Author Topic: FEX831FS2 Frigidaire stackable washer - will not start cycle.  (Read 610 times)

Offline tuckleberry

• VIP Member
Evenin folks,

I've got a stackable frigidaire washer center - FEX831FS2 - that will not start a cycle.

A while back we had some freezing temperatures. I tried to start a cycle and got a low hum but no response from the valve. Figuring the pipes were frozen, I left it at that. My roommmate, however, tried to start a cycle and repeatedly pulled the timer in and out attempting to start a cycle. When I returned home and confirmed the pipes were thawed, I tried to start another cycle. No water, but also no low hum this time.

So on to my question... folks who may have seen this a few more times than I have - did we burn out the timer or the valve? I tried to put a generic valve on it to see what would happen and had no luck, albeit the valve in the machine ( http://s.sears.com/is/image/Sears/PD_0026_417_134890600 ) has two additional small single wire harnesses on top of the valve instead of the typical two red/white double harnesses you see. The generic valve did not have anything to plug those into.

Additionally, if I turn the timer to try and drain/spin/rinse, there is also no response. This leads me to thinking it's the timer. (and yep I checked the fuse. dryer works fine.)

Thoughts?

Offline tuckleberry

• VIP Member
Re: FEX831FS2 Frigidaire stackable washer - will not start cycle.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 07:08:51 PM »
Actually uhhhh this is weird, it appears the washer will try and start a cycle, but only if the dryer is turned on. Must be some strange electrical issue.

Offline Wilson13

• Technician
  • 20+ years appliance service tech,owner from 2002
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 09:28:35 PM »
power backfeed through dryer, unplug and plug back in at outlet, remove 220 outlet cover check for loose or burnt wiring.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 08:50:13 AM »
I agree with checking the power cord. I ran into the same problem where the Dryer ran but not the washer did not. I always start my diagnosis with checking for 120 or 240 Volt check. (At the wall recepticle and then the back of the machine).  The problem I ran into had to do with the a loose connection on the power block. One lead of the 240 Volt was loose and it literally arc'd and burn't through the connecting block. The power connecting block was mounted horizontally and the bottom lead of the wire was burn't through. On this particular model the bottom lead controlled the washer the top controlled the Dryer. The Dryer also ran but did not heat. I found out her handman installed a new 3 prong plug from a 4 prong plug but in the process the handyman lost a screw and did not have a fine thread screw so he just used what was lying around and it did not tighten down which caused the arc and then the burn't wire.

Offline Wilson13

• Technician
  • 20+ years appliance service tech,owner from 2002
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 09:59:19 AM »
Would like to know what you found out on this unit.

Frigidaire Washer - Noisy During Drain Cycle.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3921
Last post December 27, 2007, 07:54:12 PM
by AJ
GE Washer/Dryer Stackable will not click over to last cycle

Started by adarnell

Replies: 1
Views: 2172
Last post October 07, 2008, 10:46:55 AM
by JWWebster
washer stopped in the middle of a cycle and won't start again