Author Topic: Maytag Bravos Won't Spin: Lid Lock Fail or Main Board/other issue?  (Read 1060 times)

Offline A-Dub

• VIP Member
Hello all-

I am new here and have a problem.

I have a Maytag MVWX500XW2 that is a couple months out of warranty...

Anyway, I have done some of the diagnostic tests and researched the issue a good bit.

When it performs the automatic test, it usually fails when it gets to "Motor Spins" test.  I get a "lid lock fault" error.  (The machine stops and lid lock light flashes)  I believe the lid lock fault was also occasionally occurring earlier in the wash cycle when in normal use.

My question is this: Is the problem likely the lid latch (the lock mechanically seems to work since it locks and unlocks at times) or would it be more likely to be the main board not able to detect the lid is locked when going to spin?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

-Andrew

Offline Jdm

• Technician
Re: Maytag Bravos Won't Spin: Lid Lock Fail or Main Board/other issue?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 08:44:22 AM »
Lid lock light will flash when the machine itself has a problem. You need to put it in a diagnostic test & get the fault codes first. The manual is under the top on the front of the cabinet.
It's not the legacy you leave, it's the lives you impact

Offline A-Dub

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 08:52:06 AM »
Jdm-

Ok I have performed the automatic test and it stops at the motor spins test.

Do I then need to perform the fault/error code procedure after performing the automatic test in diagnostic mode?

Offline Jdm

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 08:53:57 AM »
Fault codes will help
It's not the legacy you leave, it's the lives you impact

Offline A-Dub

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 09:01:07 AM »
Ok I will try that when I get home.

I wasn't sure if the fault/error codes were saved/generated after a diagnostic test or in regular use.

Thank you

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 09:52:14 AM »
It stores fault codes from normal use and from diagnostic tests. Read the section on your tech sheet on how to retrieve fault codes and tell us what is stored.  Then we can help you out.
LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
    • Ransom Mobile Appliance Repair Service
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 10:54:01 AM »
Ok I will try that when I get home.

I wasn't sure if the fault/error codes were saved/generated after a diagnostic test or in regular use.

Thank you
Make sure the Basket rotates freely by hand both direction's, if it doesn't then you may have something stuck between the Inner Basket and Outer Tub.
When you run the Fault Code Display Mode (after you Activate the Service Diagnostic Test Mode), the first code is the most recent (be sure to write them down in order).
Also, be sure the nut is tight on the big belt pulley (located in the bottom center underneath the unit, remove plastic cover shield to tighten the nut).
Afterwards, run the Manual Test for Agitation & Spin Mode (lift the top panel during test to see if it will try to Agitate and/or Spin).
If the Fault/Error Code is either F7E1 & F7E5 (or both), the most common part that fails on this unit is the Shifter/Actuator (p/n W10006355).
After replacing any electrical parts, always run the Calibration Test so the Washer works properly.
View the video (below) from YouTube to help you get into Diagnostic Mode & Fault Code Display Mode:

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 11:05:31 AM by rockinrobin »

Offline A-Dub

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 11:45:14 AM »
LowSL2- Ok I will run the fault codes and let you guys know what they say.

rockinrobin- I do remember that when I tried to turn the basket it only would turn a little ways in either direction before it would "pull back".  I could not turn or spin it on its own.

Thanks

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 12:58:53 PM »
LowSL2- Ok I will run the fault codes and let you guys know what they say.

rockinrobin- I do remember that when I tried to turn the basket it only would turn a little ways in either direction before it would "pull back".  I could not turn or spin it on its own.

Thanks
Check for Fault Code's first, be sure big pulley nut is tight then run the Manual Test Mode for Agitate & Spin (lift Top Panel during Test to view Agitator & Basket movement).
Look underneath the Washer to see if there's any oily residue on any part's mounted under the Tub.
If yes, then you probably have a bad Transmission/Gearcase.
If no, try to manually rotate the big pulley (mounted under Transmission) in both direction's (before rotating be sure pulley nut is tight).
If you cannot rotate the big pulley either direction, then remove Basket to see if there's anything stuck between Basket & Tub (view repair manual for disassembly procedure).
Download the Repair Manual below to help with troubleshooting (link also has a few troubleshooting video's for this type of unit)
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=434

Offline A-Dub

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 07:38:48 PM »
The fault code is F7E1

Offline A-Dub

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 08:25:17 PM »
By the way I performed the manual agitate (gentle and heavy) and spin test. I had the panel open and it agitates fine. When it switches to spin it appears to lock up.

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 08:47:06 PM »
By the way I performed the manual agitate (gentle and heavy) and spin test. I had the panel open and it agitates fine. When it switches to spin it appears to lock up.
See Test #3a: Drive System - Shifter listed in the Repair Manual and Tech Sheet that's located inside the front panel.
If you cannot manually rotate the Basket freely in both direction's (CW & CCW) then something is stuck between the Basket & Tub (view repair manual for Basket disassembly procedure).
If Basket rotates freely both direction's then I would buy a Digital Multimeter from Hardware Store (cost about $10), you'll need to check Ohm's (set meter to 2k or 20k) and AC Voltage (set meter to 200 VAC) for the Shifter/Actuator.  Be sure to unplug Washer when checking Ohm's/Continuity and before removing any wires.
Otherwise, you can just buy the Shifter/Actuator (p/n W10006355) and see if it resolves your issue.
You can order the Shift Actuator from the following website and return it if it doesn't resolve your issue (part comes with a 1-Year Warranty)
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-actuator-w10006355-ap4514409.html
After replacing the Shift Actuator (or after reconnecting any wires), you'll need to run the Calibration Mode Test for the Washer to work properly.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 08:50:15 PM by rockinrobin »

Offline A-Dub

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 08:28:26 AM »
I performed test 3a (drive shift) and also checked the pulley underneath as you mentioned. 

I also kept trying to move the basket as you said.  It finally started to spin freely but I had to turn it pretty hard.  Everything seems to be working now!

Any idea what could have been stuck (would it be possible for a sock or something to get in there or something else?)  Is it something I should worry about?  I don't want something to get damaged.

Thank you very much for the help!

-Andrew

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 09:57:10 AM »
I performed test 3a (drive shift) and also checked the pulley underneath as you mentioned. 

I also kept trying to move the basket as you said.  It finally started to spin freely but I had to turn it pretty hard.  Everything seems to be working now!

Any idea what could have been stuck (would it be possible for a sock or something to get in there or something else?)  Is it something I should worry about?  I don't want something to get damaged.

Thank you very much for the help!

-Andrew
I believe something is stuck between the Basket and Tub (fabric or an underwire bra) and it will cause further damage.
The repair manual shows how to remove the Basket (takes about 15 minutes).  Basket is heavy (need 2 people to lift it out, don't bang it against the plastic tub).
If your satisfied with the troubleshooting assistance then you can buy me a beer or two (click on mug under my screen name).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:17:00 AM by rockinrobin »

Offline A-Dub

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 03:22:24 PM »
I removed the basket, I actually didn't have to remove a spanner nut for my model (but I did manage to find a spanner wrench after some considerable searching around town...:-) ).

Anyway, there wasn't anything between the tub and basket. It passes all tests and seems to be working fine now.

Yes, thank you very much for help!

Maytag Neptune Spin Problem/Contoller board not burnt

Started by sdocsmith

Replies: 3
Views: 2080
Last post January 08, 2009, 02:52:28 PM
by whirlpooltech
Maytag Neptune does not spin - replaced control board looks OK

Started by sgwfromBG

Replies: 3
Views: 2468
Last post October 01, 2009, 06:06:32 PM