Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer PartsDryer PartsRefrigerator PartsDishwasher PartsRange & Oven PartsAll Appliance Parts

Author Topic: Whirlpool gas dryer conversion kit from Propane to Natural gas  (Read 76 times)

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
I have a Whirlpool gas dryer with model number WGD4900XW1 That was given to me with the propane conversion pieces in the gas valve. This unit has a gas valve that is slightly different from older models, The orifice can be removed and replaced easily to go back to natural gas but the main part of the valve has a sheet metal type cover over the regulator section. This is completely different than what I have seen in the past and there is no plug to unscrew to put in an alternate arrangement as I have done in the past. There is a marking on this cover that indicates LP or Natural gas supposedly to turn it but I see no way to do this. The sheet metal cover is held in place with 6 star screws with a button in the center of each making an ordinary star wrench impossible to use.. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to convert this valve back to Natural gas from propane besides changing the ofrifice ? Need help ASAP

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool gas dryer conversion kit from Propane to Natural gas
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 08:16:14 PM »
Think you have Style B Gas Valve? Follow these instructions.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
Tanks
I will attempt to rotate the cap using the dogleg type pliers as shown in the diagram. The small star head screws are moveable but one is under the edge of the LH solenoid coil and looks to be impossible to get it out . Just out of curiousity what would be the problem /result if the cap is not rotated ? ( I have already found a correct size orifice and installed it )

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
If the cap is not reversed, the regulator will be blocked in the LP position and the gas pressure at the orifice will be too high.
Get yourself a set of security torx bits. https://www.amazon.com/Torx-Driver-Security-T-10-T-40/dp/B0002SPLQ8

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
I was able to loosen the security torx bit screws  and turn the valve plate to the appropriate position. Thanks for the input.

Conversion of a dryer back to Natural gas from Propane

Started by Thorning

Replies: 8
Views: 2415
Last post July 21, 2015, 09:01:07 AM
by Thorning
Video: How to check voltage at cord on a Whirlpool electric dryer.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 12785
Last post August 06, 2007, 05:57:19 PM
by AJ
Video: How to take your Whirlpool dryer apart to replace parts & remove lint

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 26150
Last post August 16, 2007, 06:02:43 PM
by AJ
How to replace Whirlpool Dryer Motor.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 10797
Last post January 15, 2009, 08:13:09 PM
by AJ
whirlpool dryer gew9250PW1

Started by rclarkco

Replies: 1
Views: 6621
Last post December 16, 2007, 01:17:43 PM
by Pegi
Whirlpool Dryer - Run, but does not heat.

Started by AJ

Replies: 5
Views: 6893
Last post May 30, 2015, 09:07:45 AM
by fairbank56