Author Topic: Samsung RFG297AARS Ice Maker Problem  (Read 408 times)

Offline Pbfoot

• VIP Member
Samsung RFG297AARS Ice Maker Problem
« on: August 16, 2014, 12:05:43 PM »
I've done some searching on this board (great info by the way) on these crappy fridges regarding the ice maker and I see these are well, crap.

I just wanted a sanity check with those of you more experienced at repairing these before I start buying things.

Couple weeks ago I took the ice bin out and dumped it in a cooler- I'd say the bin was out for 5-10 min before I replaced it. Next day there was no ice. Pressed the reset button until it chimed and let it go. Another day goes by, no ice. I pull the bin out and feel around the right side of the ice maker and the tines that push the ice out are sitting down below the guard/shield that is there. I think, ok, it must be getting ready to dump. Later that night I can here a "wirr-wirr-wirr" sound with about 2-3 seconds between the actual noise. I slide my hand up on the right side again and the tines are in the same position they were before but I can feel them trying to move.

I found a service manual online and saw how to remove the ice maker. I did that and took the top cover off and notice that the tines are sitting on top of the ice. I warm the ice maker up enough to get the ice out and put it back in the fridge and hit the reset button. The tines start moving and soon after I hear water dispensed into the tray. I put it all back together and go to bed.

Next morning, no ice again- same thing, the tines are sitting on top of the ice. I run the diagnostic self-check and I get the R-1-e error code, Ice Maker Error. I took the ice maker out, emptied the ice, and put it back together again. Pressed the ice maker reset and let it run until the tines rotated and dispensed water again. Then I ran the self-check again and got no error code.

As I type this I sit here with the same issues, ice is in the tray, tines are sitting on top of the ice. I heard the ice maker making that "wirr-wirr-wirr" sound. I just ran the diagnostic self check and got the R-1-e code again.
I'm thinking that the heating element has gone bad and the ice maker itself needs to be replaced since everything else seems to function as it should, just won't dump the ice. Oh, this is the 9-cube ice maker by the way.

Thanks for taking the time to read my sad story- another in the long line of crappy Samsung appliances...  :thanks:

Offline BJ

• Technician
Re: Samsung RFG297AARS Ice Maker Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 05:48:40 PM »
Sounds like the heater is dead, bad sensor (should be located under the im mold if its a flex tray model) or a stripped motor. In any case you would have to replace the entire im to remedy the issue.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 06:07:04 PM »
Replace the IM assy. The ejector may be caught on bent ice strippers. O0

Offline Pbfoot

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 05:29:24 PM »
Thanks for confirming my suspicions! You guys  :buttrock:

:cheers:
Kevin