Author Topic: Need answers to some specific questions please  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Dryernoob101

• VIP Member
Need answers to some specific questions please
« on: May 21, 2014, 07:09:07 AM »
Hello,

I am new to the forum. I recently became amazed by how my washer/drier combo has lasted all these years without maintenance. I have had this machine since I purchased my house years ago and have been using it for years without doing anything to it besides the common sense basics.

First of all, I am curious to know what year it was produced. It's a maytag sg1000 series 1 with a serial of 604335 RA. It says heavy duty on it and computer touch control.

Second question is something that has me a bit worried. Does my model contain a asbestos belt or asbestos products in it? I read an article about old dryers and washing machines and it seems some did contain it. Could somebody please verify if my model would or would not contain asbestos products in it?

Thank you in advance for your help. Best regards.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:10:25 AM by Dryernoob101 »

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Need answers to some specific questions please
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 07:37:00 AM »
January of 1986 and no,as far as I know it is too new to have any asbestos in it. Keep that machine as long as you can,nothing built as well as that one now.

Offline Dryernoob101

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 02:04:31 PM »
Thank you so much for the response. Are there any maintenance issues I should address or should I leave it be since it works perfectly.

Also, do you have any idea when approximately the cutoff was for asbestos related belts/etc in washing/drying machines? Just curious so I know for future reference.

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 08:28:39 PM »
I have never seen them in belts and I have been doing this for 35+ years. I can't ever remember seeing asbestos in any washer or dryer either. The only place I do know was used was in ranges and I haven't seen any in any product made in the 1960's or newer either. Asbestos is not a hazard as long as it is not disturbed and I see a lot of it in the 1930's 40's and 50' gas ranges. As long as you leave it alone and don't brush it or something you should be OK.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 02:07:23 AM »
Having done heating and cooling in the past,  I have had some issues with asbestos.    They used to coat the old furnace pipes with it.     As long as it was wet down and not airborne,   you can't breath it in.    That being said,   I agree with old stove.   I have been at this 41 years,   and don't remember any asbestos in any washer in recent history.    I wouldn't worry about it in the least.    And I also agree,  keep that machine.    Good unit.    I recently fixed one for a lady,  the lid switch needed adjustment.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 12:57:54 PM »
As for maintenance, remove that lower front panel on the dryer and vacuum it out.

Don't email us your appliance repair questions, post your questions in the forum

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3906
Last post December 27, 2008, 03:30:48 PM
by AJ
Got it fixed without having to ask us any questions in our forum?

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 1808
Last post September 17, 2011, 05:05:45 PM
by AJ