Author Topic: Kenmore Elite Oasis Electric Dryer - Keeps blowing thermal fuse  (Read 132 times)

Offline bauercb

• VIP Member
Dryer keeps getting hot and blowing thermal fuse.  I have checked and cleaned all duct inside the unit and external duct.  I have replaced the High Limit thermostat and Thermal cut off on the heating element.  I have disassembled the heater coil and inspected for a break or grounding and it looks good.  Continuity check on element shows good as well.  Checked blower for debris and cleaned out.  Replaced Exhaust thermistor with new thermal fuse and ran manually and worked fine.  Then my wife ran dryer with clothes in it and when I checked the unit seemed very hot and had shut down.  Had power but blew thermal fuse.  I pulled the control top off and checked the machine control electronics board.  Inside I found an tech sheet and read it.  It suggested in one test for heat not shutting off to remove the P4 connector and check the ohms on the connector between the P4-3 and p4-6 wire.  Said if between 5-15k replace the control electronics.  Meter showed 13k.  Before I spend $142.00 on new board, is there anything else to check or is there any other way to check the control board.  Thanks

Offline keithvibe

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Kenmore Elite Oasis Electric Dryer - Keeps blowing thermal fuse
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 03:55:16 PM »
did you try running a cycle or two with the vent that goes outside disconnected? My first step would be to do that. Second step would be to get some temps coming out of the back of the dryer.
If you run a few cycles with the vent disconnected and it doesn't pop the over load. Your problem is venting.

Offline bauercb

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 04:28:05 PM »
Yes, temps are all within range when I check at each setting with both the vent disconnected and connected.  But when I run in a normal cycle it overheats and blows thermal fuse.  It is my understanding that in a normal cycle it runs until the sensor detects the clothes are dry then shuts down.  Thought about the moisture sensor being bad, but that would not explain overheating...  Thanks

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 09:12:36 PM »
I think you have a sticking heater relay on your control board, mostly because you've replaced everything else. Replace the relay or the control.

Offline bauercb

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 08:33:28 AM »
I think you are right.  I put a meter on the heater relay on the control board and it showed closed circuit, continuity between the connections.  The relay should be normally open.  Also, in diagnostics mode as soon as I start the dryer even in air dry mode, the heater comes on right away and stays on.  Thanks for the input...

Whirlpool/Kenmore Electric dryer top thermal fuse blow/wire burnt

Started by Washaman

Replies: 6
Views: 2193
Last post October 12, 2011, 12:54:53 PM
by Washaman
Kenmore dryer blowing thermal fuses

Started by Grayfox

Replies: 6
Views: 3795
Last post December 22, 2008, 08:32:07 PM
by Grayfox