Author Topic: Jenn-Air retractable stove hood fan  (Read 2166 times)

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
Jenn-Air retractable stove hood fan
« on: May 11, 2014, 05:30:27 AM »
My customer has a Jenn-Air retractable stove hood fan model number JXDR7301VS-0,it won't work any more.There is no signal lite to indicate anything,only a push button on the surface to operate.The control motor to raise or lower the hood fan is 33 volt dc motor with an 800 ma fuse.The fuse blew a month ago.The fuse was replaced a month ago and worked well for that month.Now the fuse blew again,but the hood would not go up or down even with a new fuse.The wiring diagram does not tell where to check for 33 v dc.The service manual is nowhere to see.I really need to find the manual.Please help! :ahhh:

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: Jenn-Air retractable stove hood fan
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 08:37:27 AM »
The only retractable hood service manual I could come up with is for a Kitchen Aid.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzIiBNwRIV4NMkF1T1RLRzN3TTA/edit?usp=sharing
Not sure if it's similar to the one your working on or not.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline shillion

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 11:54:58 AM »
Thank you very much AJ,your manual is exactly the right one for my trouble shooting.It shows the identical machine.It looks like I need to take the whole hood fan assembly out to do any testing because no info is available to test each motor or where to find the 33 v dc power.I will report back what I found out.Your help is super fast & greatly appreciated. :thanks:

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 12:10:23 PM »
This model has one motor with a plastic drive screw. Sometimes the hood will jam causing the fuse to blow. This will sometimes cause the drive screw to bend causing even more draw on the motor. Your best bet is to remove the blower fan assembly and the cooktop. Then you can remove the front panel of the hood assembly. Remember where each screw goes because if you put one in the wrong place it can cause the retractable hood to jam. Just take your time. Bring extra fuses for testing.

Good luck.
LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline shillion

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 12:22:53 AM »
Hello Lowsl2,thank you very much for the excellent hint.It's quite a pain having to take everything apart to test this retractable hood fan because the service manual does not indicate the test points or voltage source.I will be really careful to separate the screws and won't mix them.It probably is jammed again.Now the new fuse is in,but it won't go up.Will try to turn the gear by hand to feel if the gear is jammed.I will certainly report back about what I found out.Thanks again. :welcome:

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 10:00:41 AM »
On the left hand side are two access panels. That is where you can test the limit switches. Sometimes they can break or the little metal arms can get bent. This can cause it to not go up or down. Also check the grease filters. There are switches that will deactivate the motor if they come off.
LowSL2

Offline shillion

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 05:30:44 AM »
Hello,Lowsly2,I will certainly take the hood fan out and check the screens and the limit switches.I probably need 2 hours for this job.Will post what I found.Thanks a lot for your suggestions. :thanks:

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 10:00:01 AM »
No problem.  I do warranty repair so I see these a lot. Mostly from incorrect installation or grandma removed the grease traps and it stopped working...
LowSL2

Offline shillion

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 10:19:15 AM »
Hello Lowsl2,since you do warranty work on this Jenn-air retractable hood fan,may be you could give me a hint.The wiring diagram does not tell me where to get the 33volt dc so I can raise the hood by jumping the wires.I was thinking about turning the long worm screw to raise the hood up to free the jamming.Being able to test the motor by jumping the wires would speed up the process;that will tell me the motor is good or bad.Can you tell me where is the 33v dc supply?It may be the control board that is bad if I cannot find the 33v supply.Does it happen often?Thanks for your help!

Old GE electric stove

Started by westsign

Replies: 4
Views: 981
Last post April 29, 2014, 01:57:54 PM
by VOGUSLAVKY