Author Topic: GE PSCS5RGXCFSS new compressor/evap coils(dual) dosen't cool.  (Read 702 times)

Offline loft306

• VIP Member

About a week ago the compressor and the evap coils were replaced then 2 days later it was a hot box again. this unit is 2.5 years old.

As of this time the mobo gives the correct voltages everywhere, the compressor runs, all the fans run, the compressor ohmed out correctly, but neither evap coil  frosts up, it is my opinion its either a Freon leak  overfill or under fill.  while i was feeling about on the plumbing  i find that the condenser is at room temp, the compressor is hotter than it should be,  the end of the freezer cap is slightly cold as it enters the evap coil  the coil is room temp... same thing at the fridge evap coil but to a lesser extent,  and the suction tube a few inches before it enters the compressor is the coldest point but not frosty(going to plug the system in now after it was off all night  to see if the suction tube gets frosty with out the compressor being overly hot).
also the 3 way valve returns home on power up

My other thought is there is a restriction/kink in a line we cant see... as this unit never did really ever get all that cold but they say the variable speed dual evap units don't get as cold as the old ones... or they were just pulling our leg...

Online tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: GE PSCS5RGXCFSS new compressor/evap coils(dual) dosen't cool.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 12:46:50 PM »
I think there is a leak or there is moisture in the system.  Did they leave the access valves on? Did they sweep charge or pull a vacuum? If the valves are there, hook up some gauges and tell us the pressure readings.

Offline loft306

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 09:47:12 PM »
They left  a schrader on the low side,  and i don't know if they sweep charged then evacuated or if they just pulled vacuum and charged.

So i went and got gauges today  and here are the results  upon plugging in the unit it pulled -30 psi, I let it run for 10min and it changed to -20psi then i unplugged it from the wall and it went instantly to 10 psi then equalized at 0 psi.  I know it should be between 0 and 5 psi on the low side.

so i think that means its low on freon or clogged.   I will on Sunday or Monday have this at my place and be able to evacuate it and pull vacuum and check for leaks.

Also i noticed they didn't properly mount the compressor  and rather only installed one grommet to the compressor and its just sitting on the other 3 without installing the hold downs...... go figure >:(     I will sort that b4 i toss it on the truck.

P.S. if we need hi side readings i can braze on a self tapping schrader port  when i acquire one.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:56:31 PM by loft306 »

Offline loft306

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 11:19:49 PM »
just a small edit:

The Schrader is on the process tube if that mekes a diffrence.

Online tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 08:53:09 PM »
It sounds like it's leaking.  Since it only took two days, it must be a fast leak. I don't know much about variable speed compressors, but I don't think they're designed to run a lowside vacuum.  Is there any way you can have someone come back and fix it right?  Was this a warranty repair?

Offline loft306

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 09:27:50 PM »
yes and no they want to order another new set of evap coils and another compressor  and do another full rebuild....... I'm like wtf? are you guys tech's or just parts re placers? and yes the compressor is  still under warranty for like another 2.5  on the compressor. and the rest of the sealed system and labor . then goes on to say the warenty continues to any suceeding owners as long as used for residential use... so i wont blow the warrenty if i take it home. that is nice.

The new fridge only comes with a one year parts warranty.  I will see if my parents will let me leave it in there garage for the service peeps to try again to fix it rite  b4 i take it home and prob blow the warranty.  They don't trust the unit anymore after loosing food twice so they bought a new one. i know the issue i have access to evac pumps and freon i can braze so i will just add in a high side port. and do it rite  with a sweep and purge then charge after i find the leak.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:43:55 PM by loft306 »

Offline loft306

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 10:37:50 PM »
It sounds like it's leaking.  Since it only took two days, it must be a fast leak. I don't know much about variable speed compressors, but I don't think they're designed to run a lowside vacuum.  Is there any way you can have someone come back and fix it right?  Was this a warranty repair?
no there not sposed to be running  in vacuum that is wrong its sposed to be 0-5 psi  in the service manual.

Offline keithvibe

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 07:10:02 PM »
since you already lost the charge... remove the shrader core... most guys forget to remove it when they burn one is... indoing so they ruin the rubber seal on it... replace the shrader and leak check.

GE Profile Fridge, Dual, Separated Defrost Coils Glow Different

Started by Rawfist

Replies: 1
Views: 1789
Last post August 25, 2011, 09:43:35 AM
by tgoods
MayTag refer/ Evap coils no ice?

Started by VR4

Replies: 9
Views: 1792
Last post December 21, 2011, 09:48:22 PM
by niobrara