Author Topic: KitchenAid KSRS25QAWH01 Evap fan not working  (Read 857 times)

Offline tjoet

• VIP Member
KitchenAid KSRS25QAWH01 Evap fan not working
« on: March 08, 2014, 01:29:21 PM »
I am trying to repair a very weird situation with a KitchenAid KSRS25QAWH01.  It’s an older one but was working a few weeks ago and was good and cold.  Here are the symptoms:

First there are no lights in the refrigerator side or the freezer.  I did replace some of the bulbs and still no lights at all.  Secondly, the evaporator fan does not come on.  I thought it might be the adaptive defrost control (seen these cause spurious problems in the past) so I replaced the control board and still have the same problem.  One observation is that when I disconnect the connector (pictured red arrow) the compressor and condenser fan shut down and the evap fan comes on as long as the freezer door is open.  If I hold the freezer door switch in the closed position, the evap fan shuts down.

Does anyone have any idea what this is caused by?

Thanks for ANY ideas – tenants are moving in soon, need to get this thing running…
Joe

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: KitchenAid KSRS25QAWH01 Evap fan not working
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 11:14:07 AM »
Hi,

One observation is that when I disconnect the connector (pictured red arrow) the compressor and condenser fan shut down and the evap fan comes on as long as the freezer door is open.

So with everything connected the compressor runs, but it does not cool?

I have attached a copy of the tech sheet for this model.

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline tjoet

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 07:20:38 PM »
Hi,

One observation is that when I disconnect the connector (pictured red arrow) the compressor and condenser fan shut down and the evap fan comes on as long as the freezer door is open.

So with everything connected the compressor runs, but it does not cool?

I have attached a copy of the tech sheet for this model.

Thanks for the information.  When everything is connected the refrigerator would be working fine if I could just get the evaporator fan to run, it's nice a cold.  Oh, and then there is the lights, which I think is somehow related.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 07:40:56 PM »
One observation is that when I disconnect the connector (pictured red arrow) the compressor and condenser fan shut down and the evap fan comes on as long as the freezer door is open.  If I hold the freezer door switch in the closed position, the evap fan shuts down.

Looking at the diagram again you have two light switches and a third light interlock switch.
I would check that light interlock switch with a ohm meter.

Looks like it's the one located on the freezer side, part # 12466114
Should have three wires attached to it, Black, Yellow and Blue/Black one.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline tjoet

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 08:45:19 PM »
AJ, 

I did check that switch since it seemed to be working in reverse and it checked out OK.  I also checked to make sure the wires were on their designated terminals.

Joe

Offline Peyton

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 07:50:20 AM »
I could be wrong but looking at the wiring schematic you posted the refrig lamps and evap motor share a direct connection on the white wire (neutral). try ohming this wire to check and see if its open. I think whats happening is when you disconnect cabinet connector and close frzr light switch you are some how back feeding voltage to evap fan.

Offline tjoet

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 05:33:43 AM »
Sorry for the long delay in replying...

I checked the voltage at the evap fan.  using the ground (GRN) wire I get the 120v on the RED wire connected to the fan.  No matter what I do I cannot get lights to come on in the entire unit.  Since the lights use a YELLOW and WHT wire and the EVAP fan uses the same WHT wire, it has to be the WHT wire.  Agree?

Anyone know where the two wires (WHT & YEL) going into the top of the refrigerator from the controls go?  I have traced the wires from the block connector back into the freezer area and they all seem ok.

Offline tjoet

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 02:46:35 PM »
Before I forget, Thanks Payton!  I seem to end up right where you mentioned each time I look at this old box.

Not gonna let it beat me though.  Here is today's results:

1. I forgot to ohm the white, White wire seems to show continuity across yellow (Lights) at any point
    2. NO LIGHTS ANYWHERE here after referred to as nL
    3. Block (red arrow pic) unplugged and Power On = no compressor, no condenser fan, Evap Fan runs, nL.
    4. Reconnect Block and turn off at cold control = Evap Fan Runs, no compressor, no condenser fan, nL.
    5. Unplugged Red wire from cold control = same as 4.
    6. Voltage at the Evap Fan connectors = red-green:120V, white-green:120V, red-white:0V
    7. Rechecked the freezer door switch, yellow-black:closed switch open, yellow-black:open switch depressed, blue (bk tracer)-black:open switch open, opposite when switch depressed.[/li]

Compressor does not get hot, nice and warm.  Great frost pattern on evaporator coils. Used a Laser thermo and got a  Temp of -10 at the bottom of the evaporator coil after running about 20 minutes (remember no fan for circulation.)

Not to be redundant but the lights trouble me most.  I am thinking the white wire has somehow gotten connected to the yellow and thus back-feeding the voltage all over the place.  My next visit I am planning to check each of the light sockets and wiring to ensure someone has not used a regular bulb and melted the wires together.  When I check the continuity of the white wire I get a closed reading when I touch any yellow wire.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 02:47:52 PM by tjoet »

Offline Peyton

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 07:35:50 PM »
dont forget if reading continuity between white and yellow while light bulbs are installed you will get continuity. now if bulbs are removed and you are gettin a reading then you know for a fact at that point that yellow and white are shorted together at some point whether in cabinet or at one of the sockets. good luck!

Kitchenaid icemaker not working

Started by AC

Replies: 3
Views: 4176
Last post September 25, 2007, 12:43:23 PM
by Pegi
Frigidaire Evap Fan motor not working

Started by jumptrout51

Replies: 10
Views: 9521
Last post May 25, 2008, 02:55:57 PM
by JWWebster
Kitchenaid Superba Fridge Ice Machine Not Working. Help Needed

Started by bobafart

Replies: 11
Views: 36438
Last post October 05, 2009, 11:05:32 PM
by krazytech
KitchenAid Superba. Been working on this one for a while now. Need help!

Started by Ronyeager

Replies: 13
Views: 2455
Last post November 29, 2011, 12:29:00 AM
by Brent@CanBC
KitchenAid ice maker not working

Started by cjccmc

Replies: 5
Views: 1109
Last post May 24, 2014, 03:45:22 PM
by cjccmc
Video: See if your Whirlpool Ice maker infrared optics control is working.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 45369
Last post August 01, 2007, 12:21:37 PM
by AJ