Author Topic: GE Profile bottom freezer too cold, fridge seems okay  (Read 579 times)

Offline chrispitude

• VIP Member
GE Profile bottom freezer too cold, fridge seems okay
« on: March 09, 2014, 03:10:55 PM »
I just found your forum, and it's awesome! I hope someone can help us.

We have a GE Profile refrigerator (model #PFSF6PKXBB, bottom freezer) less than three years old. Lately, it's been getting harder and harder to scoop ice cream, and we've been slowly increasing the temperature setpoint. We're now at +8F and it's still way too cold.

No matter what, the displayed actual freezer temperature on the front panel is at its set point of +8F. If I change the set point to something else, the displayed actual freezer temperature slowly migrates to that value over the course of minutes, eventually stabilizing at that temperature.

*However*, when I place my outdoor Lacrosse digital temperature sensor in the freezer, the actual temperature varies anywhere between -3F and -12F below the set point.

I found the freezer temperature sensor in the freezer ceiling panel. I removed and tested it. In ice water, it reads about 13.6kohms, which I understand is normal for these. (GE, why do you have to use a different sensor, WR23X10580, with a different calibration curve for this model??)

Now here's where it gets really weird. With the freezer sensor removed, the unit still shows an actual freezer temperature on the display! When I change the freezer set point, the indicated actual temperature still drifts toward it over the course of several minutes! Throughout all of this, actual temperature remains 11-20F too cold. Where's this number coming from if I removed the sensor in the freezer ceiling?

Actual refrigerator temperature seems fine, right around the set point of 38F. However, last week the filter head in the upper right of the refrigerator cracked and started spraying water everywhere. Fortunately I caught it right when it happened, or I would have a serious household water damage situation on my hands. The filter head looks like water froze and expanded inside it (see attached). That is still a mystery, but one problem at a time.

Bad control board? Does it use some other sensor if the freezer sensor signal is invalid or missing? I am stumped.

Is it possible to get the service manual posted for the GE Profile bottom-freezer units?

Offline chrispitude

• VIP Member
Re: GE Profile bottom freezer too cold, fridge seems okay
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 03:46:03 PM »
Freezer currently thinks it's at +8F, but actual temp is -12F. See attached pictures.

I found the service manual here!

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=435

Off to do some light reading... Troubleshooting advice is still greatly appreciated!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 03:46:28 PM by chrispitude »

Offline chrispitude

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 04:46:59 PM »
Okay, so it looks like this thing has eight temperature sensors!

• Ice maker sensor
  • Refrigerator defrost sensor
  • Refrigerator sensor
  • Ambient sensor
  • Freezer sensor
  • Ice room sensor
  • Freezer defrost sensor
  • Pantry sensor

The service manual lists connected voltages and unconnected resistances as a function of temperature. What would the normal operating temperatures of these sensors be?

One possibility is that the unit takes the highest value of multiple freezer temperature sensors. If a sensor was defective and read too warm, it would explain why the unit is overcooling the freezer. It might also explain why the unit still shows a measured freezer temperature value even when I disconnect the main freezer temperature sensor.

Online go400

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 07:24:25 AM »
Refer to the service manual and measure the thermistor values at the motherboard J1 connector. You might find one is way off value.

Follow us on Google+

Here we go again, GE SxS Fridge/Freezer Warm on Top, Cold on Bottom.

Started by nobby

Replies: 30
Views: 1004
Last post August 06, 2014, 10:54:59 PM
by gscrandall
GE Profile Refrigerator and freezer not cold enough

Started by Dougj

Replies: 5
Views: 7578
Last post July 13, 2009, 04:37:30 PM
by JWWebster
MSD2756DEB Maytag side by side-freezer cold,but fridge is at 50 degree's

Started by djbrun

Replies: 7
Views: 3147
Last post September 07, 2009, 11:15:58 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
Fridge not cold enough, Freezer too cold.

Started by GiantSquid

Replies: 6
Views: 4631
Last post December 30, 2009, 09:04:30 PM
by Jos
LG LRBC20512TT Bottom Freezer Refrigerator NOT COOLING fridge area!

Started by contactbrady

Replies: 7
Views: 10370
Last post February 07, 2010, 03:55:46 PM
by contactbrady
fridge bottom freezer

Started by pallanesfour

Replies: 10
Views: 2684
Last post March 02, 2010, 01:54:53 PM
by pallanesfour