reference photos, making sure nothing is unhooked/dangling, and that everything is in its rightful place.

Any thoughts/input based on any of the above?

Thanks,
-Snipe

Offline Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
  • Technician since 1990
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2014, 10:25:12 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, your dryer has a motor relay. Check for 24v to two small wires on relay.

Offline Sniperman

• VIP Member
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2014, 12:20:06 AM »
I'll take a look at the motor relay/24v thing you mentioned. That said, I believe I may have finally found the culprit(s):

1) I noticed the middle connector was unplugged on the front-panel electronic circuit board (this may have occurred this evening when I almost dropped the dryer cover while working on it alone. I was able to squeeze my hand behind the cardboard and plugged it back in, and as I went to plug everything back into the wall, I noticed the next issue.
2) The dryer's power cable had a severely ghetto "fix" performed by the prior owner. I can't believe I just noticed this after unplugging/re-plugging the power cord probably 30 times over the last 2 weeks during all my testing! Here's an image of the power cable, sans duct-tape that was peeling off (and a little bit of electrical tape that was covering the exposed copper) that I removed before I took the picture:

http://reed.blacklight.net/dryer/fubar_power_cord.JPG

Some quick back story: This washer was purchased via Craigslist from West Oakland, so none of this should be surprising. When I received the stackable unit 5 years ago or so, my friend and I noticed the exact same issue with the WASHER's power cord, and we fixed it up PROPERLY. I can't believe I just now noticed the FUBAR dryer power cord after all this time. I'm guessing it got messed up over the course of the last couple weeks with how many times I unplugged it from the wall and then just let it drop to the floor. If I recall correctly, my friend and I noticed the damaged washer power cord when it started exhibiting very strange symptoms, likely similar to what I'm currently experiencing. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if everything works again after properly repairing the dryer's power cord. As a quick aside, I did test the washer and dryer this evening after getting both switches re-installed and the same problems were still occurring. I'll reply here once I've fixed the cord and gotten everything put back together (may not be for a few days unfortunately)! Please cross your fingers fixing the cord resolves my issues once and for all!! =)

Thanks,
-Snipe
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:22:31 AM by Sniperman »

Offline Sniperman

• VIP Member
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2014, 12:33:44 PM »
I took a look at the questionable power cord repair job last night, and it looks like it was actually acceptable. I haven't had a chance to re-repair it yet, but I'm now doubtful this was actually causing my problems. My friend is going to be kind enough to help me with additional diagnosis when he gets back from Burningman, so I'm going to take a step away from this project for a week or so, and will post back here when I have additional findings/a success story =).

Thanks,
-Snipe

Maytag Neptune Dryer won't stay lit

Started by mjes

Replies: 5
Views: 3596
Last post January 12, 2008, 11:22:38 PM
by rickgburton
Maytag Neptune Gas Dryer - won't stay lit

Started by ttekcol

Replies: 2
Views: 4040
Last post May 03, 2009, 01:38:23 AM
by laundryman
Maytag Gas Dryer won't stay lit

Started by lauze

Replies: 10
Views: 2831
Last post June 09, 2012, 04:08:03 PM
by AJ
maytag electric dryer motor wont stay running

Started by abducens

Replies: 7
Views: 1641
Last post July 29, 2012, 03:01:09 PM
by AJ
LDG7304 Maytag Dryer - making a lot of noise.

Started by robert

Replies: 5
Views: 6483
Last post February 20, 2011, 07:33:06 PM
by jumptrout51
Maytag Dryer Problem

Started by jborden

Replies: 10
Views: 7245
Last post August 15, 2007, 12:06:18 PM
by AJ