365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer PartsDryer PartsRefrigerator PartsDishwasher PartsRange & Oven PartsAll Appliance Parts

Author Topic: Another Thermidor issue, prd486edg/05  (Read 151 times)

Offline nolazach

• Technician
Another Thermidor issue, prd486edg/05
« on: April 15, 2014, 07:29:58 AM »
  So a long time property manager customer calls me.  I go to this 200 year old mansion that is very art deco on the inside, and contains the coolest oven I have seen.  Has an older look to it, with analog gauges and all, but is very modern.
After diagnosing, it's plainly clear the issues are that the relays are bad.
   Of course, even though Therms aren't that hard to work on, and I covered last week, that many accept Whirlpool parts, the one I have this week is a challenge.

First I struggled to gain access to the relay/control board.
 Now I am not sure about the diagram I have.

Wondering if any of you Bosch guys can help me out.

Just need a parts breakdown.   prd486edg/05

Thanks

What the issue is, is that when I turn either oven on.  I do get power to them.  When I turn the right one to broil it starts to heat a little then you hear a click and it stops.  When you turn the left one on. it clicks right away and the light goes off.  This would point to a failed relay.  From what I gather this oven does not have a control board, but does have a large central relay.  I have seen this on other dual fuel thermidors.   

looks like this...

I need the parts breakdown because.......(I'm having trouble getting to it)

I'm going to just order the relay, It really HAS to be that when I think about the symptoms.  I just don't like not having a good diagram to go through.  That is my major grip with APD and APP over Sears.  Sears has the best breakdowns.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:39:45 AM by nolazach »

Offline nolazach

• Technician
Re: Another Thermidor issue, prd486edg/05
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 07:44:13 AM »
crap then I check another site and they have this board....

Which scares me as it's more than what I charged for the part I said the oven needed.
   I know dor sure it's a bad relay.  I've had the issue on other Therms and see it in electronic control ovens all the time.  I almost feel like going back and taking the board out and just soldering on new relays.  I wonder if this is the part I need, and not the other?   The issue is I can't get a good breakdown of this oven to tell.

Offline nolazach

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 07:46:14 AM »
nevermind Repair Clinic lost their minds, lol.  Charging $450 for a part everyone else wants $210 for.  lol

It's around the same price as the relay board.  My fault is not access relay board in the diagnosis, as the customer was rushing me to look at other things.

Offline AppTek

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 11:10:24 AM »
If you can get to the board, look for broken/burnt solder points. Usually that's what I find on relay boards.  I just fixed a Maytag dishwasher last night that had burnt the solder around the relay pins. Relays were both fine, just  need to be cleaned and re-soldered. If the board and pin on the relay are not burnt too bad you can de-solder the relay, clean the pin with a file or sandpaper re-flow the solder on the board and solder the relay back in. If there are no visible burn/broken points then you will have to remove all the relays and test them.

Offline nolazach

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 09:22:30 PM »
I can't make three trips,m at this point replacement is the only option.  Plus I was pre-paid.

Offline nolazach

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 12:23:17 PM »
anybody have access to a better breakdown of this oven?

Offline Spannerwrench

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 09:36:45 AM »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i07ruw79sjtpefo/prd486edg-05%20-%20PL.pdf

The illustration numbers are not the part numbers, I can match those up if you need me to.

Offline nolazach

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 12:05:17 PM »
I need the control, labeled 0604 which is the control 709786.  I have one due to arrive Tuesday.  I was hoping the breakdown would give me a better idea how to remove it.  I know it's at the bottom, it's just too big an oven to move, I was hoping I could get it out from the front.   think I can.

Offline nolazach

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 01:31:54 PM »
Okay.  so typical Thermidor.  Is the control board in an easy to get to spot??  NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to remove the burners.    I want to flay whoever designed the star burner system on these stupid ovens.  "Oh yes, let's torque a tiny brass nut to 150ft-lbs and of course make it so small that sockets and wrenches simply slip right off"

So of course I figure there has to be another way, so I take the back of the oven off, NOPE.   Sides, NOPE.  Front, NOPE.   Only one way to access the control board (that of course no guide tells you where it is (under left bank of burners) is through the Gosh Darn star burners.

I'm ten seconds away from just cutting my losses and refunding this job.  I was going to make a nice pay from it (already made, he paid in advance) but I have never had a good experience with these star burners.  I wish I could cut the nuts off. 
Man I need a beer.

I made up some "need a special tool at the shop" excuse and left to continue the day.
Haven't decided if I'll go back or just send him a check.

Maytag Smooth Top Range burner issue

Started by mtgappdrh

Replies: 4
Views: 6975
Last post November 22, 2008, 09:21:40 AM
by JWWebster
Gold issue

Started by blueavlo

Replies: 4
Views: 1514
Last post November 26, 2008, 07:47:31 PM
by JWWebster