Author Topic: Kenmore side by side, water tastes terrible  (Read 2911 times)

Offline 2kcloudy

• VIP Member
Kenmore side by side, water tastes terrible
« on: July 19, 2008, 08:59:29 AM »
I have a 3.5 year old kenmore side by side and the logic board has died twice.  Most recently, the fridge was off for 12 days waiting for the part.  When it was fixed, we started using the water from it again and it tastes terrible.  i've flushed the lines over and over and changed the water filter, still no luck.  Any water that sits in the internal lines just tastes terrible.  What are my options?  Has anyone replaced the waterlines through the fridge before?  BTW, my tap water tastes just fine, so I know it has to do w/something in the lines.  TIA for the help.

Offline Al Capone

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • ApplianceJunk.com
Re: Kenmore side by side, water tastes terrible
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 09:13:06 AM »
Hi 2kcloudy

Could we get the model number of that refrigerator?

Thanks,
RepairClinic.com - Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy!

AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 1 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Water tastes terrible
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 09:58:35 AM »
Foul tastes in water tanks on the fridge have been an interest of mine for several years. It took lots of trial and error to finally grasp what was contributing to the problem. The first problem came to arise from the latest trend of filtering the incoming water. Although it is a good idea to remove certain contaminants, such as cryptosporidium cysts, etc., these filters also tend to remove the chlorine elements from the treated water, thus rendering the output water 'without preservatives", so to speak. Since the refrigerator conveniently holds 2 quarts of chilled water in a plastic reservoir, the water has time to sit and develop microscopic byproducts,  many of which add taste and even white floaties to the water from the reservoir. In these cases, a new reservoir is recommended to rid the unit of the contamination. Not a difficult nor very expensive venture.

The other thing I found extremely interesting was the choice of water line used from the wall to the refrigerator. Many installers and hardware stores promote white or blue plasic vinyl water lines due to their flxibilty. These are a soft plastic, often seen with interwoven string in the opaque skin for reinforcement. The only problem with these is that they invariably add a nasty taste to the water which filters do not react to. It is a chemical taste in my opinion, but customers have described it in other, less tactful terms. My recommendation is to replace such an installation with the old standard 8-foot of 1/4" copper tubing coiled up for easy movement of the refrigerator. Copper will not addd one bit of taste to the water and will last a long time. Do the water line first, then replace the reservoir if the taste does not completely go away. You may not be able to flush the taste from the reservoir, as it is porous and retains precipitates.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 10:02:27 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline apptech

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 10:05:34 AM »
Very interesting post Repair-man.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 04:28:56 PM »
I've also read (and tried it), that the white floaties can be found in the ice (water) when it melts, from the calcium in the water.

The "freezing" precipitates the calcium and then doesn't dissolve back into the water.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_cubes

"Melting ice cubes sometimes precipitate white flakes, commonly known as "floaties". This is calcium carbonate which is present in many water supplies and is completely harmless."
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

kenmore side by side fridge,water dripping regularly from water dipencer

Started by kambogs

Replies: 4
Views: 1848
Last post June 16, 2009, 09:55:50 AM
by kambogs
Kenmore refrigerator side by side ice/water and light controls stopped working

Started by Tucker54

Replies: 1
Views: 945
Last post July 31, 2012, 03:15:30 PM
by haroldsappliance
Water Disp Leaking Kenmore (Whirlpool) Side by side Refrigerator 106.52754100

Started by MisterEd

Replies: 3
Views: 1932
Last post August 07, 2012, 07:13:40 AM
by haroldsappliance
Kenmore side by side-ice door flap?

Started by Jearls2

Replies: 2
Views: 1720
Last post October 08, 2008, 09:26:40 PM
by JWWebster
Kenmore 106.56539400 Side By Side Not Cooling?

Started by shacky001

Replies: 6
Views: 3123
Last post October 09, 2008, 02:14:49 PM
by JWWebster
KitchenAid Side by SIde Ice Dispenser issues and water

Started by santarosa

Replies: 6
Views: 5421
Last post October 23, 2008, 03:22:29 PM
by santarosa