Author Topic: Brand new dryer has the same problem as the old one - please help!  (Read 3288 times)

Offline NJ Mom

• VIP Member
Ok, I desperately need some help.  I last posted about 4 weeks ago, complaining about a whirlpool thin twin dryer that would run about 20 minutes and then shut off.  I tried to troubleshoot it as best as I could, given my own limitations with appliances.  Anyhow, after I could not figure it out, I called the local appliance repairman. He came 2.5 hours late, did some tests, and told me (after starting it, checking the suction, checking the lint trap, and checking the heat) that it was fine.  \of course, he charged me $50 to diagnose it, and left.  It was running about 20 minutes, and again shut off.  I called him, and he told me (over the phone) that the motor was bad, and replacing the motor, with labor, would cost me $427.00.   

Now, I figured that it did not make any sense to replace a motor on a 14 year old machine, especially since I already had to replace the door switch to the washer last year, which cost me $150.00 (these are NYC metro rates, that's where I live).  I figured this was strike 2 on this unit, and it was only a matter of time before I had to replace it.  This unit is inside of a very tight closet with a louvered door, and had been running in the closet for the last 9 years since I got the place.  I had also called someone to clear the dryer vent about 18 months ago (not easy, considering how tight the closet is).  So I didn't think it was the dryer vent.  I went to the appliance store, and paid almost $1500.00 for a new Whirlpool Thin Twin (MODEL: LTE5243DQWW , 220 volts). 
[/size][size=78%].  I wanted 2 separate units, but the door is only 25.5 inches wide, so the thin twin (at 24") was the only unit that fit. [/size]

Well, the new unit was delivered last week, 6 days ago to be exact.  The appliance store, changed out the exhaust duct, changed out the hoses and the plugs, and installed the new unit and left.  The maiden voyage of laundry took place that night.  Once again, the dryer shut off in midcycle, around 30 minutes into the load. And the load was still damp, and the dryer was full of hot air.  Now I'm scared that the dryer vent is blocked again.  So today, I called someone in to clear the dryer vent (from the sheetrock out, since the tubing is brand new).  If there was anything, it got pushed out the back and into the concrete shaft that is only open from the top (NYC metro living, there is no way down the shaft without rappelling down from the roof, and you need to be really skinny to get down there).  Another $40 gone, but here I am thinking, this is it.  Imagine my surprise to find that after 40 minutes of running, the unit once again stopped, with  damp towel inside.  Now, to be fair, the first 30 minutes, the unit was outside of the closet, after which we shoved it back into the closet where it belongs (otherwise you cannot get into the bathroom).  The last 10 minutes was inside the closet, and that's where it stopped running 10 minutes later.

I am literally at the end of my rope, and at the end of my money  I feel like a fool to have spent nearly $1600.00 to solve the problem, only to have the problem continue.  The only thing that I can think of is that there is a kink in the dryer vent, from pushing it back into the closet. Yet these guys are professionals, I have been buying from this appliance store for 14 years, and they have been in business for about 90 years. 

What could possibly be the problem?  I cannot understand it at all.  Please, please help me.  I don't want to call the wrong people for the problem.  I really feel foolish for spending all of that money, but I really thought it was the solution to the problem, and I could finally dry my clothes on something other than the shower curtain rod.  Thank you for reading this.  I hope someone out there can figure this out.   

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Wonder if you have a bad connection at the outlet on the wall or inside the breaker panel causing you problems.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline NJ Mom

• VIP Member
AJ, thank you, you have given me good suggestions in the past about other appliance issues. 

I did think about that, a loose connection, but the washer will work immediately, ie. start filling with water and so.  But the dryer just won't restart not unless you wait about 20-30 minutes, after which it will start up once again.  That is until another 20 minutes or so, after which is shuts off again.  I don't think that the wall connection is bad, since both units run off of the same electric. 

Its a studio apartment, there are only 3 breakers in the entire place.  The bathroom, washer and dryer are on one circuit, The PTAC unit is on one circuit, and the kitchen/living room is on the other unit.  The lights were on, the TV was on, the air conditioner was on, and nothing flickered or browned out. 

Any other thoughts?

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Do a load of cloth without the VENT connected to the Dryer and see what happens.

Offline NJ Mom

• VIP Member
Dear Dab147315,

Ok, I did a load with the vent unconnected, and it ran about 30 minutes without any problems. 

So we reattached the dryer vent tubing, which is the flexible white tubing, a new one that is an exact match to the old tubing we had for the last 9 years ( and I think it was there for another 5 years with the prior owner as well). It ran for another 10 minutes, and then it stopped.

I'm suspecting that the vent tubing is the problem, may be getting kinked back there.  Problem is, the closet is so tight that I don't believe that a rigid tube will even fit.  Worse, how does one install the rigid tube, because the doorway is 25.5" wide, and the closet is only about 28-29" wide in total.  [I had to remove the angled panel between the washer and the dryer to access the vent tubing, then had to remove the 2 tiny hex bolts in order t disconnect the vent and run this test.]  I think that's why they used the flexible tubing to begin with.  But it was working with the flex tubing for years, why would this setup now stop working?

And just with these 2 times of trying to run the dryer, there are scorch marks on the oval shaped grid in the upper left hand corner of the dryer.   I'm worried that I may have damaged this 8 day old dryer already.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
If the old vent is the white plastic type then that all should be replace as this is not legal anymore and a fire hazard.How long of a vent is the old vent and this sounds like its all plastic and does it vent straight up on a roof and also i seen houses or apartments that its impossible to replace the old vents to metal because of how the house was build years ago.So it sounds like it dries ok and does not stop with the vent removed.If thats the case then the vent is plug up and sometimes those vent cleaning people can not get all the lint out.Main question is how long is the whole vent system until it gets outside?

Offline dab147315

• Technician
You maybe able to use a flexible duct like this but i think you problem is inside the wall and very old duct work thats been there for many years and maybe impossible to replace or clean it out.http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-6ft-scvent-4396010rp-ap4340760.html

Offline dab147315

• Technician

Offline dab147315

• Technician
So what did you do NJ MOM? :popcorn:

Offline domain

• Technician
You have a house wiring issue. period. no two dryers will have the same exact symptom. call an electrician.

Offline Larry the applia

• Technician
agree with domain somewhere the connection is failing.

Offline keithvibe

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
You have a house wiring issue. period. no two dryers will have the same exact symptom. call an electrician.
this

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: Brand new dryer has the same problem as the old one - please help!
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 04:54:28 PM »
NJ Mom~ I see we help you out on a lot on other appliance you needed repaired.It would be nice of you to help us out and let all of the Tech that gave you suggestions, to see what happen with this appliance and what the cause of problem was.Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 04:55:03 PM by dab147315 »

Offline NJ Mom

• VIP Member
Re: Brand new dryer has the same problem as the old one - please help!
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 10:38:01 PM »
  You are correct, my bad.  I just posted the answer on the wrong appliance thread, so I am reposting it here.  Hopefully someone else will find use from it.  Here goes......     
Wow.....let me tell you the sory of the washer/dryer......

After the new washer/dryer was deliverred, we still had the same problem - the dryer would not dry, the unit would shut off after about 20 minutes of running. 

I called the appliance store, and they were kind enough to swap the new unit out for yet another new unit, thinking that the problem was the unit itself. 

The second new unit also had the same problem.  I was then told to run the unit with the exhaust detached.  Lo and behold, the unit worked fine, ran for 40 minutes, after which I had to shut it off because it was filling the apartment with hot air, and we were having a heat wave outside. 

I had to contact the condo association, because it seemed to be a problem with the venting, and I could not access anything behind the sheetrock (nor should I need to, it is the jurisdiction of the condo association).  They sent their men out, and they had to cut away the sheetrock to get up into the ceiling space.  Turns out, this was a retrofit of a pre-war building, and they used the plastic tubing to exhaust all of the dryers into the main chimney.  Being that we are on the first floor, everyone's (all 12 apartments) heavy lint was settling into the chimney, and causing my unit to get blocked.  Turns out, there was no trap door in the basement either.  I don't know how they managed to get all of the lint removed from the chimney, but they were there for about 3 hours on day one ( to diagnosed the problem) and 9 hours on day 2 ( to cut open the walls, climb into the head space, and remove all of the lint).  Since them, we have not had a problem.

I thank all of you for your help.  There was no way anyone would have known about this, except for the builder, who used a short cut and (likely illegally) vented all of the dryers into the unused chimney.  I think the chimney was probably for an old furnace, but since we all have PTAC units for the heat and air-conditioning, the chimney is no longer being used, at least for heat and oxygen/carbon monoxide transfer . 

This is one to remember! :thanks:

Read more: http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=15148.0#ixzz3BqK8lXcB

Maytag Dryer Problem

Started by jborden

Replies: 10
Views: 9041
Last post August 15, 2007, 12:06:18 PM
by AJ
LG Dryer Problem

Started by daved

Replies: 3
Views: 9637
Last post February 13, 2008, 08:26:31 PM
by JWWebster
Kenmore Laundry Center dryer problem

Started by tidebatt1

Replies: 4
Views: 6639
Last post March 27, 2008, 11:51:56 PM
by JWWebster
LG Electric Dryer Timer Problem

Started by kjustis

Replies: 1
Views: 3591
Last post December 30, 2008, 03:26:35 PM
by jumptrout51
Roper Dryer Problem

Started by TheBadGuy

Replies: 7
Views: 3942
Last post January 15, 2009, 07:49:44 PM
by jumptrout51
Maytag Neptune Electric Dryer- Another Problem!

Started by willise

Replies: 5
Views: 7047
Last post March 19, 2009, 10:52:52 AM
by willise