Author Topic: How do I achieve fridge temperature in my freezer for a fridge/freezer Frigidair  (Read 1182 times)

Offline HomebrewerMN

• VIP Member
I am revamping our garage Fridge which is a Fridgidaire Model No. FRT15B3AW9 and converting it into a two tap kegerator. Because the model is small I would like to mount the taps at chest height which would place them in the freezer. The only problem is, as you know, the temperature. How do I create fridge temperature inside the freezer? Below I have pictures for you to view. My plan is to bring the beer lines up the inside of the fridge by drilling a hole into the freezer from the fridge. Any suggestions as to how this could work? I have not saw a single explanation to this issue online. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Interesting project.  Try completely blocking the vents in the freezer and see what temperature you get. If it's still too cold, cover the back panel with spray foam or fiberglass insulation. If it's too warm, uncover a little bit of vent at a time until you get the temperature you want.  You'll want to uncover the same amount of incoming and return vent. You could also cut holes in the divider but that might cause bad airflow and temperature variation. Not to mention, you might cut through a refrigeration line.

Online go400

• Technician
This method will waist a lot of energy, best to mount a ambient controller, if possible, GC505

Online go400

• Technician
The factory part no. is 3030-505. Currently not in stock at my parts house, have to be backordered.

Offline HomebrewerMN

• VIP Member
The factory part no. is 3030-505. Currently not in stock at my parts house, have to be backordered.

Would this be the part I am looking for? http://www.patriot-supply.com/products/showitem.cfm/ROBERTSHAW_3030_505

Installing the part above would give me fridge temps in the Freezer and Fridge? Will I need to drill or cut any holes in the bottom of the freezer besides the holes I plan to drill to bring the beer lines up to the taps?

Also am I a lot better off with the part above versus something like this?: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015NV5BE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=DRSYQP7POLO&coliid=I2797VM0USNNP3

Thank you so much for your help! My wife is already glaring at me over this project. But in my defense I am tired of the beer bottles. I want the taps mounted where the red magnets are located. The plan is to paint the fridge with a chalkboard paint in a chocolate brown color. This is the only way I can bring the fridge into the house. Hehe! I feel like a little kid. :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:55:50 AM by HomebrewerMN »

Online go400

• Technician
The Ranco control seems ok, got good reviews

Offline HomebrewerMN

• VIP Member
So how would I coach an electrician on how to install this bad boy?

Online go400

• Technician
Just mount the control near the freezer vent so you can route the sensing tube into the freezer.
 Also, you will need to enlarge the upper vent to try and equalize the fridg and freezer temperatures

Offline HomebrewerMN

• VIP Member
Just mount the control near the freezer vent so you can route the sensing tube into the freezer.
 Also, you will need to enlarge the upper vent to try and equalize the fridg and freezer temperatures

How would you suggest enlarging the upper vent? Is there anything I should look out for in regards to the vent such as cooling lines?

Offline Bailey

• Technician
Why couldn't you just drill a small hole in the divider and run the end of the thermostat into the freezer compartment?

Offline HomebrewerMN

• VIP Member
Why couldn't you just drill a small hole in the divider and run the end of the thermostat into the freezer compartment?
Just to be clear this will create the same temperature as the Fridge in the Freezer?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:54:10 PM by HomebrewerMN »

Online go400

• Technician
I didn't check, but you probably have a thermostatically controlled damper door. If so, just remove the damper, will probably be sufficient
for temperature equalization.

Offline Wilson13

• Technician
  • 20+ years appliance service tech,owner from 2002
as long as the two compartments are separated by the freezer floor it wont matter what control you use, either the freezer will be too cold or the fresh food section wont be cold enough. I realize the controls are mounted to the ceiling of the fresh food but completely removing the divider floor is your best and cheapest option, creating ONE space, reroute wiring too the controls and mount on the wall, run the cap tube from the cold control up close to the evaporator, leave the back wall of the freezer intact and in place. You may have to move the capillary tube around and adjust control until you get desired temp 34-37 degrees. good luck..

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair

Would this be the part I am looking for? http://www.patriot-supply.com/products/showitem.cfm/ROBERTSHAW_3030_505

Installing the part above would give me fridge temps in the Freezer and Fridge? Will I need to drill or cut any holes in the bottom of the freezer besides the holes I plan to drill to bring the beer lines up to the taps?

Also am I a lot better off with the part above versus something like this?: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015NV5BE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=DRSYQP7POLO&coliid=I2797VM0USNNP3

Thank you so much for your help! My wife is already glaring at me over this project. But in my defense I am tired of the beer bottles. I want the taps mounted where the red magnets are located. The plan is to paint the fridge with a chalkboard paint in a chocolate brown color. This is the only way I can bring the fridge into the house. Hehe! I feel like a little kid. :)

Our parts affiliate has it in stock.
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/pro-super-fit-r-tj26238-ap5634386.html
Hope you find our site helpful.

Online go400

• Technician
You are probably right Willson13, you need to rout about 3x more air to the fridg section than the freezer. This may not be easy to do.

CROSLEY FRIDGE FREEZER NOT COOLING

Started by flair

Replies: 9
Views: 7849
Last post October 15, 2009, 08:02:50 PM
by JWWebster
ice build up in freezer fridge air baffle

Started by pallanesfour

Replies: 3
Views: 2295
Last post March 05, 2009, 06:49:50 AM
by RegUS_PatOff