Author Topic: Frigidaire LFFC1466DW3 chest freezer not cooling  (Read 582 times)

Offline jrandallc

• VIP Member
Frigidaire LFFC1466DW3 chest freezer not cooling
« on: April 23, 2014, 10:33:17 AM »
I have inherited a non-working Frigidaire LFFC1466DW3 chest freezer. It was reported that it was making a weird sound while running. I identified that as the fan and that's no longer a problem.

Here are the current symptoms/conditions:
-compressor gets warm during operation
-evaporator coils are clean
-I have bypassed the thermostat and that didn't help
-I hear hissing/bubbling in the coil lines. This, along with warm compressor, should indicate presence of Freon, is that correct?

What would be possible causes for no cooling at this point? Any other conditions I should report to help out with troubleshooting?

The freezer was transported on its side and turned on immediately. I know that is a "no-no" but I've read where that won't always kill a freezer, especially on "newer" models in the past ten years. Is that the case? It has been sitting for about two days now without being used. Thanks for any help.

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
Re: Frigidaire LFFC1466DW3 chest freezer not cooling
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 01:45:14 PM »
Is the hissing/bubbling noise coming from the air dryer or at the inlet to the evaporator coil?
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline jrandallc

• VIP Member
Re: Frigidaire LFFC1466DW3 chest freezer not cooling
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 03:26:31 PM »
Patricio, thanks for the reply. I'm really not sure where the hissing is coming from. :/ I had to listen again when I got home last night. I let the machine run for a while to warm up, then when I turned it off, I could hear a sound coming from the lower coil area (I have the inner panel that covers the coil pulled back while I'm troubleshooting this) but I couldn't pinpoint the source exactly. It's not a leaking sound, BTW. I just mentioned it because it seems to indicate there is freon in the lines. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't misreading that signal, or that the sound is normal when a freezer is turned off. My main concern at this point is trying to confirm if there is freon in the system, or if I'm looking at another cause and from what I can see, it seems like there is freon.

Last night I pulled the defrost thermostat and put it in some ice water to do a resistance test on it and it failed that test, so I have ordered a new defrost thermostat. I also tested again the regular thermostat behind the knob and even bypassed it (even though it passed) but that still didn't help. Will a failed defrost thermostat allow the unit to run but not get cold? Can you bypass a defrost thermostat? I've read that you can and that you can't. I would assume bypassing it would be as simple as connecting the two wires that connect to it. Still, I'm not confident that this will fix my problems. A failed defrost thermostat will cause the freezer to be too cold, right?

Frigidaire Freezer not Cooling

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 9904
Last post August 30, 2008, 07:54:56 AM
by TechnicianBrian
Frigidaire Chest Freezer

Started by weeblewobble

Replies: 3
Views: 1784
Last post February 17, 2009, 10:35:05 PM
by JWWebster