Author Topic: Kenmore Out of Ice  (Read 3893 times)

Offline checkride

• VIP Member
Kenmore Out of Ice
« on: September 16, 2007, 06:09:06 PM »
My 106.9545721 Refreg is giving me a problem with the ice maker. It suddenly quit making ice. I was told it may be the water valve and the way to tell is put water in the ice tray and see if it is making ice. I did this and it made ice but it looks to be one solid block and it didn't dump. It looks like the dividers may be out of the ice tray as I see the solid block of ice to the lefy and the dividers are to the right :( of the block of ice.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
Re: Kenmore Out of Ice
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 08:34:13 PM »
I was told it may be the water valve and the way to tell is put water in the ice tray and see if it is making ice.

Not sure about putting water in the tray as I have never done that.
To check the water valve you can ohm it out with a meter.

You could also check to see if the fill tube going though the back wall into the ice maker is frozen shut.

Are the white arms that scoop the ice out frozen down in the block of ice now?
Follow us on Google+ to see updates from our Google Drive and more!

Offline checkride

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 09:35:17 AM »
I have an Ohm meter, but I don't know how to check the ohms. Any suggestions?

You may be right about the arms frozed and maybe the fill tube also. Someone had told me to fill the tray with water and if everything is working it would dump ice, then I would know it is the water valve. Apparently something else may be the problem or this procedure doesn't work. I think I will defrost it today and look closer at what is going on. I will check the fill tube also.

Thanks

Offline apptech

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 12:06:43 PM »
You will either get a reading like in the photo or no reading if the coil on the water valve is open. If you get no reading the coil on the valve is bad and you will need a new water valve.

It's very common to find the fill tube frozen shut on these so check that and let us know what you find..

Offline Pegi

• VIP Member
  • Owner/Tech
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 12:28:19 PM »
Frig. made by Whirlpool.
""but it looks to be one solid block and it didn't dump""  From your description you most likely put too much water in the ice mold, and you would not be able to see the cube seperators with the ice in there except for the very top on the sides...if it is just sitting there and not trying to harvesting the ice in the mold I am suspecting you have a defective module head on the ice maker, if this is out you will not get any water either since the ice maker has to cycle for it to give power to the fill valve to open and put the water into the icemaker mold....

Offline checkride

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 03:06:38 PM »
OK. The ohm reads 241 on the red side and 284 on the blue side. So this means the water valve I ordered isn't needed. Right?

Also, the fill tube didn't have an ice plug.

I took the ice maker down and deiced. I see some corrosion in the ice trays. other than that it looks normal in there. Everything was frozen. I must of poured water over already frozen ice. Oh, before I unplugged the frig, I did hear a sound that sounded like bubbling water from the back of the frig at the elevation of the ice maker. Don't know what that was.

I hooked up everything and powered up. No water at this time. (approx. 30 minutes running).

I did notice reciently that my ice was sticking together and would have to use an ice pick to seperate.

Do I need a new icemaker?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 08:33:46 PM »
OK. The ohm reads 241 on the red side and 284 on the blue side. So this means the water valve I ordered isn't needed. Right?

Yeah, chances are the valve is ok. It checks ok with a meter.

if it is just sitting there and not trying to harvesting the ice in the mold I am suspecting you have a defective module head on the ice maker, if this is out you will not get any water either since the ice maker has to cycle for it to give power to the fill valve to open and put the water into the icemaker mold....

Could not have said it better myself. :)

Do I need a new icemaker?

That's the way I would go. You could try to replace just the module on the end of the ice maker, but for the trouble and cost difference I would just replace the ice maker unit itself. Seems like once you have trouble with the module other parts (heater, mold, etc) are soon to give trouble too.

I have had the best luck with replacing the ice maker as a kit.

Here is the ice maker kit for your refrigerator.

Offline checkride

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 09:31:20 PM »
Thanks for the help and advice. FYI. I opened up my freezer this evening and saw the arm come up and the ice maker went through the dump cycle but no water was in the trays. I wonder what that means.

I ordered a new water valve and ice tray kit. That should get it. I have really enjoyed reading the forms the last couple days. I have learned so much.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 09:35:45 PM by checkride »

Offline checkride

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 06:24:05 PM »
Well, I changed the water valve to no avail. The ice maker keeps cycling through like it is dumping ice, but no water. >:(   

Any suggestions as why?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 06:41:37 PM »

Also, the fill tube didn't have an ice plug.

Yeah, chances are the valve is ok. It checks ok with a meter.

Well, I changed the water valve to no avail. The ice maker keeps cycling through like it is dumping ice, but no water.   

Any suggestions as why?

Thought we already decided that the water valve was ok.

If your sure the fill tube is not plugged all there is left to try is a replacement ice maker.

I ordered a new water valve and ice tray kit. That should get it.

If you got the ice maker too then give it a try. :)

Offline checkride

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 07:59:25 PM »
We did decide the water valve was ok. However, I had already ordered it prior to.  How do you go about determining if the fill tube is frozen up with ice or not? When I had the ice maker apart I could stick a screw driver inside it.  Thanks.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 08:11:22 PM »
How do you go about determining if the fill tube is frozen up with ice or not? When I had the ice maker apart I could stick a screw driver inside it.  Thanks.

Remove the tube from the water valve. Put it to your mouth and try to blow air through it.

If it's open you will be able to blow air through it.

kenmore refrigerator model # 52552100 no ice

Started by davelita

Replies: 6
Views: 9716
Last post August 04, 2007, 03:24:08 PM
by AJ
Kenmore model # 106.5229910 no ice

Started by happyeverafter

Replies: 5
Views: 5230
Last post August 06, 2007, 06:55:06 AM
by AJ