Author Topic: Atlantis washer has oily looking spray on floor and around housing  (Read 1661 times)

Offline jcmartin1

• VIP Member
Hello,
I recently purchased a used Maytag Atlantis top load washer. It seems to work fine with the exception of noticing a black swirl on the floor of oily residue after each wash. It is also around the bottom of the interior housing panels for the machine.  I would imagine the source the middle pulley area where the belt passes. But I am not 100% sure. I have been thinking about just buying a rubber mat to catch the spray or repair.  I want to be sure that I am repairing or replacing the right items before I get started.  I also would like to know if I require any special tools, and should I replace any additional parts when doing the job.  Other than that it seems to work fine. It jumps up and down in spin cycle, but I am hoping I can find the right foot adjustments to stop that. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Model mav6451aww

:-\

mav6451aww

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Hi JC;

Alas, that's the thing about a used machine. Like Forrest Gump, you never know what you'll get :)

You got one that has an upper seal leak which has escalated into a transmission problem. When the tub seal failed, it allowed water to permeate the transmission thru the agitator seal. The water caused the oil inside the transmission to be displaced, hence the signs on the floor. You are facing a new transmission, which includes the seal kit needed to stop the leak. Unfortunately, about $120 in special tools are required to do work on this machine, as you will see from other posts on the Atlantis washer. Up to you to decide if this is really the machine of your dreams.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Maytag Atlantis Washer, fills starts stops

Started by crazeddad

Replies: 10
Views: 5841
Last post August 17, 2008, 09:57:54 AM
by Repair-man
Maytag Atlantis washer bearing and seal question

Started by grdnhappy

Replies: 1
Views: 4037