Author Topic: Kitchenaid Washer Agitator Stuck during the Spin Cycle  (Read 3235 times)

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
Kitchenaid Washer Agitator Stuck during the Spin Cycle
« on: July 02, 2008, 06:33:34 AM »
Model Number: KAWS850LQ1 icon, the complaint on this washer was a problem during the spin cycle and that the clothes were getting tangled up at the end of the wash. Because the problem was noted during the spin portion of the cycle, I actuated the lid switch and turned the timer to spin, noticed the basket took off without a problem, but the agitator wouldn't budge without a little help. An odd problem yes, but the solution may surprise you.

What happens during Spin
Normally when a Whirlpool manufactured direct drive washer enters a spin cycle, the gear case will apply rotational drive to the clutch assembly, which will in turn, release the brake and apply drive to the spin tube. The basket itself is attached to the spin tube which has the gear case shaft running up through the center to the agitator. There is no actual drive applied to the agitator itself, but it will free wheel during the cycle and rotate along with the basket.

Looking for (Finding) the Problem
Since the agitator wouldn't move without assistance, I removed the cabinet and started looking over the drive assembly for something that would explain this peculiar operation and found it directly behind the motor. The gear case is attached to the tub support with three bolts that help keep everything straight and in place. The front bolt (the one behind the motor) was loose, resulting in enough resistance being applied to the agitator shaft that it prevented any movement. After tightening the bolt so the gear case was back where it should have been, everything started working just fine again.

KAWS850LQ1

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Kitchenaid Washer Agitator Stuck during the Spin Cycle
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 10:30:35 AM »
Brian have ever seen one agitate in the spin cycle? Splain to me what caused that little phenomena?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Amana washer agitator rattles during spin cycle

Started by suec

Replies: 7
Views: 6977
Last post July 15, 2008, 08:43:36 AM
by JWWebster
Washer gets stuck in a prepetual spin cycle and door stays locked

Started by jmaloney82

Replies: 5
Views: 2922
Last post December 17, 2008, 09:50:38 AM
by Repair-man
whirlpool washer, drum spins, but agitator agitates during spin cycle!

Started by larry39

Replies: 6
Views: 5017
Last post May 05, 2009, 11:52:56 AM
by Al Capone
GE washer stuck in spin cycle on "regular", OK in perm press..?

Started by Black88GTA

Replies: 11
Views: 4636
Last post September 02, 2009, 02:43:14 PM
by Repair-man
Maytag washer mah4000aww spin cycle

Started by evo100

Replies: 1
Views: 3416
Last post December 25, 2007, 09:41:02 PM
by AJ
washer works except spin cycle and has a burning rubber smell.

Started by hogslayer

Replies: 4
Views: 4952
Last post February 19, 2008, 03:50:55 PM
by JWWebster