Author Topic: Maytag SG1000 Stackable Dryer won't stay lit for more than 5 seconds  (Read 4575 times)

Offline Sniperman

• VIP Member
Hi there,

I have a Maytag SG1000 stackable washer/dryer, and my dryer is exhibiting an issue where the flame won't stay on for more than 5 seconds at a time (meaning my clothes never dry). After the flame goes out, nothing happens for 2 or so minutes, and then the flame will come back on for 5 seconds and then go out again, and this repeats infinitely. I don't know much of anything about washers/dryers, so my friend came over to help me diagnose the issue. He took the 2 spade connector wires off of the high-temp thermostat and connected them together to bypass it and the flame stayed on so long it completely melted one of my drum support rollers! He then mentioned that the high-limit thermostat (part # 303396) was the culprit, so I replaced the thermostat, drum support roller, and drum support roller axle and the EXACT same problem is still happening!! I will admit that I foolishly dropped the high-limit thermostat 4 or so feet onto concrete while I was installing it, but can't imagine that mistake would result in the same behavior as the prior thermostat. I'm completely at a loss here, and am trying to avoid dropping the dryer onto the floor so I can completely open it up as it's a 2 to 3 man job to take it off its perch. I've been without a dryer for 8 months now and am losing my mind (along with being out $40 in parts, several hours of labor, and quite a few cuts on my hands). Any help is *GREATLY* appreciated!

Much thanks,
-Snipe

Offline Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
  • Technician since 1990
1st, DONT take dryer off its stand, everything on that dryer is front serviceable. 2nd NEVER! bypass safety device except for the purpose of diagnosing a problem(sounds like you learned this lesson the hard way ). That being said, it sounds like you simply have no air flow. Either your blower wheel broke or your vent is smashed or blocked  . Take loose your vent from behind check for strong air flow, if it is see if dryer works with vent disconnected, if it does your house vent is blocked. If not much air flow and your dryer is making rumbling noise - your blower is likely bad. To replace, remove dryer front, then front bulk head assembly then blower cover

Offline dab147315

• Technician

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
For future reference here is the service manual. Maybe you will find it helpful.
https://plus.google.com/112501127124723139472/posts/5nNQGEiKwxS
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Sniperman

• VIP Member
Maytag Man, I definitely learned my lesson on bypassing things! =/ I just took the rear vent off while running the dryer on E3 mode (highest heat), and it had no effect on the issue at hand. I put both my hand (and face) near the exit hole and didn't feel much air coming out. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to expect as far as air flow as I never tried this when it was operating normally a year ago. I'm surprised this is fully serviceable while on its stand as I don't see a way of taking the front cover off (nor the top), especially given it's taller than I am (how in the world would I take the drum out, stand on a ladder?). I had a hell of a time replacing the melted drum support roller with the drum in place (had to use a mallet while pushing up on the drum with all my strength). My dryer is definitely making what I'd consider to be a terrible noise during operation. I just recorded a 27.2MB 1 min. 19 sec. video of the dryer in operation, showing both the flame's intermittent operation and the nasty sound the dryer is making). Here's the link:

http://reed.blacklight.net/dryer/dryer.mp4

I'll see if I can find a how-to video on AppliancePartsPros for disassembling the front cover/bulk head assembly/blower cover. I'm also considering replacing the 2nd drum support roller (provided I don't have to remove the drum) as it looks like it's not in the best of shape (although it's quite difficult to see). I greatly appreciate everyone's help thus far, and any additional input based on the above is appreciated!

Thanks,
-Snipe
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 09:44:10 PM by Sniperman »

Offline Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
  • Technician since 1990
Ok, this is pretty simple if you are mechanically inclined. First remove cover panel between washer and dryer ( make sure you have disconnected power). 2nd remove front panel by taking 2screws from top. When you hinge front panel out you need to disconnect wires from door switch and from spark gap. Also there is one 5/15 screw holding harness clamp on right side. Remove clamp. Now front panel can be lifted off and placed on top of washer. Now you have 4 5/16 screws holding front drum support. Remove them. Now lift front support off. You can now see your blower wheel. You have about 8 1/4" screws around blower housing and 1 5/16" screw remove them and gain access to blower. There is one snap ring in front of blower remove that and squeeze clamp on blower. Remove blower. Reverse process to reassemble. Make sure that felt seal is all the way around filter housing where it Amit's with the blower housing. Also make sure your glides are under the drum. If you are not comfortable doing this repair, pay someone who is competent   You have one of the best stack washer dryers ever made, you don't want to destroy it:)

Offline Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
  • Technician since 1990
Suposed to say where it mates with the blower housing

Offline Sniperman

• VIP Member
Hi Maytag Man,

I've done a significant amount of work on my Volvo, so I'm "somewhat" mechanically inclinded (working on this dryer has been a hell of a learning experience thus far). Hopefully these are my last questions before I start the disassembly procedure tomorrow afternoon: Did you happen to view the video I took to confirm this is indeed a worthwhile venture/the cause of my anguish? I'm presuming it will be quite obvious if my blower wheel is broken once I get to the point where I can physically look at/inspect it? Also, do you happen to know if I can replace the 2nd drum support roller without taking the drum out? Much thanks as always!

-Snipe

Offline Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
  • Technician since 1990
Yep. Sounds like your blower. Left rear drum Rollie rarely fails, but if you want to replace it, now is the time. All you have to do us slide the drum forward while front support is off. I strongly suggest you looking at how the belt is routed before removing the drum. That belt on the Maytag stack dryer gives many techs a run for their money. It's really not that bad, but look at it before you take it loose. You don't have to take the belt off to change drum rollor if you are careful. I love those units. Built between 1985/1990

Offline Sniperman

• VIP Member
I desperately want to avoid taking the drum out/dealing with the belt as it's not a job I'm comfortable with. Out of curiosity, does the drum slide out of the front of the unit somehow? All of the repair videos I've seen shows it coming out of the top of the unit, which just doesn't seem possible in a stackable configuration. Lastly, would you recommend replacing the drum support roller axle, or is that unnecessary? I'll have a much better idea once I can get a better look at things, but I want to say that it looked like the roller's rubber was cracked when I was able to get a peak at it through a small hole with a flashlight (and it was covered in dust, but I used a shop-vac's blower feature to clear most of the dust away). Thanks again!

-Snipe

Offline Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
  • Technician since 1990
Re: Maytag SG1000 Stackable Dryer won't stay lit for more than 5 seconds
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 07:30:38 AM »
Your drum comes out the front and it's not a big deal. It's going to be kind of falling out on its own, but if you don't turn it your belt will stay on. What part of the country are you in. Sniper I think military I'm in the Hampton Roads part of VA

Offline Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
  • Technician since 1990
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 07:32:18 AM »
Oh, and don't worry about the rollor shaft

Offline Sniperman

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 05:13:20 PM »
I'm in the east bay in the San Francisco area. Thanks again for all of the advice, time to start ripping her apart!

-Snipe

Offline Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
  • Technician since 1990
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 05:14:57 PM »
Well we are only about 3000 miles away. Thank goodness for technology!

Offline Sniperman

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 05:27:25 PM »
Yep, ain't technology grand! ;-) My friend who is more mechanically inclined than I is going to review this thread and can likely help if I run into any stumpers! I'll let you know how everything goes, hopefully I don't have any more questions =).

Regards,
-Snipe

Maytag Neptune Dryer won't stay lit

Started by mjes

Replies: 5
Views: 4755
Last post January 12, 2008, 11:22:38 PM
by rickgburton
Maytag Neptune Gas Dryer - won't stay lit

Started by ttekcol

Replies: 2
Views: 4720
Last post May 03, 2009, 01:38:23 AM
by laundryman
Maytag Gas Dryer won't stay lit

Started by lauze

Replies: 10
Views: 3723
Last post June 09, 2012, 04:08:03 PM
by AJ
maytag electric dryer motor wont stay running

Started by abducens

Replies: 7
Views: 2440
Last post July 29, 2012, 03:01:09 PM
by AJ
LDG7304 Maytag Dryer - making a lot of noise.

Started by robert

Replies: 5
Views: 7979
Last post February 20, 2011, 07:33:06 PM
by jumptrout51
Maytag Dryer Problem

Started by jborden

Replies: 10
Views: 9056
Last post August 15, 2007, 12:06:18 PM
by AJ