Author Topic: Kitchenaid Dishwasher not Filling with Water  (Read 1923 times)

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
Kitchenaid Dishwasher not Filling with Water
« on: July 22, 2008, 07:23:53 AM »
Model Number: KUDS03CTBL3 icon, This dishwasher had been recently purchased and installed by the customer but once they wanted to use it, the lights to select the wash came on, and it sounded like it was doing something, but it never filled with water or started to wash the dishes. Thinking this may have something to do with the installation, I started by removing the access panel unit and looking around for anything that may seem out of place.

Using your Senses
With the panel removed, everything appeared to be where it should be and nothing looked obvious out of place, but I did notice some electrical tape wrapped around one of the black wires leading to the fill valve. It is not uncommon to find wires taped, but this one wasn't neatly dressed like the others, and once I pulled on it, the two wires it was meant to hold together came apart. Seeing now the brown wires that run to the float switch and on to the fill valve were an open circuit, would explain why the unit never filled with water. But when the wash cycle was started, or the cancel button was pressed, the drain pump should operate which it never did. So now I found myself facing two different problems with no apparent connection from a newly installed unit. Figuring there had to be one, I consulted the tech sheet to find out just what that connection might be.

Common Paths
Looking over the wiring diagram, I found the brown wires to the fill valve and the brown wires to the drain pump are routed to the control board through the same connector. There is no physical connection between these wires other than on the board itself. I pulled the panel off to access the control board which looked fine, but once I removed it from the plastic housing, the reason for this unit not functioning became obvious. It looks like once the connection is made on the board, the fill valve and drain pumps share some common circuitry, and it was this section of the board that had seen better days.

Problem Resolution
Obviously the board needed to be replaced, but I wanted to make sure whatever caused this board to fail was fixed and not going to damage the replacement which leads me back to the broken wire. It turns out that the wire had become damaged when it had been pinched between the cover and the sides of the junction box during installation. The unit worked fine up until the control board actuated the fill valve resulting in a short circuit to the frame. The components on the board being the weakest link burned up opening the circuit on the board preventing the drain pump from working too. I repaired the brown wire with solder and shrink wrap, then replaced the control board and made this new dishwasher ready to wash dishes.

KUDS03CTBL3

Kitchenaid Dishwasher not Filling with Water

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 7885
Last post August 22, 2008, 12:39:19 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Kitchenaid dishwasher does not fill with water

Started by sandy

Replies: 12
Views: 11127
Last post July 13, 2010, 05:12:30 PM