Author Topic: What version of Windows are you running and how do you like it?  (Read 2150 times)

Offline VOGUSLAVKY

• Technician
Re: What version of Windows are you running and how do you like it?
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 01:30:37 PM »
I was a apple tec all my produts are mac's.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 12:48:52 AM »
Guru, 
      How does Linux do running windows software?    I have used linux several times to run diagnostic software when I can't get into windows because of some problem.     Have it on an 8 gig flash stick.   That's what was good about DOS -  never had the virus's and crap you get with windows systems.    Never ran whole system on it.    I have 3 old computers,   I may put one together and try Linux on it.    Does Microsoft Word run on it?    Just curious about your experiences.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline ApplianceGuru

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 01:12:13 AM »
You don't need Microsoft word.  There is a free open source office suite called Libre Office, and it is cross platform, which means your can run it on Linux, Windows, or Mac.  www.libreoffice.org  You can download it and install it on whatever OS you are running to test it out.  A lot of the Linux software has been ported to Windows and Mac.

As for running Microsoft software on Linux.......that's a hit and miss area.   Linux has windows API's if you install a software program called "wine" but it is a pain to set up, and doesn't run everything.  In Linux it is best to stick with the open-source version of whatever software you want to run.

Of course, running Linux software on Windows is completely miss.  There is no hit there.  Linux can run a lot of Windows software, but Windows won't run an once of Linux software.  You can install a machine emulator in windows, and get it to run Linux, but that isn't the same as directly running the software.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 01:26:54 AM by ApplianceGuru »
Appliance Heating & Air Tech

Kitchenaid Compactor Keeps Running

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 1803
Last post April 08, 2008, 09:49:48 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Download and try Windows 10 for free!

Started by AJ

Replies: 9
Views: 935