Author Topic: Looking for feedback on google chromebook  (Read 1528 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
Looking for feedback on google chromebook
« on: May 09, 2014, 02:53:15 PM »
Anyone have any experience using a chromebook?

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
Re: Looking for feedback on google chromebook
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 06:51:49 PM »
After doing some research I'm seriously thinking about picking up one of these at Walmart tomorrow.

https://www.google.com/intl/en-us/chrome/devices/acer-c720-chromebook.html#ac-c720

For a couple hundred bucks it looks like a pretty decent internet machine.
Good battery life, Anti-Glare Screen and a keyboard!

Lots of cool apps too.
http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/chrome/webstore/

Sometimes my iPhone is just to small to work on and my macbook pro is to nice to toss around in a vehicle or tool bag.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 12:31:15 PM »
Sounds like you gave up the idea of installing windows on your mac?Yeah i here you about having the mac. pro in your truck.I have a older mac book and a newer pro but only use the mac.book in my truck.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 12:36:25 PM by dab147315 »

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 10:15:02 PM »
Still thinking things over...

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 12:55:11 AM »
I was looking at picking up a chrome book myself.     Just to play around with it.     Friend of mine picked one up,   and I can tell you from briefly playing around with his - it's super fast.     For internet,   minor programs and such,   it would probably work well for you.    I played with it for maybe 10 minutes.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline bearhawk

• Technician
  • Integrity Repair Services LLC
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 10:51:34 AM »
Did you do it?  Inquiring minds want to know  :)

If you use it in your truck do you run something like a mifi from verizon or some other mobile internet device?
Owner of Integrity Repair Services LLC
269-447-3967

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 12:13:49 PM »
I have not bought one yet.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 03:18:52 PM »
Just ordered a chromebook. Should be here this Wednesday. If I run it from my truck I can use my cell as a hotspot. Should be interesting.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 11:38:16 PM »
Never thought of being able to use a Chromebook to run my Mac.
Looking forward to trying the remote desktop apps.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/remote%20desktop

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 05:19:28 PM »
I have only had my Acer C720 Chromebook for a day now, but I must say it's been a joy to use right from the start.

One thing that I really like about it that I never even gave much thought to is the anti-glare screen. I find it very nice and almost refreshing to use as I have never had a laptop with a non glare screen.

From power off to being able to browse online only takes 5 seconds. There are three versions of the Acer C720. The 2GB Ram + 16GB storage, 4GB Ram/16GB storage and 2GB Ram/32GB storage.

I purchased the cheapest one, 2GB Ram/16GB storage and it seems more then fast enough. As for the storage I figured I would be using the google drive most of the time any way or usb sticks if I want more offline storage.

When you download something the default setting is to save it to "downloads" on the local drive. You can easily select to download to your google drive.
If you plug in a usb thumb drive it shows up just like a additional drive. There is a USB 2 and USB 3 port. Both of them seem to work just fine.

Another plus that I did not give much thought to was the touch pad. I really like the touchpad on my Macbook pro. It's a little different than what I have ever used on other non Mac laptops. Not sure how to describe my Macbook pro touchpad, but it's more like the touch glass on a smart phone. Was kind of planing on using a wireless mouse (bluetooth) with my new Chromebook, but to my surprise I really like the feel of the touch pad on the Chromebook. At first the two finger scroll moved things on the screen in the opposite direction then I was use to on my Macbook pro, but I soon found a setting for the Chrome touchpad that let me change it. The Chromebook touchpad has a very similar feel as my Macbook pro touchpad now.

My gmail and google drive tie in very nicely with the Chrome OS.

The one and only problem I have run into so far (only had it a day) is with the 1password app. I use 1password on my macbook pro and iphone. I could not get the version for Chrome to work. Researched it online and tried several things before i gave up and started using LastPass app. It seems to work great with my new Chromebook along with my Macbook and iphone.

The battery life seem to be holding up to it's claim of 8.5 hours too.

When I first started using it yesterday evening it showed over the 8.5, was showing something like 9.5 hours at 100%.
I must have spent a good 5-6 hours on it last night and the battery still showed 55% and 4.25 hours left on it.

Anyway them are some of my first impressions of my Acer C720 Chromebook. So far I must say I'm very impress.

Offline tch_tech

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 09:05:00 PM »
AJ, question please.

Why did you go with a laptop, and not a bigger tablet?

Less weight and bulk, especially in the truck, or beside the appliance with the tech sheet open.

Curious as to why you chose a laptop.
I think this will work.  I once saw it on a cartoon.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 09:29:51 PM »
I plan on use it for a lot more then just work.

As for tablets I tried the iPad thing once. If I have to do much of any typing I prefer the feel of a real keyboard vs glass and I do a lot of typing!
Yea, I know you can get wireless keyboards for tablets, but then why not just go with a laptop?

This Acer C720 is a Chromebook and not a full featured laptop with a hard drive or cd drive.
The Chromebook I got only has a 11.6" screen, 2.8 lbs and did I mention the anti-glare screen? I really like that. :D

Being some what of a tech junkie I wanted to give the Chrome OS a try.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_OS

It's not always about work. ;)

A tablet works great for many people too. Just personal preference...

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 09:47:21 PM »
When I say tech junkie I mean, technology junkie, not technician, lol...

I have been playing around with the Chrome browser for a while now and find it interesting how I can use it on a Microsoft (MS) or my Mac and have everything like the bookmarks, extensions, apps, etc.. .all sync.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome

I often find myself working on other peoples MS machines. It's great to have a portable version of Chrome on a USB flash drive with me for them time.
http://portableapps.com/

I know it's not going to be everyones cup of tea, just sharing some of my thoughts. I had many questions myself before purchasing a Chromebook. Maybe sharing some of my experiences will help others decide if they want to give one a try or not.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 04:04:02 PM »
I have been using my Chromebook for about two weeks now. It gets more impressive every day.

Last Sunday I had to travel up north to be with some family members for about three days. Most often on 2-3 day trips like this I debate on taking my Macbook with me or just try getting by with my iPhone.

This time I took my Chromebook with me and could not have been happier.

I have used gmail for years now and find myself using Google drive more and more all the time. Chrome has also been my browser of choice no matter what piece of hardware I'm using to get online with. The Chromebook fits very nicely into the whole Google ecosystem.

I like to travel light and being able to slip this little Chromebook into the pocket of a smaller suit case was great!

Offline ryanshank

• VIP Member
    • Mhelpdesk
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 11:59:02 AM »
Chromebooks are awesome little things as long as most or all of your work is done in the cloud. If you need a ton of storage or want to play some serious games on it, you're hooped. When I was looking for a computer earlier this year I asked some very experienced hackers, people who only ever build their own machines from scratch, and they said for me, working on the internet all day, a Chromebook is a terrific value and fast, too. It's got Google Inside, of course, so they're snooping in your business, but in this day and age I almost feel like someone somewhere is snooping all the time and I'd rather it be Google.
FULL DISCLOSURE: I work for Mhelpdesk, the top-rated field service software company for managing work orders, scheduling, field tech updates, invoicing and more.

Install the Official ApplianceJunk Google Toolbar Button.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 1301
Last post August 27, 2009, 05:26:30 PM
by AJ
Looking for feedback on new AJ Cap.

Started by AJ

Replies: 7
Views: 2135
Last post April 30, 2010, 11:20:01 PM
by AJ

Started by AJ