Author Topic: Survey about American appliance aesthetic! (10 mins)  (Read 2296 times)

Offline bakedpotatoe

• VIP Member
Survey about American appliance aesthetic! (10 mins)
« on: July 13, 2014, 09:53:08 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am a student designer working on a range of appliances with a small group of my peers. We are doing all kinds of research to help identify new opportunities in home appliances and would love to hear from users that use appliances often, like you!

If you could take this brief survey about American product aesthetics and home appliances I would be forever indebted to you!
If you have any questions, or want to share any other opinions / chat about appliances, feel free to PM me!

Thank you so much!

Take the Survey

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: Survey about American appliance aesthetic! (10 mins)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 10:45:49 PM »
Student designer working on a range of appliances?
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline bakedpotatoe

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 10:47:29 PM »
Yep! I'm working freelance with a team to try and come up with new ideas for refrigerator, stovetop, and washing machine.

Offline Brent@CanBC

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 12:14:49 AM »
Well, I have a easy one.   Make them last longer.

Offline bakedpotatoe

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 12:20:58 AM »
Haha, of course! Not really part of my job description. I mostly cover features and selling points. Ease of use, etc.

You need to have a talk with the engineers.  :P

Offline rbmappltech

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 06:32:42 AM »
Make them easy to work on.

Offline afterblast

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 09:59:16 PM »
the design aesthetic can play a large part in how easy or hard an appliance is to work on....

recently whirlpool switched from a 2 part front on their duet washers to a single piece, while I'm sure part of this change was to simplify manufacturing... I suspect another part of it was to get rid of the seam that appeared between the panels...  their are a whole host of repairs that this makes more complicated..  for example previously if you had a no drain, you could take the lower panel off and check the pump, as well as clear the trap...  now you must get to the back of the washer because the only way to access this is to take the front panel off, and to get the panel off you need to remove the top, which screws on in the back.... so if the washer has a dryer stacked on it and is in a closet... you've made the job a LOT more aggravating...

not to pick on whirlpool, but as an example of a strictly aesthetic choice that complicates repair in the washer below their is a plastic ring that runs around the door and then covers part of the control panel... as far as I've been able to determine the only purpose this part serves is to look clean, cover the hinge, and to break when you try to remove it from the machine.. which you must do to take the control panel off...

looking at stoves their are a bunch that moved the control panel from the back to the front above the oven door, this lets the oven sit flush with the countertop... however as the door seals and hinges wear on the oven it lets more and more heat leak up through the board and I've seen plenty that I think failed prematurely because of this... admittedly their are cases where having the controls on the front make them easier for people to reach.

I've seen plenty of topload washers where one of the selling points was the glass lid... I've also seen many washers that wouldn't run because the glass lid is held by plastic supports and when these crack the lid doesn't line up right and causes lid switch errors.... an all metal lid wouldn't look as nice, but also wouldn't break...

and if your in charge of features can I recommend that you make the function as clear as possible?... I think every tech on here can tell you plenty of stories about going out on calls because the consumer doesn't understand the extra functions on an appliance and then thinks it's broken....   for example I have had many calls on dryers where the customer says they turn themselves on... usually they have accidentally turned on the wrinkle prevent cycle and didn't realize it or didn't know what it did..... or you get calls saying an appliance won't start and the buttons don't work... often the child lock was accidentally turned on and the only indication is an led for some other feature that has a small picture of a lock by it that blinks when you push a button... if you've seen it before you know what it is.. but if your the average homeowner and your stressed because your kid messed with the dishwasher and now it won't work and the dishes are stacking up then your likely not going to notice the tiny lock light....

poor aesthetic choices, badly illustrated features and gimicky selling points that are failure prone generate tons of repair calls that cost both consumers and manufacturers a lot of money....

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 05:41:51 AM »
Very good post afterblast. I'm sure we've all been on calls where the appliance looks sleek and stylish but you have no clue how to take it apart ...

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 04:57:03 AM »
The survey is a waste of time.  It's basically asking your views of your life in America in the first page.  The second page ask how you remember your refrigerator, laundry room and happy memories made in the kitchen. 

The survey doesn't ask technician how an appliance should be made.  We don't matter.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline go400

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 04:07:14 AM »
For me, maintainability, useabilaty and reliability are important. Whirlpool has produced some hard to fix items while GE has done a better job.
 When I was in the military, there was a push to make complex systems organized so functions are dedicated to discrete parts. It should not take the
 replacement of 6 pc boards to fix one failure in an lru!

Last I seen the cat was when the appliance guy was here.....

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 3605
Last post October 10, 2007, 03:05:09 PM
by maypo52
Kitchen appliance recommendations

Started by maypo52

Replies: 9
Views: 6073
Last post January 31, 2014, 10:13:00 PM
by afterblast
Appliance manufacturers company logos