Author Topic: caution  (Read 2257 times)

Offline go400

• Technician
caution
« on: June 21, 2014, 07:54:37 AM »
I must have re-soldered a few dozen Frigidaire stove erc's, but the latest one did not go so good. When I soldered the main power terminal, I left a little sliver of solder
 aimed toward the ribbon track connected to the internal dc supply which is right next to the 240 volt terminal.
 When I plugged in the stove, the 240 volts arced over to the ribbon and blew open all the power supply bridge diodes and shorted the supply components.
 The transformer started to overheat so I had to remove power from it. Luckily, I had a used module to replace it. I fessed up to the customer and he appreciated it.
 It could have been much worse if the module was no longer available!

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
Re: caution
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 12:02:43 PM »
I bet that was a site to see
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 12:40:20 PM »
Whoa. I would have freaked out a little.
LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline Maintech

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 07:55:30 PM »
yesterday last call of the day. I was there to put in the thermostat and new surface coils harness on a older Electrolux stove. It is a pain to replace the whole harness on those coil elements and not sure why previous tech ordered them since I know he carries a full set of replacement connectors just like I do. anyway I get the new thermostat on and the coils all hooked up plug in the stove and start turning on the surface coils left to right like I always do, turn on first one let it start heating turn on 2nd one and fire shot out and lights went off. customer about crapped herself.  Hmm time to open her back up, turns out the previous tech when futzing around testing the thermostat due to the very tight wiring and space either accidently of purposely pulled the  daisy chained l1 and l2 connections off the LF and LR infinite switches only problem was got them crossed when he put them back on so black was on L1 on the LR and L2 on the LF so that when I turned them both on at the same time got a dead short across the switches luckily it only trashed the 2 switches picked up 2 new switches today and got the left side of her stove going

Offline go400

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 03:27:58 AM »
I never had any smoke or fire, just blowout silently. Mine was an arc and no solid connection, but if there are any electronic tech's here, they would appreciate
 the horror and desolation caused by even a short period of 240 vac applied to any low voltage circuit including low voltage, polar, electrolytic capacitors and semiconductors.

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 11:34:42 AM »
my last customer of yesterday was a cute lady.  She was asking me about my work, etc. and we were chatting.

Unfortunately, I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and reversed two wires on the infinite switch.  Had an occurence very similar to Maintech's.

Boom.

Sigh.

Note to self: Think with your main head!