Author Topic: Dryer heating problem  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Jn oh

• VIP Member
Dryer heating problem
« on: July 17, 2014, 10:53:04 AM »

Maytag electric dryer model# PYE2300AYN   Rev 10
Hopefully I can explain as simple as possible. For the second time I have installed a new high limit thermostat & thermal fuse in about 3-4 years apart. Dryer wasn't heating is the reason. First time I replaced them (3-4yrs ago) heating problem was corrected. Again about 2 days ago I reinstalled a new set, a high limit thermostat & thermal fuse because it wasn't heating again. Of course there was  lent built up and I have cleaned it out. What happen next is puzzling as soon as the parts were installed HLT & TF and everything put back in place, I plug power power & turned dryer on I could smell burnt ordor. I opened the the dryer lid / door & could see through the perforated panel the heating element a very bright orange- reddish color. Reopened access to the HLT & TF and noticed the heating element burt up, some of the coils complete broken from the burn. I checked the the new HLT & TF  & the older ones also. They all still have continuity and function well under heat, used an electric griddle set at 275-300 f and they will open under said heat.
My question, if I instal a new heating element will I risk that the heating element will burning up again. For the experts does this sound like some other kind of problem. Dryer still runs, hopefully I can get an answer. Thank you kindly.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Dryer heating problem
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 02:42:37 PM »
Replace the element.  This dryer will quit running when the thermal fuse trips.  I think the element was the original problem.

Offline Jn oh

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 03:37:41 PM »
It has never stop running the dryer has always ran. My concern is, if I instal a new heating element will will it burn up again the same way the original heating element has done. If you read through my post I installed a new High limit thermostat & thermal fuse because it was not heating up. At that time of installation the Heating Element was OK. It burnt up after installing the new HLT & TF and power was resumed. Will return in a while if other response is needed.
Thanks for your reply

Offline Jn oh

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 03:41:33 PM »
And after removing the old High Limit Thermostat & Thermal Fuse I checked / tested them (Older HLT & TF) and they were OK. But I went ahead & l installed a new HLT & TF. Element was OK before installing new HLT & TF.

Offline Wilson13

• Technician
  • 20+ years appliance service tech,owner from 2002
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 07:12:51 PM »
there is no reason to assume the element will burn out again, when a dryer quits heating the element is the last thing it usually is. what tgoods was saying is probably true, the element likes to weld itself to ground causing it to bypass thermostats until it trips the thermal fuse, you replaced the fuse then the element burnt out, replace the element it will be fine.

Offline Jn oh

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 08:11:45 PM »
Maytag dryer Model # PYE2300AYW Rev. 10: Problem started with NO HEAT being produced. But it does run and still runs & it also does exhaust air nicely.
3-4 years ago this dryer would not produce heat, so I installed a new "High Limit Thermostat" & new "Thermal Fuse" that fixed the heating problem & dryer started producing heat again. Hence this is 3-4 years ago.

This time around PRESENT TIME same dryer again not producing heat. So again I installed a new "High Limit Thermostat" & new "Thermal Fuse" cleaned out all lent. And Before closing it up I inspected the "HEATING ELEMENT" and it was OK. When I powered up the dryer with the newly installed HLT & TF within seconds the HEATING ELEMENT burnt up. One of my questions would these new parts "HLT & TF have caused the heating element to have burn up. I would like to add that the new High Limit Thermostat & Thermal Fuse + the old HLT & TF I removed are all still functional.

Of course now with the HEATING ELEMENT burnt for sure there will not be any HEAT produce. The part "HEATING ELEMENT" you know is costly and worried if I buy one & install it that it will FRY again in seconds.

If some one could reply who has had a similar problem or might have experienced this type problem before, could tell me what I'm up against or what fixer up route to go. I would like to repair it myself if anyone out There could lead me on to the right track.  Thank you kindly

Offline Jn oh

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 08:30:23 PM »
Guys I get in a hurry & forget my manners. For the replies I've gotten I really appreciate you'al,took the time to do so. Sorry for my concerns it's I'm hoping to make a successful repair without costly damage.
Again thank you'al.

Offline Wilson13

• Technician
  • 20+ years appliance service tech,owner from 2002
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 07:32:09 AM »
Again there is no reason to assume the new heating element will burn up when you install it, if you are worried take an ohm reading between the element and ground. The high limit and thermal fuse cannot cause the element to short out, it may have just been a qoincidence that the element burnt after replacing the new parts.

Offline Jn oh

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 08:33:20 AM »
Wilson
  Greatly appreciate your reply. I will go to the appliance parts dealer this morning it's a ways from my place, but it's the nearest to me. I will update results.
 Thanks Again

Offline Jn oh

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 05:56:48 PM »
Wilson
   Got it fixed while ago. $78.00 for Heating Element was really sweaten it after installing H.E.
Did not know what to expect after powering up dryer, but it worked, glad it didn't fry.
Thank you kindly for your good advice.
Take care

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 06:03:38 PM »
For future reference your model dryer uses heating element part # 53-1641

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-dryer-heating-element-la-1044-ap4242494.html

Thanks for the update!
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Jn oh

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 11:18:42 AM »
AJ
  Thanks for the parts link & glad I found this site. I like to repair my own stuff when I see it possible your site was like an extra very handy tool.
 Thanks again

GE Dryer DDE8500SBMWH Heating Problem

Started by police22

Replies: 9
Views: 2691
Last post January 17, 2010, 02:52:26 AM
by police22
Maytag Dryer Problem

Started by jborden

Replies: 10
Views: 8111
Last post August 15, 2007, 12:06:18 PM