365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: I have got to do some heavy thinking about hanging out my shingle  (Read 269 times)

Offline Maintech

• Technician
Re: I have got to do some heavy thinking about hanging out my shingle
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 11:14:16 AM »
I worked at sears when I started my own business. For 2 years I stayed at sears and run my business on the side. Pros: Potential to make way more money( But I am not a big fan of hard work so I settle for less) More freedom or flexibility with work day and week( No more saturday work). I am my own boss.....
Cons:No unemployment No short or long term disability. No vacation pay or time...

When you start crunching numbers You better add to your yearly salary now the benefits you will have to cover ex van gas insurance etc. Also remember appliances are not getting easier more mistakes made at your expense not someone else. My opinion if it was me and I was in an area I could be 100 percent COD customer I would consider the move. But if I had to depend on warranty work I would stay where I was at.

Right now Sears/ A&E in my area is overloaded on a good day I get to the last call at 7-7:30 and forced in on days off at least 2x per month , this makes working on the side very hard. I honestly think it is only going to get worse, our lead mentor and another mentor tech are both close to leaving over some of the BS, we have lost 5 senior techs in the last year.

I have no desire to get involved in warranty work , just do not see the profit margin in it. On the other hand I would consider getting a few small apartment building accounts .

In my calculations I have tried to account for everything including van maintenance and replacement , commercial insurance, health insurance, every various business expense I can think of , average parts per call, Where I do not have a solid number for a expense I try to ballpark +25%.

Offline rbmappltech

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 05:35:47 PM »
We got the same problem in our area also. We have lost 6 techs in the last 4 months, Sears is getting harder to work for due to all the BS they heap upon us. However in our neck of the woods they try to keep the overtime down. They will reschedule, shuffle calls around. Sears ends up upsetting more and more customers.
 Anyhow I would go for C.O.D only customers, you will do better. The only advantage I see in warranty work is the information you can receive for new products. Other wise warranty work is not  worth it. There is plenty of info on the web for appliance repair. Such as this site which is great.

Offline helpful Hal

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
Starting your own business can be challenging, but it can be done and very rewarding. I do warranty work, it seemed to help me, to get started. I am in a rural area od Oklahoma. I am getting lots of C.O.D. work from customers who at first were warranty calls. Biggest thing is keep your over head low, low, low at first. The only advertisement I have done is a refrigerator magnets with my company name and number and I have a small sticker I place inside the refrigerator, near the model number tag.  The rest of my business has came from word of mouth.  I worked for Sears for 12 years, then bought a MR. Appliance franchise, (Costly mistake) and sold out is 2008, then I moved to where I was raised in Oklahoma, and went to work for A&E for 1 year and quit and started my own business. I started working on the side and decided if I could make as much as I would make in a weak with A&E at 20.00 hour, then I would start my own business within weeks I achieved that goal and left A&E/Sears. Sears had changed a lot since I first worked for them.  If they would let you just be a great technician, that would be fine, but all of the upselling and long hours is for the birds.  As far as parts inventory goes, I have built up a good inventory over the parts 5 years and I will take the parts with that I think I might need.  I carry some parts in my truck bed tool boxes on my S-10 pickup, but I can't carry it all, so I load up what I think I may need before I leave for the day.  I built a 40x40 shop to keep my parts and truck in. I do not have a store front. One big thing is to charge enough money.

Most appliance businesses that I know of, that have failed , have failed because they charged too little and had too much overhead. I wish you well.

Offline falcon1235

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 02:17:11 PM »
I started in january with about 1k to get incorporated business license ect.The best move i made in the hole process was going to all the property management companies and real estate offices in the area and giving them business cards and 1099 contractor packs with w9 proof of insurance ect it has brought me i would guess 150 or so calls in the last 7 months. Also talked to the local appliance stores the don't offer repair service that worked really well too. The hardest part is getting your name out but not spending all your $ to do it. I am up and running good i average about 15 calls a week and its picking up.

Just my  $0.02  O0
Dustin
All Island Appliance Repair

Thinking of buying this truck tomorrow

Started by JWWebster

Replies: 14
Views: 157
Last post July 30, 2010, 02:48:50 PM
by JWWebster
Thinking about United Services Association

Started by rego

Replies: 28