Author Topic: How to check a VRT Ring  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Baldrick

• VIP Member
How to check a VRT Ring
« on: April 05, 2014, 12:37:13 PM »
I've been trying to diagnose my Samsung WF419AAW because of spin vibration and wet clothes at the end of cycle.

I've got the unit disassembled. The bearing seems tight with no leakage that I can see, the spider is still good and I've removed the VRT ring thinking it may be bad. I don't hear any shooshing noise as I spin the ring - just an occasional clack , and the weight does move around. I also sometimes hear what sounds like air bubbles in it.

My question is, is there a sure way to determine if the ring is bad? I was all set to replace the drum/bearing, but it all looks good! I'm at my wits ends trying to figure out what's wrong...

Thanks!

Offline domain

• Technician
Re: How to check a VRT Ring
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 07:27:14 PM »
Any bellow wear? I have had a few with egg shape drums after a few years. Other than tha :thanks:t, isthe unit located and used Iin a cold area?

Offline Baldrick

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 11:00:32 AM »
Hmmm, now that you mention it...

I've got the rear drum/bearing still in the unit. I put the inner drum back in and when I spin it, the rear of the inner drum doesn't move up or down, but the front edge has 1/2" of wobble in it! The drum doesn't seem to be out of round so I'm thinking that maybe the shaft is bent. When I get a chance, I'll try to do some measurements.

And yes, the washer is in an unheated basement. The winter temps are in the low-mid 50's. Do you think the oil in the ring got too thick and it got so unbalanced that it bent my shaft? If I need to buy a new spider, should I definitely get a new ring too?

BTW, what's 'bellow wear'?

Thanks.

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 11:44:44 AM »
Hello I am a Canadian appliance repairman in Victoria,BC.I do not have much experience with Samsung Front loading washer but very interested to learn about it.I myself have not taken apart any brand of front loading washer to replace the bearing or the spider because of time and costs involved.I reply to this post because I love to follow this case.If the drum shows half inch of up and down movement at the bellow,that means the drum is "egg" shaped.I wonder what would cause the change of shape and would that be under warranty.I am sorr :tiphat: y I do not have any suggestion to offer.Good luck with your investigation!

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 08:45:09 PM »
Ahh I knew it! Good catch. Not sure about how the parts deformed, but they seem to have! Mind clarifying where the wobble is? Bellow is another word for door gasket, usually grey. Look for wear spots! O0

Offline Baldrick

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 09:19:24 AM »
Yes, a very good catch!

The door gasket looks perfect.

I've uploaded a short video to show the wobble:

I put a square on the drum and it seems to be pretty straight. Then, I put a small square on the shaft and found that it's definitely not straight. I guess it's time for a new spider. Now, I have to decide if I want to take my chances with the old VRT ring.

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 09:52:27 AM »
Wow. That's definitely bent. Nice catch.
LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 02:34:33 PM »
That video rocks my socks!  O0 O0   My only explanation on that for customers is out of round tub. I do however explain how that is very hard to believe, but the only explanation at that moment. This will be my new explanation! Seems much much more plausible! No matter what I tell them, they still pay for major labor and we would replace drum and Spider combo. Thank you very much!  :thanks:

Offline Baldrick

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 03:40:02 PM »
I'm glad you liked it!

I should have explained that in the video I had clamped that stick in place for a reference.  Also, when I said I measured around the circumference, what I meant was that I measured across the front edge in several places. The measurements were within a 1/16" which is why I said it's not out-of-round. Once I put the VRT ring back in place, it was even better.

Do you always quote a new drum on a repair? It seems that if the drum is good, there'd be a better chance getting a customer to OK a repair instead of telling you "No" and buying a new washer. After all, it's about $200 cheaper and you still make your labor. Just a thought...

I've ordered the new spider and should get it by Wed. I'll post post updates.

Again, thanks all!!!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 03:40:43 PM by Baldrick »

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 03:53:09 PM »
Yes, honestly. New Balance Rings come assembled as well as  the Spider assembly. Usually customer won't repair even at the cost of spider replacement....  :'(

Maytag washer how to check motor?

Started by jonesrsrg

Replies: 6
Views: 3165
Last post February 01, 2008, 09:31:29 PM
by JWWebster
How to check if wigwag is good

Started by yabadabadoo1026

Replies: 16
Views: 5364
Last post March 11, 2008, 05:07:20 PM
by yabadabadoo1026