Author Topic: Should I or should I not by another Maytag washer?  (Read 1511 times)

Offline smith

• VIP Member
Should I or should I not by another Maytag washer?
« on: July 27, 2008, 09:45:48 AM »
We have had our Maytag mah3000aww for about ten years. We have not had any problems with it until the tub bearing went out.

In searching online I see that a lot of people have had many problems with there Neptune washers. Guess we have been lucky if you can call it that.

We really like how the Neptune washer gets the cloths so clean, but wonder if we should by another Maytag front load or look at another brand.

Has there been any big changes in the design of the front load washer in the last ten years?

What should we look for in our new washer and what should we try to avoid?

Thank you,

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Should I or should I not by another Maytag washer?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 10:13:13 AM »
Here's my perspective on the Neptune. I was working for Maytag Corp when this machine was designed and first put on the market in 1997.  I bought the first run of this washer myself and kept it for 6 years. During that time, Maytag was busy correcting design issues and making vast improvements on the MAH3000. Over the next 3 years, 4 more models showed up, each with significant improvement over previous designs. I actually gave up on my 3000 after I had: replaced the machine control & wax motor, replaced the motor control board and discovered a broken spinner support.

I promptly went and bought the latest model in 2003, the MAH5500 series. It had no wax motor and all the other issues had been dealt with as well. To date, it has not missed a lick and has not needed any attention. I have absolutely no traces of mildew nor any odors from the machine. (I take precautions)   The main thing is that all the stuff you read about the Neptunes is mainly about the first run of these machines, and with due respect to Mayatg, the thing should have had a little more Quality control done before they released it for sale. Nowadays, the machine is basically trouble-free and is currently being made by Samsung for Maytag. I have since worked on the newest models and found only minor issues, mainly related to the installation and balance of the washer.  I'm not promoting them over any other brand, I'm just saying that they are still a good brand to have today, compared to some of the others on the market.

You will hear some swear by Whirlpool, such as the Duet. I too believe this is a good product, and I give it second place in my list of choices to recommend. Mainly, the idea these days is to stick with a brand that you can easily get parts for later and repair. With help sites such as this one and my own, there is no logical reason why folks can't start fixing these things themselves to an extent and forget all those repair charges. There are instructional manuals on virtually everything these days, so include this reasoning when you go shopping.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline Penguin45

• VIP Member
    • www.ukwhitegoods.com
Re: Should I or should I not by another Maytag washer?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 06:33:34 PM »
Interesting. Here in the UK, the top loader is the exception and the front loader rules. Since the introduction of "Energy Ratings" in (I think) 1998, they have changed beyond recognition. They all strive to achieve "A" for energy and water efficiency, 1500 spin plus gives you "A" for extraction as well. This includes budget appliances, which with high spin lead lamentably short lives.

Odour and mildew problems are rampant in the UK, due to constant low temperature laundering. As Repair-man says, a cleaning regime is essential - a monthly boil wash using a quality biological detergent works wonders over here.

In Australia, the government actually pays a bounty to people changing from top to front loaders, due to the huge water savings garnered.

Long term, they are the future. That Maytag took the first proper modern punt at doing the job in the US is to be applauded, that they have continued to develop the product in a stubborn market, even more so.

Penguin45,
Interested bystander in the UK.

Maytag Neptune washer MAH4000AWW

Started by Sue

Replies: 8
Views: 8589
Last post February 09, 2013, 07:41:01 AM
by def
Video: Old Maytag Gas Washer

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 4002
Last post September 04, 2007, 10:34:57 PM
by AJ
Maytag Washer Bearing Repalcement MLG2000AWW

Started by davidpgh1

Replies: 8
Views: 10563
Last post January 06, 2008, 01:59:10 PM
by inot66
Maytag LAT8704AAE Washer Leak

Started by endresrk

Replies: 3
Views: 5657
Last post August 28, 2007, 08:11:12 PM
by AJ
How to replace a Maytag - Amana washer water pump and belt.

Started by AJ

Replies: 18
Views: 30140
Last post April 19, 2010, 08:23:29 PM
by JWWebster
How old is my Maytag washer?

Started by jon

Replies: 1
Views: 18198
Last post September 03, 2007, 12:42:08 PM
by AJ