Author Topic: AC malfunction  (Read 9466 times)

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: AC malfunction
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 01:59:12 PM »
Every detail you provide not only speeds things up for you but at the same time keeps this forum topic from becoming a bit chatty and drawn out  :).

The problem will be somewhere outside, most likely. The LV wires to the condenser are often cut by trimmers, chewed by dogs and rodents, etc. Go out there and carefully examine the wires to the unit (LV) all the way into the control panel to the contactor. A single loose connection under a wire nut somewhere can ruin your day. Check the contactor for signs of fire ant infestation and/or burned contacts while you're at it.

You can also attach your voltmeter leads across the 2 LV wires out there and go inside to set the thermostat to "cool". The reading should be 24 0r 25 volts to the wires at the unit. If voltage is present, replace the contactor. If no voltage is there, the thermostat may be at fault. Pay attention to the new thermostat wiring instructions when you get ready to replace it. Sometimes they need a jumper here or there, and they are all different in setup.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 02:01:24 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 02:27:49 PM »
just for clarification, that's 24v or 25v AC
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline pcgondreau

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 06:00:53 AM »
I forgot to update you on my situation. I changed the thermostat as J.W. suggested, and that solved the trick. J.W., you the man! You helped me fix my washing machine in the winter. I can't begin to estimate the oodles of $ you saved my from dishing out to repairmen for both jobs! Thanks a million!