Free Service - Appliance Repair Help & Troubleshooting

Author Topic: Still going strong  (Read 1201 times)

Offline def

• VIP Member
  • I'll fix anything...sometimes, I'm successful.
Still going strong
« on: March 27, 2014, 01:17:17 PM »
Some of you recall that I resurrected a non-operating Maytag Neptune 4000 some while beack. I had Herman rebuild the Control Board. I replaced the wax motor.

It has been operational 2 years now. It sits in my unheated garage here in Dixieland (near Birmingham, AL) and is used routinely. I feed it with a garden hose. This last winter, it froze a bit. After a thaw, it returned to its regular operating modes after spitting some ice from the drain hose.

Those of you with Neptunes, don;t give up on them. They are a fine washer. The matching dryer has just had the belt replaced and runs fine.

Thanks for your assistance at the beginning. You saved me having to buy a new washer.   :thanks:
I used to repair RADAR then they discontinued vacuum tubes. Pity

Offline def

• VIP Member
Re: Still going strong
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 10:25:07 PM »
Some of you recall that I resurrected a non-operating Maytag Neptune 4000 some while back. I had Herman rebuild the Control Board. I replaced the wax motor.

It has been operational 2 years now. It sits in my unheated garage here in Dixieland (near Birmingham, AL) and is used routinely. I feed it with a garden hose. This last winter, it froze a bit. After a thaw, it returned to its regular operating modes after spitting some ice from the drain hose.

Those of you with Neptunes, don;t give up on them. They are a fine washer. The matching dryer has just had the belt replaced and runs fine.

Thanks for your assistance at the beginning. You saved me having to buy a new washer.   :thanks:

Well, here it is Spring 2015...The Neptune is still spitting out clean clothes.  O0 I may actually plumb it up to hot water now that I know its reliable. The belt has started to chirp a bit when heavily loaded...maybe a new belt is in order. Is it difficult to change? Is it expensive?  :thanks:

Offline def

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 10:39:22 AM »
Is there a way to increase the water level during tub fill? My Neptune has only 4-5 inches of water in the tub after filling ceases. :-\

Offline def

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 05:20:03 PM »
We have a new President (elect) but,  my Neptune is still original and running just fine after the repairs made years ago. I wonder what it is about these old Neptunes they work so well and are so reliable.

No, you can't have mine. BTW, the new board cost $40.00, my total investment in this washer.

Hope my BMW motorcycle is as reliable. So far, so good. Now, if the new POTUS is ju.....

....never mind....he'll be just fine.  :oops:  O0

Offline domain

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 05:31:05 PM »
AWESOME ;)

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 06:15:05 AM »
I had a Neptune washer several years back and it did not put as much water in the tub as other types of washer but it did the job pretty well. That reduction in water use is important to people living in rural areas or with very high water rates. I dont think you can adjust the water level .

Offline Dave Appliance tech

• VIP Member
  • Favorite Customer Quote. "Its urgent you fix it!"
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 05:18:49 PM »

I feed it with a garden hose. This last winter, it froze a bit. After a thaw, it returned to its regular operating modes after spitting some ice from the drain hose.

I love that. Yeah it froze up and started working again. You gotta love that.  O0