Author Topic: Troubleshooting - Frigidaire FGHB2844LFE (French Door) Ice Maker  (Read 1776 times)

Offline ldkraemer

• VIP Member
My Frigidaire FGHB2844LFE (French Door) Ice Maker has been on the fritz, and I've called a repairman twice in the four months
we have used this unit.  I've requested a Service manual for this unit and with AJ's help I've downloaded it and studied it until I have
an understanding of how the Ice Maker (Mine is Flex Tray) works. 

I'm going to try and make an orderly method of troubleshooting your unit with some logical order of testing, versus having to follow
those flow charts, which defy operational logic.

MODEL NUMBER:

The first thing to do is locate the Model Number.  Mine is FGHB2844LFE.
Next, Download the Service Manual, which includes the Electrical Schematic.

SERVICE MANUAL:
The Service Manual covers THREE different Ice Makers for this Refrigeration Unit.
      Fresh Food Compartment Ice Maker (Flex Tray)
      Fresh Food Compartment Ice Maker (Finger Evaporator)
      Freezer Ice Maker

Mine happens to be a Flex Tray type Ice Maker.

LONG HARVEST TIME:
It takes a LONG time for the Ice Maker (IM) to recover, as each tray takes a multitude of hours before another Harvest completes.

ACTUAL TEMPERATURES vs SETPOINTS:
The Freezer and Refrigerator Settings a typical user can access are SETPOINTS, and NOT a Temperature Display.
Actual Temperatures of Refrigerator and Freezer must be accessed by Diagnostic Menu Items #29 & #30.
(It would appear that a typical user would need to know the Refrigerator and Freezer Temperature on the Display, and that the
SETPOINTS for Refrigerator & Freezer would be Factory set in the Diagnostic Menu, since folks don't need to change them hourly,
daily, weekly, and otherwise have no clue as to actual Temperatures inside the unit.  A nice Digital Thermometer can also be used
to VERIFY actual Unit Refrigerator and Freezer Temperatures.)

TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS and things I learned about making Ice in the Top of a Refrigerator:

NOT MAKING ICE:
If the Ice Maker isn't making Ice, check the following:
1.  Select Water (vs Cube / Crushed) and see if Water can be dispensed.  If water is available at dispenser, and at IM, it should
      hopefully fill IM Tray with water.
2.  If the Actual Refrigerator & Freezer Temperatures are not within +-x (~4 Degrees) of a SETPOINT, it doesn't make Ice..PERIOD!
    To enter the service mode and VERIFY ACTUAL TEMPERATURES, press and hold the freezer up (∧) and down (∨) temperature
    pads simultaneously for up to ten (10) seconds.

Test 29: Fresh food thermistor
    Push ‘power on-off’ to change between F and C.  The display will show the actual temperature if the thermistor is good and “OP” or “SH” if the
    thermistor is open or shorted, respectively.

Test 30: Freezer thermistor
    Push ‘power on-off’ to change between F and C.  The display will show the actual temperature if the thermistor is good and “OP” or “SH” if
    the thermistor is open or shorted, respectively.

To Exit, Press and hold the fresh food up (∧) key for up to ten (10) seconds. The control will beep and service mode will deactivate.

3.  If the IM Fan isn't running, it doesn't make Ice..PERIOD!
    The first thing to do is open the Left French Door of the Refrigerator, take out the Ice Cube box, and look for a Frosted and Iced
    up IM Evaporator Fan.  The Ice Maker Box has a small Evaporator Coil in series with the Real Evaporator Coil, and the Ice Maker
    (IM) Fan must be operational.  There is also a Defrost Heater Coil, and a Temperature Switch that controls the Defrosting.
    If the fan is encased with ICE or FROST, it has to be Defrosted.  See Below.

To enter the service mode and VERIFY ACTUAL TEMPERATURES, press and hold the freezer up (∧) and down (∨) temperature
    pads simultaneously for up to ten (10) seconds.

Test 2: Defrost heater test.
    Push ‘power on-off’ and the heater will come on.
    Push ‘power on-off’ again and the heater will go off.

To Exit, Press and hold the fresh food up (∧) key for up to ten (10) seconds. The control will beep and service mode will deactivate.

Once the Fan and IM Evaporator Coils are defrosted run the following tests:
    To access the Ice Maker Service Diagnostic Mode, press and hold fresh food and freezer up (∧) simultaneously for up to ten (10) seconds.

To actuate an ice maker load of the selected test step (turn on or off), use ‘power on-off’ on the user interface.
    To step to the next ice maker sequential test, press fresh food (∧) or ‘+’ on the LCD screen. To step back to the previous ice maker
    sequential test, press fresh food (∨) or ‘–’ on the LCD screen. The selected test number will be displayed on the fresh food display.

Test 57C: Evaporator Fan Test
    To start this interactive test, touch ‘power on-off’ to activate the fan. Touching ‘power on-off’ again will turn the fan off.  The Freezer
    display shows current state of the fan “on” or “OFF”.

Test 52C: Ice maker Thermistor Test.
    The current Thermistor temperature is displayed on Freezer display when the test is started.  It will show the temperature at the ice
    maker if the thermistor is good.  A “OP” will be displayed for open and “SH” for in short circuit condition of the ice maker thermistor.

To exit service mode, press and hold fresh food (∧) for up to 10 seconds.

4.  If the IM Evaporator is FROZEN UP, it's a bitch to defrost,  but possible, without full disassembly.  No Clues in the Service Manual!
    (I used a Hair Dryer set to Medium Heat, and held it slightly inside the plastic housing for short periods of time to accelerate the defrosting.
    It took a long while, and be sure to not get the Plastic hot enough to melt anything.)

5.  If you disassemble the IM, you need the FGHB28 Service Flash Gasket Kit to properly repair the unit for re-assembly.

NOT DISPENSING ICE - but dispenses Water:
6.  If the Unit dispenses Water and Not Ice (Cube / Crushed), it's likely the Flapper Rod needs a slight kink.  That is because there is a relay race
    between the Output Signal going to the Flapper, and the Input Signal Generated by the Flapper Micro Switch.  By Bending a 10-15 Degree Kink
    in the Rod, Flapper opens, letting the Auger start rotating to dispense Ice.  See Attached Photo from another Forum (Thank You, Mine is FIXED!):

The Paddle MicroSwitch Signal, Flapper MicroSwitch Signal, and Flapper Solenoid can be tested by test numbers 28 & 36:

Test 28: Dispenser paddle test.
    Ensure the fresh food door is closed. Display will show “ON” when paddle is pressed; “OFF” when released.

Test 36: Ice door test; ice chute door micro-switch only.
    Displays “OP” when flapper is opened manually, by sticking finger up Dispenser Chute and Opening Flapper Manually.
    Also by, Ice door test; ice chute door solenoid & MicroSwitch by using 'power on-off'.

Push ‘power on-off’. Dispenser and the solenoid will activate. The Freezer display will show “OP” for Flapper.

7.  If the Auger is not turning:
    Test 10: Auger motor
    Push ‘power on-off’ to activate.  Auger runs with Left and Right fresh food doors closed. Push ‘power on-off’ again to deactivate.
    Also TEST the Auger Motor MicroSwitch by Pushing ‘power on-off’ to activate.  Auger stops when either fresh food door is opened.

Test Left and Right fresh food door:
    Test 23: Fresh food doors
    Freezer Display will show “OP” open when fresh food doors are open and “CL” when door is closed.

Test 24: Freezer door (See Flow Chart 5)
    Freezer Display will show “OP” open when Freezer door is open and “CL” when door is closed.

That has Completed all TESTS for the Ice & Water Module, except for the Ice Flapper Relay Coil (270 OHMS),
    the Flapper Solenoid 60 OHMS, the Ice Crush Solenoid (?? OHMS), Defrost Heater (?? OHMS), and actually
    running water into the IM.

Hopefully, this consolidated information will help you get your IM functional, by troubleshooting it in some logical order.

Larry
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:49:32 PM by ldkraemer »

Offline ApplianceGuru

• Technician
Just thank God above you don't have the "finger evaporator ice maker"

:-)
Appliance Heating & Air Tech

Online VOGUSLAVKY

• Technician
i have a friend on mine that work for frigidaire and he told me to run away from the finger evaporator ice maker...  ;D

French Door Frigidaire FGHB2844LFE - not dispense cubes or crushed ice

Started by ldkraemer

Replies: 1
Views: 1115
Last post May 13, 2014, 07:06:25 PM
by niobrara
Frigidaire LGHB2869LF3 French Door Ice Maker - Not cold, No ice

Started by noboost4you

Replies: 3
Views: 1077
Last post May 15, 2014, 07:09:02 AM
by ldkraemer