Author Topic: Maytag de306 front panel removal - how to ?  (Read 2064 times)

Offline idler

• VIP Member
Maytag de306 front panel removal - how to ?
« on: May 29, 2014, 12:43:44 PM »
I have a Maytag DE306 dryer.  It is 44 years old - but still works just fine. 
I need to replace the felt seal; I think it is responsible for a faint burning odor; it crumbles and falls onto the heating element.
In order to do so, I need to remove the front panel ... but have forgotten how to remove it to gain access to the felt seal (it was 20 years ago when I did it last ).
In searching for how to remove this panel, the advice I have seen posted is to remove two screws on the bottom fold of the front panel.  My version doesn't have these screws, and I wonder if this means I have to disassemble the whole dryer: back panel, top, side panels etc. to get to the front panel attachments or if there is a magic trick that would give me direct access without the wrestle.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Maytag de306 front panel removal - how to ?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 01:51:31 PM »
You have to remove the whole cabinet.First remove the rear panel,then remove the side Phillip screws on both sides of  the cabinet. I usually just slide the cabinet a bit off the frame (6 inches should work) and reach thru the door opening or the top.That way you don't have to remove any wires.

Offline idler

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 04:39:38 PM »
thanks very much ... not so simple as I'd hoped, but good to know exactly what to do and save a lot of monkeying around.
Is it correct that the "cabinet" consists of the top, sides and front; and the drum, motor, etc. stays with the frame ?
Also, shortly after the last time I replaced this felt seal, I happened to talk with a repair tech who said that the felt seal wasn't really needed, ended up being more of a nuisance than a help, and that he usually just scraped off the remnants , cleaned it up and put it back together.  What's your experience: is the felt seal actually useful / necessary ?
thanks...

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 08:10:24 PM »
I say if you check your pockets good for ANYTHING left in them and remove them ignore the seal. If you have kids doing laundry you may want to install it.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 08:13:19 PM »
Without the felt seal there is a pretty good gap between the drum and the front of the cabinet. Anything metallic left in the pockets can fall through the gap and land on the element, shorting it to ground.

Offline idler

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 05:31:13 PM »
I followed theoldstoveguy's advice, and removed the crumbled and charred remnants of the felt seal - which was no longer adhered to the metal and just fell off.
I would add to theoldstoveguy's advice to put scraps of wood between the cabinet walls and the floor so that the cabinet doesn't fall - I know it's only an inch or so, but a bit awkward to get the last side screws out and a bit heavy for an old guy to lift back up when the time came to reassemble.  Also the top is attached to the cabinet walls so the only place to work through is the door opening, not the top - which was more than adequate.

Considering that the felt seal had probably been non-functional - just a shriveled imitation of its former self - for, who can say, maybe 10 years or so, I decided to go without. 
I do appreciate the advice about coins and other stuff that doesn't belong and will be more careful than ever to be sure to check pockets etc.

No real testing performed yet, but I'm hopeful the burning odor will be history.

Thanks theoldstoveguy and Bailey for the advice .

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 06:47:58 PM »
If you have to do it again the top is held on by 2 screws in the rear, then slide forward and it will unhook and lift up. Just watch the wires and you should be good to go. If I had a dollar for everyone I've done I could have a nice vacation.

Offline idler

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 08:13:05 PM »
Thanks, good to know ;  I'll put a note in my appliance file to remind me next time.

Maytag gas dryer won't heat up unless bottom front panel is removed

Started by ah3000bj8

Replies: 16
Views: 7567
Last post January 26, 2009, 01:44:24 PM
by ah3000bj8
16023110 Maytag Sloped Front Dryer Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 5151
Last post October 12, 2008, 12:18:00 PM
by AJ