Author Topic: Disconnect power to force cycle a Whirlpool icemaker?  (Read 2579 times)

Offline jaxmc1023

• VIP Member
Disconnect power to force cycle a Whirlpool icemaker?
« on: June 10, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
Our Whirlpool refrigerator (WSF26C2EXY) stopped making ice last week.  It is in the Whirlpool model with the maker and bin both in the side door.

I removed the bin and the cover for the icemaker, and noticed that the plastic "fill chute" that dumps water into the ice maker was clogged with ice.  After using a hairdryer to thaw it out, the icemaker seems to be stuck in a state of doing nothing. 

Because I had the door open long enough to thaw this out, I assumed that the ambient temp in the freezer was too high to make ice.  However, after sitting overnight, it still doesn't appear to be trying to go through a cycle.

1.  How long does it normally take to lower the temp in the freezer enough to trigger the icemaker thermostat?
2.  Does unplugging the power cord from the ice maker, and plugging it back in, force the icemaker to attempt to run through a cycle?

If the power on/off won't work, I don't want to even try it because it will set me back again on lowering the freezer temp back to normal..

Thanks for any replies!

Offline jaxmc1023

• VIP Member
Re: Disconnect power to force cycle a Whirlpool icemaker?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 09:42:57 AM »
In addition to previous ice maker issues, we have noticed a small puddle of water on the floor under the freezer-side door. 

Because this puddle keeps reappearing, I'm assuming it's related to the defrost cycle, and the defrost drain may be plugged.  Would this issue also be affecting the ice maker? 

The fill tube on the ice maker appears to be icing over again, so I know that SOME water is getting to the icemaker. 

Offline keithvibe

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 05:06:07 PM »
if you have a frozen fill tube you have what I call a weeping water valve. The valve doesn't close completely causing the water to fill the cup and freeze over time.
The water on the floor could be a split fill tube  when the ice maker called for a fill. or could be the ice maker over filling and flowing out on the floor.
First thing you need to do is replace the water valve. Second defrost the fill line.

Offline jaxmc1023

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 07:28:10 AM »
Makes sense..  we "turned off" the ice maker (flipped the switch inside the door that covers the infrared level sensor), and no more water on floor this morning. 

On another note, is it safe to pour hot water back down the fill tube?  In our model, the tube runs up through the door by the hinge, and then drops into the icemaker in a plastic chute.  I'd like to put some warm water in there and see if it pours all over the floor at the bottom of the fridge, possibly meaning a cracked/split tube somewhere..

Offline jaxmc1023

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 07:45:16 AM »
Well my father-in-law decided he was Mr. Fixit while I had run out to the store..  We pulled the unit away from the wall, and blew air through the icemaker fill line.  You could hear and feel air coming through the fill chute in the door, so assuming not frozen and no blockage.

When allowed to cycle normally, the ejector arms would make a full rotation, and then the icemaker would call for water.  You could hear the solenoid valve open, and could even hear water as it attempted to fill.  It sounded like it would make it approximately to the two quick-connectors at the bottom of the door near the FRONT of the unit, and then a noticeable sound like the water was trickling back down the fill tube.  It would not reach the icemaker.

Of course -- all of this is probably moot now anyway, as Mr. Fixit decided to use a jumper and start probing test ports.  He inserted the wire into L and T.  There was a noticeable spark, burned jumper wire, and now NONE of the test ports work.  Ice maker does nothing.  Any ideas on what he did?  hoping he didn't backfeed voltage into some electrical components in the back of the fridge.....  (everything else works -- lights, water dispenser, etc.)

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 08:54:35 AM »
Yeah he put line voltage to neutral as you can see in the attactment.

Offline jaxmc1023

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 09:01:05 AM »
Toasted the control module?  The motor?  Something worse in the main unit controls?

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 09:07:14 AM »
Thats the million dollar question.I don,t know.Whole ice maker is pricey and other damage could of been done.Sometimes you have to fix one problem to find you have another.

Offline dab147315

• Technician

Offline jaxmc1023

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 12:25:44 PM »
I replaced icemaker.  Let it sit for 24 hours, and still nothing.  No movement or cycling -- tried using jumper wire for L&V to engage water valve, but nothing happened.

Offline dab147315

• Technician

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 06:16:09 PM »
On the harness for the water valve do you see a diode inline?Look at diagram.Or harness.This could be bad.

Video: Whirlpool In-Door Ice Maker Fill Cycle

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 9529
Last post September 23, 2008, 05:37:19 PM
by Al Capone
Whirlpool refrigerator Nbr: GS6SHAXML00 Icemaker doesn't work.

Started by tech718

Replies: 6
Views: 9472
Last post October 02, 2007, 06:46:44 AM
by AJ
Whirlpool icemaker floods freezer

Started by adstocksdale

Replies: 7
Views: 11997
Last post September 08, 2008, 10:18:03 AM
by JWWebster
4317943 Whirlpool Replacement Icemaker Kit