Author Topic: KitchenAid ice maker not working  (Read 803 times)

Offline cjccmc

• VIP Member
KitchenAid ice maker not working
« on: May 17, 2014, 08:41:37 PM »
I have KitchenAid KSCS25INSS01 model that uses the Whirlpool 4389102 IR boards.  No ice being made for several days. When I open the freezer door the red light on the right side blinks. To check the IR  I open the door and press all the switches to make it think the door is shut, but the red light on the right side is off totally, not even a blink. 
From what Iíve read this means bad IR boards so I did the paper clip jumper thing. Nothing happens in 30 minutes. Only difference is that one of my wires is Blu/yellow instead of the black color, but I have the jumper in slots 3 & 4 from the bottom (red).  Should that do the trick?  If so Iím really stumped, I thought getting no red light when I press the IR flapper and door trigger switch for sure means the IR is bad, but now if the jumper does not make the system work what could be the problem?
Looks to me that there is some ice in the mold but itís not getting pushed out.  What should I check next?
BTW, I could not get any videos to run by clicking on them. Is there a trick here?
Thanks!

Offline cjccmc

• VIP Member
Re: KitchenAid ice maker not working
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 06:15:39 AM »
Since my original post, I removed the ice maker and plan to replace it since coating on mold was deteriorated.

Now with it removed I open the freezer door, push down the flapper over the IR beam, and get 2 quick blinks, a pause, 2 blinks again. No steady glow of LED on right side. (This done without holding down door switch so interior freezer light is on). This means I need a new set of IR boards, correct?

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 10:36:54 AM »
I think replacing your icemaker will fix it.  You ruled out the boards being a problem when you bypassed it with the jumper.  I've found the I/R boards to be very reliable.  I've only replaced six, the last one I had on my truck for three years so I quit stocking it.

Offline cjccmc

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 12:02:10 PM »
I think replacing your icemaker will fix it.  You ruled out the boards being a problem when you bypassed it with the jumper.  I've found the I/R boards to be very reliable.  I've only replaced six, the last one I had on my truck for three years so I quit stocking it.
I hope you are correct, I'd like to avoid the $60 cost of those parts.  But that would mean that the "test" I read about, checking for the glowing red LED with door open and flapper held down, is invalid.  Is that the case?

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 08:04:31 PM »
I never use the onboard diagnostics, so I don't know.  I seem to remember there was a change from earlier models. The most common problem I see on these, is a broken tab where the gear mounts.  If you can pull the white gear off easily, it's broken.

Offline cjccmc

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 03:45:22 PM »
Tgoods your prediction was spot on.  I replaced the icemaker and alls well, making ice and stopping when the bin is full.  Not sure why all I read about blinking LED means bad IR boards is wrong in the case of my fridge.

We were getting some nasty tasting ice a few months before the icemaker went out.  Turns out that the mold was corroded and one location on the heating element completely deteriorated.

When I installed the OEM replacement, the cup was much taller than the original unit and I opted to trim the rubber water hose piece coming out of the ceiling of the freezer. Working ok with that fix, I didn't know if I could just pull out that hose stub and reinsert after the maker was in final place so trimmed off about .50 inches.

Just curious, how do pro installers handle that type of interference problem?

Video: See if your Whirlpool Ice maker infrared optics control is working.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 41764
Last post August 01, 2007, 12:21:37 PM
by AJ
No water from dispenser-ice maker working-replaced valve inlet

Started by Evan

Replies: 2
Views: 3571
Last post August 18, 2007, 05:17:53 PM
by Evan
Kitchenaid icemaker not working