365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: OK Sealed system work  (Read 264 times)

Offline falcon1235

• Technician
OK Sealed system work
« on: June 14, 2014, 12:10:32 PM »
I am picking up all my tooling to do sealed system work what tools do i really need to make life easier?  whats good and wants crap in your opinion.
Dustin
All Island Appliance Repair

Offline falcon1235

• Technician
Re: OK Sealed system work
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 12:22:25 PM »
Refrigerant Recovery Unit
Tubing Bender
Purge Tube Adapters
Electronic Leak Detector
Refrigerant Scale
Refrigerant Access Hoses
Tubing Cutter
Swaging Tools
Bubble Leak Detector
Temporary Access Pliers
Shrader Removal Tool
Brazing torch

this is my list so far anything you guys would add?
Dustin

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 12:25:22 PM »
Vacuum pump & micron meter.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 12:51:39 PM »
What's with no vacuum pump on your list, are you sweep charging?  Better add a tank of dry nitrogen.

Offline falcon1235

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 06:07:45 PM »
im new to the field and have no formal training but i was under the impression that if i got a recovery unit like a yellowjacket Recovery Xry x like this i could use the vacuum pump in it to do the same job or should i have a separate pump ?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 06:08:12 PM by falcon1235 »
Dustin

Offline afterblast

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 09:43:24 PM »
a recovery machine like that will pull refrigerant from the system but will not go into a deep enough vacuum to properly clear out a system before you charge it.

also depending on where your at you may need certification, like an epa 608.

also I'd recommend picking up a few heat shields, your going to be brazing in tight quarters and you want to be very proactive in protecting water lines/fridge liners/ anything you don't want to accidentally melt...

one other thing I'd consider adding would be a few sizes of vice grip pliers, I've found they can be a great "extra hand" to help support small bits of tubing or filter dryers leaving your hands free to handle the torch and braze.. also a long handled set of pliers is great if your heating a joint to pull it apart...

if your going to be working on sub zeros or built in units then your going to want to invest in a good sturdy step ladder... the more rock solid the better and I've found the ones with a platform at the top (as opposed to the more traditional looking ladders) usually make those jobs a bit easier. also if you cut up a pool noodle and tape it to the front of the ladder you don't have to worry about accidentally scratching someones stainless steel fridge...

also I keep a few 2x4 foot rubber mats (I believe they're normally sold as toolbox liners) and a skid mat...    I usually put the skid mat under where I'm working, just so if a bit of braze or small bit of tube drops it melts the mat and not the hardwood floor I'm usually sitting on... I've found that since your going to be bringing in tanks, scales, recovery machines, a vacuum pump, torches, and at least one toolbox plus parts having the mats to set all that on usually eases a customers mind and prevents any accidental scrapes or scratches....

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 02:09:46 AM »
Check out the checklist,   then check out afterblast's very good post.    I have my certification,   I have most of the tools,   but ......................... I don't do sealed system work anymore.      Why ..... (we've discussed this before)   But before I tell you these,  If you have no formal training you will find sealed system has many pitfalls to deal with.     I went to school for 3 years to learn all this,  plus many years of experience.    It's not something you want to just go in and wing.     Plus you need license and certifications.   

First,  Time consuming.      In time you do a sealed system job,   you could do several easier, smaller jobs and make same money or more.     Less headache.

Second,  if there is a problem,   it's not like you have to go back and replace a bad thermostat.   Try re-doing a sealed system job gone bad.     

Third,    Too many tools.   Too many items to carry in.   Too much work.     And how many of these jobs are you gonna get?     If your a 1 man company like Me and alot of the guys on this board,    believe me it's not worth the time and effort.   Plus you lose alot of other jobs because in the end you only have so much time in a week.      If you are part of a big company and do warranty work,  you may have to have someone doing sealed system.    Those are the only guys that do it by me,   the Big companies with lots of techs.     
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline falcon1235

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 12:35:15 PM »
I just read the hole spec sheet on the recovery unit and you are very right it will only pull about 13" of vacuum thank you for pointing me in the right direction on that. As far as avoiding sealed system work i plan on going to school to get training on refrigeration. I am going to be doing warranty work Because my better half work manages an appliance store and we are buying the store from the current owner so it is inevitable that i will have to do some sealed system work but there is also a shortage of commercial refrigeration servicers in my area so i will need the tools any way.  :thanks:
Dustin

Offline falcon1235

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 12:00:15 AM »
Dustin

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 03:16:39 PM »
Fire extinguisher would be on my list also.

The Sealed System

Started by rickgburton

Replies: 0
Views: 87
Last post May 11, 2012, 07:16:58 PM
by rickgburton
Playing with a sealed system

Started by PARTech

Replies: 2
Views: 90
Last post December 19, 2010, 09:22:47 AM
by PARTech
MOVED: Clear a blockage in evaporator without doing a sealed system(Refrigerator)

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 23
Last post April 25, 2014, 10:02:04 PM
by AJ
All work and no play makes for dull times. Lets party!!!!

Started by JWWebster

Replies: 4
Views: 66
Last post February 28, 2008, 07:51:44 AM
by Repair-man
New Service Manual Download System.

Started by AJ

Replies: 14
Views: 162
Last post March 17, 2008, 06:37:56 PM
by AJ
What brands do you service the most - warranty work?

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 104
Last post April 03, 2008, 08:59:47 PM
by BrntToast