Author Topic: Recommended hands-on training?  (Read 1585 times)

Offline bearhawk

• Technician
  • Integrity Repair Services LLC
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Recommended hands-on training?
« on: June 02, 2014, 09:35:45 PM »
I have a background as an aviation mechanic (with strong electrical troubleshooting skills), an avionics tech, and now work for the power company as an engineer drawing schematics among a lot of other things.  I taught a basic electricity course (both AC & DC) at an aviation mechanic school.  I have started my own repair service company just a couple of weeks ago and have worked on a few whirlpool washers/dryers (gas & electric), and GE dryers.

I'm thinking of taking a full blown course to be better rounded.  I have visited Fred's Appliance Academy in Ohio and have researched Uncle Harry's stuff.  Both have more than doubled in price in just the past couple of years making them expensive compared to what they were. 

Do any of you have experience with either course? 

My observations (which may be skewed) seem to be Fred's gives more in depth technical training (3 solid weeks) but much less business training (because companies that send their techs there don't want their techs to start their own repair business), while Uncle Harry's course seems to give you some technical (some say a bit dated) plus a lot more training about running your business like pricing, advertising, web presence, etc. 

Anyone with experience with either training program? 

Any recommendations?

Any other ideas? 

I've heard bad things about Penn Foster but maybe someone really liked them.  Chime in.

If you don't want to post here, please PM me.  I can also give you my phone number in a PM if you'd be willing to chat about your training experiences.

If this should be in the Pro's forum, I wasn't sure where to put it.  Please move to the correct forum if that's the case.

Thanks,
JD
Owner of Integrity Repair Services LLC
269-447-3967

Offline bagjr387

• Technician
Re: Recommended hands-on training?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 10:01:07 PM »
I did Fred's a little while back....He did go into detail with how he started his business, how he runs it, computer programs, routing, and how he has essentially eliminated having any parts inventory/parts employees. He also did a 2 hour session outside of the normal class time totally dedicated to the students who were interested in starting a repair business, along with a visitor from marcone...I thought his class was excellent but I have no other classroom experience to compare it too.

Oh and lunch is included during class days...and his flats(housing) are pretty nice....better than I thought they were going to be
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:03:34 PM by bagjr387 »

Bosch Spring Training 2008

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 5
Views: 3479
Last post March 29, 2008, 04:28:52 PM
by Repair-man
Asko Spring Training

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 7
Views: 3549
Last post May 09, 2008, 09:48:58 PM