Author Topic: What version of Windows are you running and how do you like it?  (Read 872 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
I switch from Windows to a Mac a few years ago and have never looked back.

Recently though I released just how out of touch I'm now with the Windows operating system.

When being asked by friends and family how to go about doing something on their Windows computers I'm simply unfamiliar with how to do things.

So I'm looking at making my Mac a dual boot system so I can run both Apple OS X and some version of Windows on it.

Now I'm trying to decide what version of Window I should install. The last version I used was Windows XP and I see that is no longer supported so I guess one could say it's now out dated.

This leaves with with Windows 7 or Windows 8 to pick from. Along with different versions of each such as Windows 7 Home and Windows 7 Professional.

What version of Windows are you using and how do you like it?
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: What version of Windows are you running and how do you like it?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 10:27:11 AM »
I would buy a cheap P.C first before i would put Windows on My Mac.My opinion.I am like you.I have not used a P.C in years but installing it on a Mac turns me off.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 10:33:34 AM »
Was looking at using Mac's built in Boot Camp utility.
https://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

Thought about going the cheap laptop route, but I hate cheap hardware and it would be nice to just have one laptop to carry around.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 01:05:28 PM »
Have 7 and XP and wife has 8. She can't run half of my business programs on it. Peachtree accounting and a few others (mostly accounting type) will not load on her Windows 8. I also have an Ipad air which I use in the field. An Android tablet with flash drives for manuals as not good cell service in my area. I really liked XP and don't really care for Windows 7. 

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 06:04:19 PM »
XP support has been shut off (or so they say) so unless you need a touchscreen styled interface Win7 is the best choice. The three flavors (Home, Pro and Ultimate) really don't matter to a single user or Home Networked user. I use Windows Media Center on 4 TVs and find the Win7 version a bit better. I do have 1 Win8 machine that's a pretty underpowered machine and Win8 definitely runs a bit smoother than 7 on it. But yeah, Win7 is the best current version, IMO.

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 06:33:50 PM »
I have Windows 7 Pro on my home computer. Other than it being 7 years old and needing a fresh install, it works just fine for the four of us.  I've never had an Apple product other than the iPhone 5 that $ears gave us for work. After using Android devices for the last 5 years I find it extremely difficult to use the iphone. I don't know why but I just can't stand using it. And it's on sprint so that doesn't help either.
LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 07:28:14 PM »
I am using windows 7 pro on my one laptop,  the one I use for business.    It has 8 gig ram,  dual core processor (I think I paid 1200 for it,  was best one available at the time about 4 years ago).   Had windows 8 on it,   took it off and went back to the windows 7.      I have 2 other laptops,  one has vista on it (sucks) and the other XP.  I personally like XP the best of all,  but not supported anymore so I just use that one to move files around on my hard drives.    I have an cheap android pad I can load up with manuals or other things I need it for,   and I have about 15 portable hard drives I archive stuff on.   Can't have too many backups.   I have 2 desktop PC's ,  one has win 7 and one has xp.    That's my PC collection

I have one older mac I use for my recording studio,   but it is specifically for music and do not use it for anything else.   Don't have much time to screw around with that lately,  but it has no other programs on it except recording software.     

I personally don't think I would put the dual boot system on one single piece of hardware,   It would be better to keep them seperate.   My opinion.   I always keep my pc's streamlined,  not putting on any unnecessary software on.   And a different one for every purpose.    I don't play games anymore (they can really slow down a system), and when I did had them on a seperate PC>  .   

So..................... My opinion,   I would probably go with a win 7 pro unit if it were me and needed a windows laptop.     
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline gscrandall

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 01:35:52 AM »
Windows 7 is good I dont like windows 8

Online RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 02:40:39 PM »
Have a home computer with windows 7 ,laptop with XP, Ipad2 and iphone 5 .Out and about yesterday checking out an Imac...I love apple products .

Offline ApplianceGuru

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 01:13:52 PM »
You get no love from me....

I do have Windows 7 installed on a laptop, but I dual boot to Linux.  I have set my default OS to Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS (Long Term Support)  The Linux desktop environments are far more advanced than anything Windows offers.  Linux offers things like "multiple desktops", you have the "always on top" option for any window, and along with maximize and minimize, you can " shade" a window.   Those are just a few little advantages I find super handy.

If you want to give it a go, download Linux Mint Cinnamon w/codecs to your hard drive, and then install it to a flash drive.  You can then boot from the flash drive, and Linux will run on your system without mounting any of you're hard drives, and run completely in memory.  This way you can try out Mint without doing anything to you're current OS/system.

One of the biggest advantages of Linux is the software repositories.  One click updates every last piece of software on your system.  When I boot to Windows, I want to pull my hair out......  In Windows, every time you install or update your software, you have to reboot, and then if you want to do a quick reboot, you are forced to wait for the system to download and install updates.  GRRRRRR

I run Linux on everything, personal and business.  Even my Android phone runs Linux, because Android is Linux, but Android is a very restricted linux desktop/windows environment offered by Google, and as such, Google made sure you couldn't use ANY of the usual Linux software, other than the kernel and hardware drivers.  I hate it when companies do crap like that.
Appliance Heating & Air Tech

Offline VOGUSLAVKY

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 01:30:37 PM »
I was a apple tec all my produts are mac's.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 12:48:52 AM »
Guru, 
      How does Linux do running windows software?    I have used linux several times to run diagnostic software when I can't get into windows because of some problem.     Have it on an 8 gig flash stick.   That's what was good about DOS -  never had the virus's and crap you get with windows systems.    Never ran whole system on it.    I have 3 old computers,   I may put one together and try Linux on it.    Does Microsoft Word run on it?    Just curious about your experiences.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline ApplianceGuru

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 01:12:13 AM »
You don't need Microsoft word.  There is a free open source office suite called Libre Office, and it is cross platform, which means your can run it on Linux, Windows, or Mac.  www.libreoffice.org  You can download it and install it on whatever OS you are running to test it out.  A lot of the Linux software has been ported to Windows and Mac.

As for running Microsoft software on Linux.......that's a hit and miss area.   Linux has windows API's if you install a software program called "wine" but it is a pain to set up, and doesn't run everything.  In Linux it is best to stick with the open-source version of whatever software you want to run.

Of course, running Linux software on Windows is completely miss.  There is no hit there.  Linux can run a lot of Windows software, but Windows won't run an once of Linux software.  You can install a machine emulator in windows, and get it to run Linux, but that isn't the same as directly running the software.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 01:26:54 AM by ApplianceGuru »
Appliance Heating & Air Tech

Kitchenaid Compactor Keeps Running

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 1285
Last post April 08, 2008, 09:49:48 PM
by TechnicianBrian