Author Topic: Frigidaire LGHB2869LF3 French Door Ice Maker - Not cold, No ice  (Read 1035 times)

Offline noboost4you

• VIP Member
We've been having issues recently with the ice maker in the fresh food section of the refrigerator, Frigidaire LGHB2869LF3, not producing ice. I have referenced the Frigidaire Service Tech Hand Book regarding error codes (http://appliance911s...ode_Booklet.pdf) and have tested all successfully except 62C - Electronic Expansion Valve (EEV) Test (p. 8-4 of aforementioned PDF). The test failed, and unfortunately, this is where my servicing skills have ended. I'm not sure where the Th3 thermistor is located. According to this schematic, http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/R1011150-00008.png, it's part #22. Based on the exploded section of the drawing, I'm assuming it's not near the actual ice maker.

Would this "failed" thermistor A) cause the ice maker to be the same temperature as the fresh food, and B) be the reason for not producing ice? Where is this thermistor located?

Any help would be appreciated. The refrigerator is less than 3 years old, but based on my research, it's a common occurrence.

Regards,
Bryan

Offline ldkraemer

• VIP Member
Re: Frigidaire LGHB2869LF3 French Door Ice Maker - Not cold, No ice
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 06:39:39 AM »
The Thermistor TH3 is located on the underneath side of the suction line, in the very back of the Ice Maker (IM) on Evaporator Coil
Suction Line.

Test 52C: TH3 Status
(See Flow Chart Test #52C)
The current Thermistor 3 status (suction line thermistor) is saved by the ice maker and displayed on Freezer
display when the test is started. A “1” and icon “good” will be displayed if TH3 value is O.K.: “OP” will be
displayed for TH1 open and “SH” for TH1 in short circuit condition.

There is a Temperature Resistance Chart For Negative Temperature Coefficient Thermistors, so you can VERIFY the OHM
value of the Thermistor for the current temperature of the Bottom of the Suction Line of the IM Evaporator.

The Photo's are from the Service manual.

I've posted some tips from a slightly different model, with a different IM at:
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=14440.0

It might be a good read for you, as it explains why the NO ICE conditions......PERIOD, and things you can check easily.

Larry

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 06:40:30 AM by ldkraemer »

Offline noboost4you

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 06:52:52 AM »
Thank you, Larry, very informative. I had ran the 52C test and it did come back with 1. That in itself confused me as 62C is coming back as failed. In my first post, I stated the temperature in the ice maker is the same as the fresh food section. This was incorrect. The temperature, for whatever reason, is up around 57*F whereas fresh food is holding strong at 37*F. The bottom freezer is sitting at 0*F. Could a failed thermistor be causing these symptoms? Like I mentioned, I went through all the tests and everything, aside from 62C, returns normal.

Regards,
Bryan

Offline ldkraemer

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 07:09:02 AM »
I've tried to modify the previous posting a bit, but the time limit has expired.

I've posted some tips from a slightly different model, with a different IM at:
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=14440.0

It might be a good read for you, as it explains why the NO ICE conditions......PERIOD, and things you can check easily.
After rolling the Unit out, and cleaning the coils from the back panel, I'd suggest accessing the diagnostic menu and checking
the ACTUAL Refrigerator & Freezer Temperatures (must be within +- ~4 Degrees from SETPOINT, before proceeding.

Next, I'd check the Ice Maker (IM) Evaporator fan.  It also has to be running.....PERIOD!  If it isn't Frost Free and able to run, you
will have to somehow Defrost it.

Test 57C: Evaporator Fan Test
(See Flow Chart Test #57C)
To start this interactive test, touch the ON/OFF key to activate the fan. Touching the ON/OFF key again will
turn the fan Off. The Freezer display shows current state of the fan “on” or “OFF”.

No Ice Conditions

To diagnosis a no ice condition, follow the steps in section 6 “Ice Bin Housing Removal”.  This will allow access to determine
the condition of the ice mold, and the following flow charts can be used to assist in diagnosis.
Flow Chart No Ice #1- Mold in Freeze position (Left) and frozen solid.
NOTE: At the start of Flow Chart 1 it will ask you to check test 48C (Freezer recovery Mode) if you get a “1” in the freezer temp
window the product is not in recovery mode and you should proceed through flow chart #2 to #6 listed below.  If the freezer temp
window is displaying a “Fr” the product is in freezer recovery mode. In recovery mode the EEV valve is only open enough to maintain a
cold enough temperature in the ice maker compartment to prevent the ice from melting.  The control system is diverting the bulk of the
refrigerant to the freezer evaporator the pull the product temperature down to the set temperature. The product can go into recovery mode
for a number of reasons.
1.  Freezer door is not sealing all the way around.
2.  Freezer evaporator is not defrosting.
3.  Evaporator fan motor is not running.
4.  There is a problem in the sealed system,
       a.Low charge
       b.Inefficient compressor
       c.Partly restricted sealed system.
5.  There is a problem in the product control system.
(You will need to enter the product test mode to check the product control system see page 3-7.)
Flow Chart No Ice #2 - Mold in Freeze position (left) not frozen solid with water in mold.
Flow Chart No Ice #3 - Mold in Freeze position (left) no water or ice in mold.
Flow Chart No Ice #4 - Mold in fill position with ice cubes in mold.
Flow Chart No Ice #5 - Mold in Fill position with no water.
Flow Chart No Ice #6 - Mold in intermediate position.

Well, the Thermistor should read the temperature of the Bottom of the IM Evaporator Suction line.  If you put a digital Thermometer on the
Suction Line, the Thermistor should read the same.  You can also unplug it and read the OHM value, then convert that OHM value to the
Temperature via the chart.  The manual says it displays 1 & "good", but the only way to know for sure is to use the OHM value to convert
to a temperature.  It all depends on how much of a window their variation allows.  One would think the actual temperature would be
displayed on the User Interface (UI).

If the EEV is CLOSED the Refrigerant is sent directly to the Regular Freezer Evaporator, as the IM Evaporator is bypassed.  So the IM
Suction Line should be something close to the Fresh Food section of the Refrigerator.  It may be a bit higher, but not way out of line.

When you execute test 62C, does the TH3 temperature that is displayed on the UI drop by the 2 Degrees in the alloted time?

Test 62C: EEV Test
(See Flow Chart Test #62C)
Automated.
Touch the ON/OFF key to start the test. When waiting for the automated test result, the Fresh Food display will be flashing the test
ID and the Freezer display will be showing the TH3 current temperature.  (The ice maker controller will fully open the EEV and wait
120 seconds for the TH3 temperature to drop off a minimum 2°F).  After the delay, the test result is displayed on the Freezer
display as “P” for “Pass” or “F” for “Fail”.

I sent you a PM.

Larry
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 07:24:26 AM by ldkraemer »

Troubleshooting - Frigidaire FGHB2844LFE (French Door) Ice Maker

Started by ldkraemer

Replies: 2
Views: 1687
Last post May 14, 2014, 01:24:11 PM
by VOGUSLAVKY
Frigidaire- Ice maker & water dispensing from door randomly

Started by andersonjoy

Replies: 1